One Length Iron Talk

10,601 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mateo84
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only saw where these had been discussed a little on the Bryson thread. I would be interested to hear anyone who has switched to them and what their results were good and bad.
Mateo84
AG
I switched to Cobra F9's a few months ago. Went with single length utility iron all the way through to 60 degree. I haven't yet noticed a huge change in my scores. I do feel like I am more consistent though. My highest scores are lower now, but my handicap hasn't come down yet.

I'm certainly more consistent with iron shots throughout the bag. Still working out a few distance gapping issues, mostly between long irons and woods. I've committed to sticking with this for at least one year before giving up on it, but right now, I don't see any reason to give up. I'm not a whole lot better than I was before, but I'm definitely not worse, and I think I will get better and even more consistent with time. We're talking about only maybe 8 rounds of golf and the same number of range sessions so far.

I also put the exact same shaft in my 3 wood and 5 wood (I don't play a hybrid) at the same length, so those clubs are swinging the same. In my head, that means 3 swings: driver, fairway metals, and irons. In reality, I don't think that's really true, but it helps me to at least think about my swing that way.
Mateo84
AG
From today:

DannyDuberstein
AG
there's a really good, super long thread on golfwrx with feedback of those who switched over the past few years. definitely seem to be mixed results. a few consistent themes I've seen:

• consistency of direction improved, but that advantage was somewhat offset by yardage gap challenges.
  • need to be prepared to go with hybrid 4 and 5 to deal with the yardage gap created by the longer irons, and then keeping regular length wedges for feel around the greens (at least gap and SW).
  • the 4's and 5's ball flight is pretty low and somewhat rely on roll-out to get to max distance, but obviously, with approach shots, roll-out isn't necessarily an option
irish pete ag06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

there's a really good, super long thread on golfwrx with feedback of those who switched over the past few years. definitely seem to be mixed results. a few consistent themes I've seen:

• consistency of direction improved, but that advantage was somewhat offset by yardage gap challenges.
  • need to be prepared to go with hybrid 4 and 5 to deal with the yardage gap created by the longer irons, and then keeping regular length wedges for feel around the greens (at least gap and SW).
  • the 4's and 5's ball flight is pretty low and somewhat rely on roll-out to get to max distance, but obviously, with approach shots, roll-out isn't necessarily an option

Yeah. I've read a ton of stuff on thesandtrap and GolfWrx. I've also watched a lot of youtube videos.

I think I'm willing to sacrifice those things for more consistent ball striking.

And from what I've read, the gapping issues in the long irons is mitigated a little by having a higher swing speed, which I think I would be ok with.

My current thought is to possibly go:

• Driver & 3/4 Wood (same length and swing weight)
  • Possibly a driving iron to fill the 220-240 gape (this depends on how the OL 3 iron flies)
  • 3 - PW or GW OL irons
  • SW and/or LW at the same length.

That would put at max 4 different swings and spine angles in your bag. Only 3 swings if the 3 iron works in the driving iron gap.

E
AG
I have always been pretty intrigued by the one length concept and wanted to try it. Edwin Watts had a "used" hybrid in perfect condition for like $100. I bought it and am gonna take it to the range this week to test it out. I'm hoping this thing can replace my 4i as I can't hit that for crap.
Oso96
AG
I have played Edel SLS01 for a little over a year now. It was little difficult getting used to swing a longer wedge but after I got used to it is easy. I have always played to around an 9-12 handicap, but after switching to these my handicap is dropping fast. I hit 13-16 gir in the last two rounds I have played, which is up from the 8-10 that I was hitting.

I have tried the Sterling and Cobra but like the Edel much better. I have 4-PW at 8 iron length. I was always intrigued by the concept and decided to give it a shot.
irish pete ag06
AG
So I've found pinhawks. They are cheap but get good marks around the net. Wish they made a 3 iron, but their 4 iron is 20* so it's pretty damn strong already.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm lefty, so it makes things like this more complicated as far as scoring an eBay deal.
khaos288
AG
I dipped my toe.

I play 8, 9, pw, gw, sw, lw all at 36.25"

Basically any club I'm expecting to hit greens with more often than not, is the same length. I have noticed a little more consistency in those clubs. Makes warming up easier.
irish pete ag06
AG
I think the golf gods are sending me a message. 6 iron broke at the driving range today.
irish pete ag06
AG
Getting really close to taking the plunge on some pinhawks. Found this website which seems to make a set for cheaper than valuegolf.

http://www.singlelength.com/

I'm going to call them and talk to them first.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ok. Just went in head first and bought 4-LW from that website above.

Found a lefty on YouTube that plays em, including the wedges. I also called that company and they are based out of Arizona.

I'll report back on here in a couple of weeks to update my experience.
Mr.Bond
AG

I know Rick has some issues with the ball flight and stopping power as well as distance I think. It's been a while since I watched this
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

irish pete ag06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I know Rick has some issues with the ball flight and stopping power as well as distance I think. It's been a while since I watched this

I'm fine with rollout on the long irons if it means more consistent ball striking.
Mr.Bond
AG
Fair enough to each his own
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

irish pete ag06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Fair enough to each his own

That definitely seems to be consistent with almost all reviews I've seen (in regards to the long irons rolling out)
irish pete ag06
AG
Here are some good in depth videos. This guy has had them in the bag for a year now and he reviews crap tons of clubs.

His original review of the Pinhawks

Here's where he expands on them the first time...

