Will Tiger break Jack's record?

5,387 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bagger05
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back on the wagon "YES!"
Captain Pablo
AG
Hope so
3AgDad81
AG
Would love to see it!
bagger05
AG
He could win another this year.

Been a long time ago but he won at Bethpage in 2002 and played really well in 2009.

Good history at Pebble with the epic win in 2000 and good performance in 2010.

Portrush is a wild card but The Open is arguably his second best major behind The Masters.
Goat Man
AG
Don't think so. But I did not think he would ever win another major so what the heck do I know?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I am gonna say he gets to 17. It's easy to knee jerk after a win, but at the same time. he has looked really, really good in the last 3 majors. So many great young players tho, with both father time and the back big questions. Certainly not going to rule it out tho.

There was a time when I thought he'd make a run at 25. I thought he'd have 20 by age 40 and spend his 40's adding 5 more. You could have taken every cent I own if you bet me he wouldnt win one from 2008 to 2019. Then I thought he'd never get off 14 when in the middle of back hell with no solutions. So I'm going to go with "i have no idea" on this one
Wildcat
AG
The spirit is clearly willing, but is the body able? It's a captain obvious take, but it's not wrong.

Seeing how well Langer and Couples still get around the golf course makes me think pros can stretch it longer these days. Augusta favors the long hitters and he won. He was nasty off the tee with the three metal. I look for more of that going forward. Short game was really solid.

So I'll take the over.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
He'll tie Jack this year and get a true grand slam.
Wildcat
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Bro. Early golf doesn't advance the clock for the socially acceptable time for drinking.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Wildcat said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Bro. Early golf doesn't advance the clock for the socially acceptable time for drinking.

Not true
aggietony2010
AG
Wildcat said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Early sports of any type make drinking acceptable. 2010 world cup meant drunk by noon if you were doing it right.
tk for tu juan
DannyDuberstein
AG
Here's a wild thought. At the conclusion of the 2018 US Open, Tiger was not exempt for the 2019 US Open. Of course the USGA would have granted a special exemption had he not earned with his play since then, but that's what it would have taken at that point.
Yesterday
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Here's a wild thought. At the conclusion of the 2018 US Open, Tiger was not exempt for the 2019 US Open. Of course the USGA would have granted a special exemption had he not earned with his play since then, but that's what it would have taken at that point.

He barely qualified for this years WGC Mexico correct?
bagger05
AG
03ki11erAG said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He barely qualified for this years WGC Mexico correct?
No he was safely in the field by then. He barely squeezed into the Bridgestone last year, but last year when he was runner up at the PGA he moved from 51st to 26th. Stayed about there until he won the Tour Championship and then he jumped to 13th. Stayed around there until now. He'll be #6 in the world on Monday.
aginlakeway
AG
IMO, he'll end up with 15 or 16 majors.
bagger05
AG
Probably the conservative bet. Winning majors is hard, and right now he's playing against a crop of folks that will have hall of fame careers. Couldn't say that about him back in his prime. So it'll be even harder. Add into consideration that there's a chance his body doesn't hold up so maybe he won't win another one.

That said, his game looks really good right now. He's put himself into contention for three majors in a row. I think it's more likely that he'll end up with 15 than 18+, but he's been playing about as well as anyone in the world for the last ten months. Will be really fun to watch.

It's great for the sport... hope the golf media realizes this is a great opportunity to build up the next generation of stars and strengthen the future of the game.
CyclingAg82
AG
I think he has a chance to tie Jack, it is just incredible competition he is playing against.

But he can now and I did not think it was possible for him at the start of 2018.

If he doesn't make it to 18 then I hope he ties Jack for 6 Green Jackets.
_lefraud_
AG
Looking at the schedule:

Pga: Bethpage '19, Harding Park '20, Valhalla '24
US Open: Pebble' 19, Torrey Pines '21, Brookline '22, Pinehurst '24
The Open: St. Andrews '21, Hoylake '22

Those are all venues he's won majors (or major tournaments). Watching Phil play so well into his late 40s surely gives Tiger the confidence he could play well for another 5 years.

I think Tiger gets to 20, including at least one more green jacket.
aggietony2010
AG
Whether he makes it to 18 or not, we're in for a golden age of golf. So many young stars entering their prime, all with Tiger 2.0 now looming large.
AggieEyes
AG
IMO he can still improve his game.

I think he'll do it if he can stay healthy.
bagger05
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Looking at the schedule:

Pga: Bethpage '19, Harding Park '20, Valhalla '24
US Open: Pebble' 19, Torrey Pines '21, Brookline '22, Pinehurst '24
The Open: St. Andrews '21, Hoylake '22

Those are all venues he's won majors (or major tournaments). Watching Phil play so well into his late 40s surely gives Tiger the confidence he could play well for another 5 years.

