Masters Info/Recap if you went...

4,719 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tavery58
oldschool87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trip #: 1
Handicap: 3
Day(s) attended: Th, Fri
Hole(s) spent most time on: 11,12,13 16, 17
Who did you want to win: Phil

Overall impressions/recap:
I don't even know where to start, could type a novel... If you have never been, and your an avid golfer or fan, it is a MUST DO!

• I was told how hilly it was, and how the greens are simply just not flat, over and over and over. So, they are, but that is not what was impressive to me at all. The size of the golf course, specifically in length, is unbelievable!!! Take your golf course, put it on your IPad, and then just stretch it as wide as the screen will go. Your probably about half way!
  • 2/8 fairway, is easily 120 yards wide, easily... I would say a golfer who can break 85 every other time, would be hitting 3 shots to a number of the par 4's... Its one thing to be 495, its another to be 495 up hill around a corner.
  • There are no more quiet marshalls... There use to be 10 guys around the green all holding up signs to be quiet, they are all gone. The Patrons are way past needing anyone to tell them anything. When someone hit, it got quiet.
  • The bunkers, same thing... you can't see out of most of them, they are just huge!
  • Pimento cheese sandwich, coke, bag of chips, 5 bucks. BBQ sandwich, 3 bucks, chicken sandwich 3 bucks. Beer 5 bucks.
  • Not so much as a gum wrapper on the course, anywhere...
  • Asked a guy where he got his cigar, he just gave it to me. Never did find out.
  • Bathrooms, 50 stalls, in and out in 2 minutes.
  • Buy something at the pro shop, dont want to carry it all day, check it for free. 100 people in front of you, in and out in 4 minutes!
  • If there is a logistic they have solved it.
  • The most pleasant experience at a sporting event, there is no 2nd place!
  • All, that and we have not even talked about the golf part...
  • Stood next to Phil and Tiger. Followed both on Friday, spent a ton of time at 16 green and 17 tee. I was on tv and have my picture watching Tiger and Rahm swing on Friday.
  • You could leave your wallet in your chair for 3 hours, come back and I believe it would still be there.
  • You can put your chairs down at 16, come back 5 hours later and they have not been touched.
  • I would put chairs down at 16, between 17. Watch them hit the shot, then simply turn around and watch them tee off on 17, its only about 15 - 20 feet there. Or get in the grandstands so you can see 15 and 16...
  • While they are getting to 16, I would go back to 3 and 4. You can watch them come in and again watch them tee off.
  • And then seats on 11, you can watch 11 and 12.

Probably to long, but was absolutely blown away!
BigHitterDaLama
It's the little things there......last time I was there was 14.

Sitting at Green #1, watched a big leaf blow into the left bunker. A ground attendant comes and gets it, crumbles it in his hand, and puts it in his pocket.

Chairs are all green for a reason.....so if they are empty, they blend into the grass.

Don't even start about the driving range.....Wow.
bgrimm05
AG
Definitely a bucket list item.
aggiejumper
AG
Trip #: 1
Handicap: Wife and I don't play golf
Day(s) attended: Tuesday
Hole(s) spent most time on: 1,9
Who did you want to win: Tiger or Kuchar

Overall impressions/recap:
Everything above is true, all of the info from Boo is spot on and a huge help for a newbie non-golfer. After arriving at 7am and hitting the merchandise shop first, we only had time to walk the front 9 as the weather horn blew at 10:30am and we ended up leaving before the gates re-opened at 1pmn. Rain was predicted all day, we should've stayed but hind site is 20/20. I've been fortunate to attend a lot of sporting events for sports I don't participate in and this is the best experience just eclipsing the Derby. I can imagine with great weather and seeing the full course in it's true glory along with actually seeing golfers (only saw Charlie Hoffman birdy 1 then tee off 9 then the horn blew) it would be the best experience by a mile. Hope we get draw in the lottery again someday.
Hop Sing
No trip to the Masters is complete without a Waffle House meal.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
I had a badge for Thursday and Friday, and then got incredibly lucky to get a Sunday badge as well.