Here's his on course review:

Here's where he expands on them the second time a little more in depth.
BoDog
AG
In all honestly somebody like Rick wouldnt be attracted to the OL in the first place. Its like someone who drives a Porsche and test drives a Honda and *****es about the differences in torque. I'm exaggerating of course, but you get my point.

I posted recently that I have been using the Cobra F9 one lengths and they have been a drastic improvement to my game. I am a forty something white dude that simply got tired and tired of shooting in the mid/low 90s (Calloway Epics) and that is on a good day.

I have always surmised that my driving and putting were actually that of a low handicap golfer and it was the irons that F'ed me all up and the F9s prove my case. For whatever reason I just could not consistently hit them and yes I was fitted for my Calloways.

As I stated before, every shot is the same identical swing plane. I really don't have to think about anything. Walk to ball, address the ball, hit the ball, and it goes where I think it will. Its almost like the Truman show when I hit my irons-but suspense on the golf course isn't something I am interested in. No doubt that I probably lose about 10 yards, but distance is overrated when you are hitting them straight. I will say for someone like me, breaking 90 just about every time out feels really good.

Just my 2 cents....
irish pete ag06
AG
BoDog said:

In all honestly somebody like Rick wouldnt be attracted to the OL in the first place. Its like someone who drives a Porsche and test drives a Honda and *****es about the differences in torque. I'm exaggerating of course, but you get my point.

I posted recently that I have been using the Cobra F9 one lengths and they have been a drastic improvement to my game. I am a forty something white dude that simply got tired and tired of shooting in the mid/low 90s (Calloway Epics) and that is on a good day.

I have always surmised that my driving and putting were actually that of a low handicap golfer and it was the irons that F'ed me all up and the F9s prove my case. For whatever reason I just could not consistently hit them and yes I was fitted for my Calloways.

As I stated before, every shot is the same identical swing plane. I really don't have to think about anything. Walk to ball, address the ball, hit the ball, and it goes where I think it will. Its almost like the Truman show when I hit my irons-but suspense on the golf course isn't something I am interested in. No doubt that I probably lose about 10 yards, but distance is overrated when you are hitting them straight. I will say for someone like me, breaking 90 just about every time out feels really good.

Just my 2 cents....
Very cool. Thanks for the 2 cents.

I am somewhat of a similar mindset as you.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Before I switched to OL my 4 iron was one of my most consistent clubs.

I have a hard time mentally hitting my 4 and 5 iron Cobra OL. I just cannot get comfortable over the ball with them.

I'm debating getting away from the OL

austinag1997
AG
I have a hard time believing that changing shaft lengths is productive for 99% of golfers. Swing consistency is what golfers strive for. Change shaft lengths and I would be toast.
MCAg09
AG
I just purchased 4,5,6, and 7 at my 8 iron length. Then left the 9 and wedges alone. I'm a shorter guy about 5'7 and always have trouble with the longer irons. I bought the black cobra KING FORGED TEC BLACK. I'll try to remember to check back in a few weeks and give an update.
E
AG
WoodlandsAg09 said:

I just purchased 4,5,6, and 7 at my 8 iron length. Then left the 9 and wedges alone. I'm a shorter guy about 5'7 and always have trouble with the longer irons. I bought the black cobra KING FORGED TEC BLACK. I'll try to remember to check back in a few weeks and give an update.

I am in same situation. Shorter guy and want to do the 4-7 in same length. Let us know how it goes!
irish pete ag06
AG
WoodlandsAg09 said:

All things aside those clubs are damn sexy.
irish pete ag06
AG
Man I cannot wait for the clubs to get here. Along with that my nearby driving range is installing top tracer this week.

I carry an old Callaway 1 iron and a Ping G2, HL 2 iron.

These are gonna be my gap clubs between the driver and the Pinhawk irons. The other day I used some lead tape and was able to get them identical in weight and swing weight. The 1 iron is a little over a half inch longer, so my plan now is to butt cut it and use more lead tape to get it back to same weight and swing weight as the 2 iron. That'll put 3 swings in my bag: driver, driving iron, iron/wedge.
Oso96
AG
Make sure you use the same ball position on those clubs. That was the hardest thing for me was trying to forget the loft and just swing the club.
BoDog
AG
Strangely enough it was ball position that was perhaps the most difficult thing to manage/figure out. I always had the the ball way back in my stance with the short irons. Now I position all shots just barely right of center.
irish pete ag06
AG
BoDog said:

Strangely enough it was ball position that was perhaps the most difficult thing to manage/figure out. I always had the the ball way back in my stance with the short irons. Now I position all shots just barely right of center.

My irons aren't in yet but I've read this same thing so many times it's ingrained in my brain to keep the ball in the same spot for all the clubs.
BoDog
AG
Pete, give us a review after a few rounds on how you like the Pinhawks. They seem like a hell of a lot of club for the money!
E
AG
I just went to pinhawks website and with custom fit clubs 4-PW it is running only $316... I am very intrigued
irish pete ag06
AG
My local range is installing top tracer range as we speak, perfect timing for getting my gaps right with these clubs and comparing them with my old clubs.
JR Ewingford
DannyDuberstein said:

Those points are just about dead on. I've tried he F9 One length and likely will be selling my set soon. I don't see enough difference to stick with em.
BTD
Nm
irish pete ag06
AG
UPS says the pinhawks will be here Monday.
BoDog
AG
Typical. Exciting deliveries that you really look forward to never come on a Thursday or Friday....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.