One Length Iron Talk

10,599 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mateo84
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoDog said:

Typical. Exciting deliveries that you really look forward to never come on a Thursday or Friday....
You nailed it.

Basically me when the UPS site updated:

EMY92
AG
When I'm excited for a UPS delivery, they never get to my house before 9:30 PM. If I am getting new socks from Amazon, they arrive by 2 PM.
irish pete ag06
AG
UPS moved delivery day back 2 days to Wednesday

DannyDuberstein
AG
That means it's gonna rain Wed to Friday
Pepper Brooks
AG
I got fitted for clubs today and put about 30 rounds through the f9 one length clubs. I ended up getting the f9s but the one length part was too much of a mind fk for me to pull the trigger on.

It sounded great in theory but I'd have to retrain thirty years of behavior and couldn't justify it. Love the regular length f9s though.
Mateo84
AG
Mateo84 said:

I switched to Cobra F9's a few months ago. Went with single length utility iron all the way through to 60 degree. I haven't yet noticed a huge change in my scores. I do feel like I am more consistent though. My highest scores are lower now, but my handicap hasn't come down yet.

I'm certainly more consistent with iron shots throughout the bag. Still working out a few distance gapping issues, mostly between long irons and woods. I've committed to sticking with this for at least one year before giving up on it, but right now, I don't see any reason to give up. I'm not a whole lot better than I was before, but I'm definitely not worse, and I think I will get better and even more consistent with time. We're talking about only maybe 8 rounds of golf and the same number of range sessions so far.

I also put the exact same shaft in my 3 wood and 5 wood (I don't play a hybrid) at the same length, so those clubs are swinging the same. In my head, that means 3 swings: driver, fairway metals, and irons. In reality, I don't think that's really true, but it helps me to at least think about my swing that way.

Update: I'm about 3 months into this One Length experiment. I'm considering ditching the 60 degree one length wedge in exchange for a standard length wedge for around the greens. I feel like my touch is suffering around the greens, and I'm choking down on the one length wedge everywhere except from the fairway, and I rarely hit full 60 degree wedge shots from the fairway anyway.

Also considering ditching the one length utility iron for a 7 wood at 5 wood length. Currently playing a driver at standard length, and a 3 wood and 5 wood both with the exact same shaft and shaft length (at 5 wood length).
BoDog
AG
Mateo, I am right there with you regarding the wedge the near the green. As much as I love my one length f9's, the experiment with the wedge wasnt going to work. I still use the 60 degree anywhere from 30-60 yards out, but hitting it near the green was damn well impossible for me. I had to go back to my old/trusted cleveland wedge circa 1993.
BESCo91
AG
I play single length irons (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, LW).
The length, head weight, offset, bounce, swing weight are all identical.
The only variable is the loft.

I play single length woods (3, 5, 7).
The length, head weight, offset, swing weight are all identical.
Cubic volume of head varies, but the head weight is identical.

Like a dumb ass, I started playing golf later in life.
Having multiple set-ups and multiple ball positions was a bit overwhelming.
I switched to single-length play for more consistent ball striking.
It worked.

Certainly NOT for everybody .... if I was a single digit guy playing variable length, I wouldn't change a thing!
irish pete ag06
AG
BESCo91 said:

I play single length irons (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, LW).
The length, head weight, offset, bounce, swing weight are all identical.
The only variable is the loft.

I play single length woods (3, 5, 7).
The length, head weight, offset, swing weight are all identical.
Cubic volume of head varies, but the head weight is identical.

Like a dumb ass, I started playing golf later in life.
Having multiple set-ups and multiple ball positions was a bit overwhelming.
I switched to single-length play for more consistent ball striking.
It worked.

Certainly NOT for everybody .... if I was a single digit guy playing variable length, I wouldn't change a thing!
What brand clubs do you play? That sounds like a Pinhawk style setup.
BESCo91
AG
Club maker out of Ohio called One Iron Golf.

Length is determined by your wrist-to-floor measurement.
That works out to a 7/8i-ish length for most people.
You can PM me if ya want to.
irish pete ag06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That means it's gonna rain Wed to Friday
This is effing prophetic. Plus I coach softball and have a playoff game Thursday. If we'll go ahead and win, I'll have all day Saturday, but if it gets rained out and/or we lose, we could have a possible double header Saturday.

Oh well. I'll be at the range rain or shine tonight, which just had toptracer installed, so I'll be able to compare with my old clubs.
irish pete ag06
AG
BESCo91 said:

Club maker out of Ohio called One Iron Golf.

Length is determined by your wrist-to-floor measurement.
That works out to a 7/8i-ish length for most people.
You can PM me if ya want to.
I've read up on them. Their clubs look awesome.
irish pete ag06
AG
Took the Pinhawks to the range today and I'm in love with this concept already. I got more and more consistent as I went through the bucket of balls. My gapping and ball flight was fine. I actually loved the higher ball flight with the wedges. My 4 iron flew nearly identically to my Ping G2 4 iron. All of my yardages are nearly the exact same as my old Pings.

The consistency, I am going to love.

