Will Tiger break Jack's record?

5,375 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bagger05
Bud Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tiger in April of 2001 was only 25, yet he held all 4 majors at once. (Did Jack ever even hold 3 at once?) Hehad already won the Masters by 12 strokes and the US Open by an unfreakinbelievable 15 strokes. All against stronger and deeper international fields than the Bear faced.
Tiger had 14 majors at 32 when he then flamed out to temptations.
Bear had only 11 majors at same age of 32.
I'm voting tiger for better golfer, jack for better person.
PJYoung
AG
Bud Fox said:

Tiger in April of 2001 was only 25, yet he held all 4 majors at once. (Did Jack ever even hold 3 at once?) Hehad already won the Masters by 12 strokes and the US Open by an unfreakinbelievable 15 strokes. All against stronger and deeper international fields than the Bear faced.

Yes, Jack held 3 at once.
agsalaska
AG
Bud Fox said:

I dont see how anyone could argue that there wad, is a better golfer than Nicklaus.

I dont see how anyone could argue that there has ever been a greater pro than Tiger.

They both stand alone.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Bud Fox
PJYoung said:

Bud Fox said:

Yes, Jack held 3 at once.
Cuando?
I'm not finding it.
bagger05
AG
Three in a row at once was

71 PGA
72 Masters
72 US Open

Runner up at the 72 Open

EDIT: TIL the 71 PGA was the first major of 71, not the last. So not three in a row.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
bagger05 said:

Three in a row was

71 PGA
72 Masters
72 US Open

Runner up at the 72 Open

71 PGA was played in Feb, 1971

Edit: Looks like they moved the 1972 PGA to august... So he did hold the 3 at a time.
birdman
Jack Nicklaus never held three titles at once.

He won the 1971 PGA. Then won the 1972 Masters and 1972 U.S. Open. That's probably what you are thinking of. But the 1971 PGA was the first tournament of the year, so they weren't consecutive.

How about the 1970s? Jack Nicklaus played in all 40 majors in that time span.

He won 8 of them.
He finished in the top 10 in 36 of 40 majors.
He finished in the top 5 in 27 of 40 majors.
He missed the cut just once.

And his 1960s decade wasn't far behind.
bagger05
AG
Ah, weird. So it wasn't three in a row, but after the 72 US Open he held the most recent PGA, Masters, and US Open titles.
bagger05
AG
birdman said:

Jack Nicklaus never held three titles at once.

He won the 1971 PGA. Then won the 1972 Masters and 1972 U.S. Open. That's probably what you are thinking of. But the 1971 PGA was the first tournament of the year, so they weren't consecutive.

How about the 1970s? Jack Nicklaus played in all 40 majors in that time span.

He won 8 of them.
He finished in the top 10 in 36 of 40 majors.
He finished in the top 5 in 27 of 40 majors.
He missed the cut just once.

And his 1960s decade wasn't far behind.
I think he did hold three all at once.

After the 1972 US Open the most recent PGA was the one played in February 1971 (72 PGA wasn't until August).

So unless I'm calendar stupid (which is possible) in June 1972 he had won the most recent PGA, Masters, and US Open.
birdman
I got turned around on semantics.

Nicklaus had three major titles at once. That is correct.

I was thinking about winning three majors in a row. He never did that.
bagger05
AG
Weird that 71 being in February was a one-off thing...

Quote:

The championship was played in February rather than August, due to anticipated oppressive summer weather in Florida. The rescheduling changed the PGA Championship from the fourth and final major of the calendar year to the first in 1971, and the 1970 and 1971 editions were consecutive majors. It returned to August in 1972 at Oakland Hills in Michigan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.