Thursday:
-We put chairs down at 16 green, we were slightly up the hill towards the concessions and merchandise shop behind 16. Final concessions tally was 2 BBQ Sandwiches, 4 beers, 2 peach ice cream sandwiches. Phenomenal day, watching tee shots come into 16 green and the undulation of the green is a sight to see.

Friday:
-Chairs at Amen Corner, just to the right of 12 tee box. Pretty tough pin placement on Friday, so a lot of conservative shots into 12 green. We could also see 11 green from where we were sitting, there were a number of nice putts on 11 green, including Tiger's birdie.

Sunday:
-Secured a Sunday badge at 11:30 PM on Saturday night, after my flight back to Dallas was cancelled on Saturday. We got to the course when it opened on Sunday, spent the first hour and a half walking the front 9, had chairs at 9 green. When Tiger went off at 9:20, we were at 1 tee. Followed Tiger/Molinari/Finau all 18 holes, up to and including the bogey putt at 18 that gave Tiger the win and his 5th green jacket. The energy at AGNC on Sunday was unlike anything I've ever seen. The roar after Tiger's birdie at 16 was deafening. Following Tiger on Sunday, when he won the Masters, was an unreal experience that I will tell my grandkids about.

I don't think words exist in the English language to describe how freaking cool it was to be there. This was my 3rd time at the Masters, and by FAR the most memorable.
ddub96
AG
To add one thing regarding good locations for viewing...

Behind 7 green is one of my favorite locations. #2 green is down and to the right a bit. Can see shots coming in plus walk a couple of hundred feet and see it up close. #3 tee is in between you and #2 green. Great view going up that fairway especially if seating location is favoring that side of green. Further right of #2 is the #8 fairway (tee area is just behind you and to right). Directly behind you is #17 green with fairway off to your left. Huge leaderboard behind you with restrooms and concession an easy walk around #8 tee. My favorite spot is #12 tee but #7 green is a close second.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Did you call into the Dan Patrick show this morning?
aggiedadofpanda
AG
I did not, but one of the guys in my group with me did! Incredible moment...
watty
AG
Yeah that view from behind #7 is incredible.
AustinCountyAg
elaborate on the Dan Patrick thing please
aggiedadofpanda
AG
We were between 7 green and 8 tee right on the ropes of the walkway. Tiger walked by coming off of 7 green, and there was a moment we were fist pumping and yelling "you got this!" Tiger broke focus for just a half second, looked at us, nodded, and said "WE got this". He was very aware that the whole crowd was behind him. Just a neat moment.

One of the guys I was with called into the Dan Patrick show this morning and told the story. It started with us getting badges kind of out of the blue on Saturday night for the final round, I'm guessing that's what indicated that I either called in or was part of that group.
Boo Weekley
aggiedadofpanda said:

We were between 7 green and 8 tee right on the ropes of the walkway. Tiger walked by coming off of 7 green, and there was a moment we were fist pumping and yelling "you got this!" Tiger broke focus for just a half second, looked at us, nodded, and said "WE got this". He was very aware that the whole crowd was behind him. Just a neat moment.
That's freakin awesome
Tailgate88
AG
On Friday I told my wife "I feel sorry for anyone who had the Masters on their bucket list, and are doing it this year when the weather is going to suck on Sunday. Touch luck."

If only I had known how wrong I was! Just goes to show you- there's no time like the present!
treedh
AG
Hop Sing said:

No trip to the Masters is complete without a Waffle House meal.
Extra special day, especially when asked by server, "How yall's food is?".
The staff at Waffle House truly cares about your dining experience.
Post removed:
by user
Matsui
AG
Same as castlerock
Buck Compton
AG
CastleRock said:

Trip #: 0
Days attended: None
Number of Lottery attempts: 8+
Percentage of my heart filled with hatred: 100
Same.... I'm on lottery attempt #10, my wife had #8 before we got married and had the same address, #13 for my Father-in-law. None of us have ever been selected for as much as a Monday practice round. About to just bite the bullet and fork over a couple grand on the secondary market to make the trip before my father in law is too old to get around.
David_Puddy
AG
I saw Monday practice round tickets going for $5-600 on StubHub. It's worth it in my opinion, especially since you can take pictures of your trip to keep forever.
mosesrab90
AG
Mon-Wed - rained out of playing at Champions Retreat Mon & Tues, so we drank dozens of azaleas at the Berckmann's Place. Been many times to Masters weekend but first time to see the Wed Par 3 - that was an absolute blast.
Westicles
AG
1st trip for me. In my opinion, the trip will be hard for me to ever top as I doubt I have the chance to do Berckmans Place again, along with being able to play East Lake.

Saturday 18 at East Lake
Sunday 36 at The Reserve Club at Woodside in Aiken
Monday practice round
Tuesday Berckmans Place and practice round

The putting experience and food in Berckmans Place is legit. If you ever have a chance to get passes for there, do not pass up under any circumstances.
GIF Reactor
AG
Damn, East Lake and Berckman's Place? Sounds like an awesome trip!
ddub96
AG
What was your opinion of East Lake?

I played Saturday morning as well. I would definitely say it is more about the history than the current golf.
Westicles
AG
Overall I liked it and thought it was a treat to play/see the clubhouse. But definitely know what you mean about the history. The legit 1930 Bobby Jones grand slam trophies in the main lobby of the clubhouse were awesome.

The course condition was pretty disappointing. Rough was still dormant so it wasn't "TV worthy" by any means. The greens were long and slow. Caddy told us they were worried about them getting stressed out coming out of winter so they were leaving them longer (9 on stimp is what he told us). A few of the greens on the front looked like they had a disease (#2 comes to mind).

Course layout itself was okay. Thought the front 9 (former back 9) was pretty boring. But I really liked the back 9 a lot. Specifically 14-18. They got it right when they swapped the 9s for the tour championship. Had a ton of fun playing the back though. Helps I played 6 shots better on the back due to a bunch of 3-jacks on the front (coming from West Texas and fast bentgrass greens to a hilly course with really slow Bermuda greens was tough).

What are your thoughts?
GIF Reactor
AG
How did you get on there, if I may ask?
ddub96
AG
You are spot on with your assessment. The back 9 with the cool down hill over the water is the proper ending. Clubhouse inside and out is awesome. The bunkering was legit championship caliber level. From a prestige standpoint I was expecting more from the course overall but still an incredible experience. Biggest moment for me was walking up to the par 3 second where Bobby Jones made his first ever hole in one. I just stood in awe for a minute thinking about being there.
ddub96
AG
I got on through a guy I went to the Masters with Thursday and Friday. His company has a corporate membership.
Westicles
AG
One of the guys I went with had an Atlanta connection. I didn't asked too many questions, just brought a set of clubs and some enthusiasm.
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Westicles
AG
That's actually way less than I estimated. Heard average of $500/person. Assuming 40,000 patrons per day (no one knows the actual number I don't think), that's $20MM/day or $140MM for the week.
GIF Reactor
AG
It is so easy to rack up hundreds of dollars in there.
Westicles
AG
I spent 3x the average i mentioned. Granted I bought for other people and my kids. But, I think $500/person is way conservative.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Westicles said:

That's actually way less than I estimated. Heard average of $500/person. Assuming 40,000 patrons per day (no one knows the actual number I don't think), that's $20MM/day or $140MM for the week.

40,000/day is way high. Like 3-4x high.
watty
AG
Exactly. There might be 40k people on the grounds, but not all of them are going through the gift shop. 1/4 of them or so sounds about right.
oldschool87
AG
6 Shirts 85 bucks = 510
1 Master chair = 35
1 Tshirt = 38
5 hats, 26 = 131
3 golf towells, 54
2 pin flags = 52
3 ball makers 30
2 umbrellas 90
1 keychain 12
Tax 80

$$1032... Holy crap, first time I added it up....

I would say half was for me, other half was a list... And that's the key, very few people are just buying for themselves....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.