The next time out at the range I'm going to practice my short game a ton with the full size LW and see how I like that.
BESCo91
AG
Great! Good to hear!
BoDog
AG
Crazy question, but being a strong OL ally, I am curious what is the school of thought to cut your driver to the same length? Asking because my driver is not nearly as consistent as it used to be since switching to the OL irons.

Yes, I know yardage will suffer but if I could hit 230-240 straight down the fairway each time, I will take that any day of the week....
irish pete ag06
AG
BoDog said:

Crazy question, but being a strong OL ally, I am curious what is the school of thought to cut your driver to the same length? Asking because my driver is not nearly as consistent as it used to be since switching to the OL irons.

Yes, I know yardage will suffer but if I could hit 230-240 straight down the fairway each time, I will take that any day of the week....
I didn't cut it to same length, but I did buy a heavy 3 wood shaft and put it on my driver. Driver was shortened by about 3 or 4 inches and now I hit the sweet spot much more and my miss is not as bad.
irish pete ag06
AG
Just to update. I've been to the range 3 times. This last trip was phenomenal. Really starting to groove the swing and make it repeatable for each club. Gaps ended up being perfect. I love the height that the wedges fly.

I also took some time at the chipping and pitching greens. After a couple of mi****s, I really feel like I strike this LW way more consistently than I did my old Vokey (I've been playing the same Vokey for nearly 10 years). Balls flies nice and high and lands soft. I used to blade my vokey a lot and I think i only bladed the one length LW once. I think the longer club makes my posture much more comfortable on my pitches.

I practiced the Rule of 12 style chipping with these clubs and I was really impressed with the results. I think chipping this way is made even easier by using single length. It allows for the same chipping stroke whether it's a 6 iron or a SW.

I am pretty fired up about this endeavor. Cannot wait to play my first round with them.
investorAg83
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Just to update. I've been to the range 3 times. This last trip was phenomenal. Really starting to groove the swing and make it repeatable for each club. Gaps ended up being perfect. I love the height that the wedges fly.

I also took some time at the chipping and pitching greens. After a couple of mi****s, I really feel like I strike this LW way more consistently than I did my old Vokey (I've been playing the same Vokey for nearly 10 years). Balls flies nice and high and lands soft. I used to blade my vokey a lot and I think i only bladed the one length LW once. I think the longer club makes my posture much more comfortable on my pitches.

I practiced the Rule of 12 style chipping with these clubs and I was really impressed with the results. I think chipping this way is made even easier by using single length. It allows for the same chipping stroke whether it's a 6 iron or a SW.

I am pretty fired up about this endeavor. Cannot wait to play my first round with them.
I look forward to your future contribution to the 'eff golf' thread.

J/K. Really curious to hear your scoring results.
MCAg09
AG
Update. I've had the single length irons for a few months now and just broke 80 for the first time ever with a 78! So I definitely still like my decision.
inozips
AG
Everything old is new again.....played the Tommy Armour EQLs thirty years ago. Still like the idea of one less variable. Those were a six iron length. Some of you "olds" may remember the Tommy Armour 845s. The EQLs has a similar club head. Stayed with them three years before going to beryllium copper Eye 2s.

Moral of the story - Did not help & did not hurt, make sure you get longer grips on irons you chip with. You are going to want to go down the shaft.

Fair amount of truth in the old saw...."it's the Indian not the arrows".
Mateo84
AG
Update on OL for me:
Was struggling with my 3 wood but crushing my 5 wood consistently. Originally put the same shaft in my 3 wood and 5 wood at the same length, but just couldn't get comfortable with the 3 wood for some reason. Apparently the swing weight was slightly off when I had the 3W shaft shortened to match the 5W, so I refitted for a new shaft, which will be back at standard length. Now driver, 3W, 5W will all be back to variable/standard length. Ditched the Cobra OL 60 degree for a standard length 58, and couldn't be happier about it.

Hanging in there with the irons (5i through 54 deg wedge) in one length for now. Still pretty happy with the consistent ball striking there, but not sure it's dramatically different than standard length clubs would be. We'll see.

Side note: I use the Cobra Connect grips with Arccos and really like that system.
MCAg09
AG
Yeah I just have 4i to 8i in 8 iron length so 9, PW, AW, and 54 58 are shorter which I like and I didn't do anything to the woods or driver. I'm still thinking about ordering 9 and PW in 8 iron length though.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
845s and BeCu Eye 2s
Two of the best sets of irons ever.
Mateo84
AG
UPDATE ON MY ONE-LENGTH EXPERIMENT:

It's over.

After playing with them for 9-10 months, I've decided they weren't for me. As a former 16-17 hcp a year ago, (and now a 10 hcp), I think I am probably a good example of who these SHOULD work for. My hcp came down, but that's because I started taking lessons and played nearly 60 rounds of golf in the last year (more than I had played in my entire life combined before this year).

I use Arccos for every round (which isn't perfect, but I do like it), and it helped me discover several things:
1. My one-length 4i, 5i, and 6i all went basically the same distance (separated by only 3 yards). My one-length 4i was also about 20-25 yards shorter than my standard length 4i on average. After months of use, I came to the conclusion that there just wasn't enough clubhead speed to get the proper height on my long iron shots and thus the proper carry distances. Initially I thought that wasn't the case, but it turned out to be true in the long run. I also tried the one length utility iron (3i) with a graphite shaft for several months with basically the same outcome unfortunately.

