One length clubs for juniors

852 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jj9000
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have recently bit the bullet and purchased the one length Cobra F9s (I think Bryson is onto something). For the first time in my old life I can break 90. They immediately shaved 5-7 strokes off my handicap. To say I am a believer would be an understatement. Every swing is practically the same one as before. Sure I give up some distance but damn near every ball goes straight and pretty much where I expect it to go.

Now my question is in regards to my 10 year old who has been playing about a year. Even with lessons, I sometimes think he is regressing and definitively overthinks things-ie, feet, swing plane, ball placement, distance from ball, etc. Cobra makes these F9s in junior sets. I am tempted to have him take a go at these one lengths but I fear once I do there is not going back from a development perspective. Ie, it could really mess him up as he gets older and his game progresses. Maybe it is me that is overthinking things, but if you were me, would you hold off and let him keep doing what he's doing or put him in the one lengths for a year and see what happens?
class_of_26_ag
https://www.cobragolf.com/shop-by/youth

This is all they have. I'd get him a set and ask someone to cut them to the same height if he really wants to do it. I was in the same analytical stage and was regressing a couple years and ended up switching pros. Its all about what works best for him.
class_of_26_ag
class_of_26_ag
https://www.cobragolf.com/king-f7-junior-one-length-iron-set

Never mind I found some
jj9000
AG
You're overthinking things.

At 10...he should be seeing ball...hitting ball. Not much else. If you or a coach has 100 things going through his head...that's not the kids fault. Get that swing plane garbage out of his head. Zero reason why a 10 YO should even know what swing plane is.

As far as equipment goes...US Kids or Flynn Golf has the best options for Jrs...and it's really not close. I know the OEMs make clubs for Jrs...but I don't see any of the 'good' kids bagging clubs from OEMs. OEMs are way behind the curve when it comes to Jr. golf (with the exception of Drivers).

I don't see anything wrong with trying the one length experiment. Nothing wrong with it...and it's not difficult to switch out of. It really depends on why he is playing the game. For fun? Competitively? Reason I bring it up is b/c I haven't seen a set of one-length clubs being played from 7-12 YO in Tournament play.

Lastly...and this is a simplification. Nothing really matters until 12-13 years old...or when the kid hits puberty. Up until that time...it should be basic fundamentals (grip/stance/posture) instruction and then 'see ball - hit ball'. Once they're 12-13, their swing will change.

Hope this helps.

BoDog
AG
Thanks JJ. I appreciate the feedback. Though I think the "see ball, hit ball" is more reserved for a 5-8 year old, I see your point.
jj9000
AG
BoDog said:

Thanks JJ. I appreciate the feedback. Though I think the "see ball, hit ball" is more reserved for a 5-8 year old, I see your point.
If the fundamentals are sound (grip/stance/posture)...'see ball - hit ball' can be applied to any age.

It's not literally seeing the ball and taking a wild-ass swing at it. It's relying on time and reps spent in preparation...prior to standing over a shot that matters. It's freeing up the brain...and thinking about 1-2 things...then swinging.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.