2. I got better at golf over the last year in all aspects EXCEPT approach shots/iron play. Driving, chipping, bunker play, and putting all got significantly better over the last year, but my iron play did not. This is very clearly backed up by my Arccos stats. I believe the reason for this is the lack of appropriate yardage gaps with my long irons as described above PLUS worsened accuracy and consistency with my short irons due to playing longer clubs than needed for 8i-GW.

I also originally started with a 3W and 5W at the same length. That didn't work for gapping reasons despite adjustable lofts on the woods so I went back to standard lengths and they work fine now. I also initially played 4i-LW at one length and eventually dropped the LW for standard length and then did the same with the SW soon after. Scoring around the greens quickly improved after changing back to shorter (standard length) wedges.

So what did I change to? Picked up a set of Titleist T-300 irons 4i-GW. So far, I'm in love with these clubs. The soles are narrower/smaller, but iron lofts are similar (compared to the Cobra F9 One-lengths I was playing). Haven't had the T-300's on the course yet (and obviously haven't racked up 50+ rounds of Arccos data), but after two range sessions, I can tell you that my iron play is going to be DRAMATICALLY improved. Long irons are flying much higher and further than with one-length, and short irons are much easier to hit at standard length now. Not sure why (maybe not trying to force distances as much and letting the club do the work naturally), but I find these irons much easier to hit than the one-lengths for some reason (maybe the sole design just fits me better, I don't know - I didn't get fitted for the one-lengths because I don't think anyone really knows how to fit for them yet).

I'll update again in a few months with my thoughts on how my game has changed since going back to standard length clubs after playing one lengths for nearly a year. I'm also curious to see what the future holds for one length clubs in general. I'm sure Cobra will have another new and improved version coming out soon.
G Martin 87
AG
Mateo84 said:

UPDATE ON MY ONE-LENGTH EXPERIMENT:

It's over.

After playing with them for 9-10 months, I've decided they weren't for me. As a former 16-17 hcp a year ago, (and now a 10 hcp), I think I am probably a good example of who these SHOULD work for. My hcp came down, but that's because I started taking lessons and played nearly 60 rounds of golf in the last year (more than I had played in my entire life combined before this year).

I use Arccos for every round (which isn't perfect, but I do like it), and it helped me discover several things:
1. My one-length 4i, 5i, and 6i all went basically the same distance (separated by only 3 yards). My one-length 4i was also about 20-25 yards shorter than my standard length 4i on average. After months of use, I came to the conclusion that there just wasn't enough clubhead speed to get the proper height on my long iron shots and thus the proper carry distances. Initially I thought that wasn't the case, but it turned out to be true in the long run. I also tried the one length utility iron (3i) with a graphite shaft for several months with basically the same outcome unfortunately.

2. I got better at golf over the last year in all aspects EXCEPT approach shots/iron play. Driving, chipping, bunker play, and putting all got significantly better over the last year, but my iron play did not. This is very clearly backed up by my Arccos stats. I believe the reason for this is the lack of appropriate yardage gaps with my long irons as described above PLUS worsened accuracy and consistency with my short irons due to playing longer clubs than needed for 8i-GW.

I also originally started with a 3W and 5W at the same length. That didn't work for gapping reasons despite adjustable lofts on the woods so I went back to standard lengths and they work fine now. I also initially played 4i-LW at one length and eventually dropped the LW for standard length and then did the same with the SW soon after. Scoring around the greens quickly improved after changing back to shorter (standard length) wedges.

So what did I change to? Picked up a set of Titleist T-300 irons 4i-GW. So far, I'm in love with these clubs. The soles are narrower/smaller, but iron lofts are similar (compared to the Cobra F9 One-lengths I was playing). Haven't had the T-300's on the course yet (and obviously haven't racked up 50+ rounds of Arccos data), but after two range sessions, I can tell you that my iron play is going to be DRAMATICALLY improved. Long irons are flying much higher and further than with one-length, and short irons are much easier to hit at standard length now. Not sure why (maybe not trying to force distances as much and letting the club do the work naturally), but I find these irons much easier to hit than the one-lengths for some reason (maybe the sole design just fits me better, I don't know - I didn't get fitted for the one-lengths because I don't think anyone really knows how to fit for them yet).

I'll update again in a few months with my thoughts on how my game has changed since going back to standard length clubs after playing one lengths for nearly a year. I'm also curious to see what the future holds for one length clubs in general. I'm sure Cobra will have another new and improved version coming out soon.
Thanks for the update. Very insightful feedback; having the Arccos data to show where your improvement is really coming from is key.
Mateo84
AG
Totally agree. The data averaged over long periods is very helpful.

I don't want this to devolve into an Arccos talk, but some of it you have to think about critically ... for instance, if you miss a lot of greens, your putting stats will probably be better because your next shot is a chip to get the ball closer to the hole than you would have if you had hit the GIR from the fairway. That means shorter putting distances, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.