I think Tiger gets to 20, including at least one more green jacket.

20 sure sounds bold. That would mean his career in his mid 40s and beyond would have as many majors as Byron Nelson, Phil, and Seve did in their entire careers.

I think the level of competition now is too tough. DJ is probably already a Hall of Famer and is only 34. Rory is already a Hall of Famer and he's only 30. Koepka has three majors and is only 28. Spieth has three majors and is only 25 and will probably come out of the funk he's in at some point. Rose is at the top of his game. Fowler, Rahm, DeChambeau, JT, and some others have the look of players that could develop into Hall of Famers and should be entering the prime of their careers.

Would have loved to see Tiger compete against these guys when he was in his late 20s and early 30s... but I think the level of play is MUCH higher than it was in Tiger's prime and his game is not what it was back then. Gut feeling is this isn't his last but I don't think he has five more in him.
bagger05
AG
AggieEyes said:

IMO he can still improve his game.

I think he'll do it if he can stay healthy.

I'm not sure it can. He said in his interview earlier this week that when he focuses on putting his putting is good. When he focuses on chipping his chipping is good. Focuses on driver and that's good. But his body just can't handle the hours to work on everything.

This level might be enough to get three more, though. He's been playing great golf for nine or ten months. Certainly championship level since he contended at the last three majors.

Will be so freaking fun to watch!
Forum Troll
AG
I don't think he'll perform as well at Bethpage next month. If its anything like the last US open there it was super narrow, long, and very deep rough. But the PGA setup I'm sure will be different than the clown shows the USGA often puts up.

Pebble in June better look out.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bagger05 said:

Would have loved to see Tiger compete against these guys when he was in his late 20s and early 30s... but I think the level of play is MUCH higher than it was in Tiger's prime and his game is not what it was back then.

And he still beat them all this week and at the Tour championship last year.
Forum Troll
AG
aginlakeway
AG
I've always thought Woods best chance at more majors was Masters. He's been close in the last year. He won today.

But this is also the 1st time I can remember Woods winning mainly because others fell apart. He shot 70 today. That doesn't take anything away from this win. It was amazing. But IMO Molinari and Koepka played better throughout the week, but Woods won. And that happens a lot in majors.

Again, not taking anything away from the win.

I'd put the betting line over/under at his final career majors at 16.5.

Mateo84
AG
aginlakeway said:

I've always thought Woods best chance at more majors was Masters. He's been close in the last year. He won today.

But this is also the 1st time I can remember Woods winning mainly because others fell apart. He shot 70 today. That doesn't take anything away from this win. It was amazing. But IMO Molinari and Koepka played better throughout the week, but Woods won. And that happens a lot in majors.

He mostly won this one because of experience. With Molinari and Koepka dropping balls in the water left and right, Tiger aimed for the center of the green and played smart golf. Part of that is his Augusta-specific knowledge and part of that is decades of major experience in general. He hasn't played nearly as many rounds on the other upcoming majors courses, so some of that advantage will be gone outside of Augusta.
_lefraud_
AG
Tiger has played ANGC 20 times as a pro, he has 14 top 10s (5 wins). He should be able to legitimately compete there for another 5 years.

Tiger will get to play St. Andrews competitively at least two (probably 3) more times. And as we've seen from several guys, he too might be able to compete at The Open into his 50s.

Courses like Pebble, and Torry Pines will allow him to compete at US Opens for the next few years, but he's gonna have to putt WAY better to compete at these as he gets older.

PGA Championships will be the most difficult for him IMO, as it has the deepest field, and is closer to a regular Tour event, where LOTS of guys can catch fire for the week.
aginlakeway
AG
Mateo84 said:

aginlakeway said:

He mostly won this one because of experience. With Molinari and Koepka dropping balls in the water left and right, Tiger aimed for the center of the green and played smart golf. Part of that is his Augusta-specific knowledge and part of that is decades of major experience in general. He hasn't played nearly as many rounds on the other upcoming majors courses, so some of that advantage will be gone outside of Augusta.

Good.point. I would not be surprised if he won a 6th Masters. We'll see!

I also think it was huge that Woods was in the final group. He wouldn't have been if it was pairings of 2 rather than threesomes.
bagger05
AG
Koepka certainly didn't fall apart. Made a costly mistake but followed that up with an eagle and gave himself a birdie chance on 14, 17, and 18 and he made an incredible shot on 15 and made a great putt for eagle that didn't go down. Plus he made a great par save on 16.
aginlakeway
AG
bagger05 said:

Koepka certainly didn't fall apart. Made a costly mistake but followed that up with an eagle and gave himself a birdie chance on 14, 17, and 18 and he made an incredible shot on 15 and made a great putt for eagle that didn't go down. Plus he made a great par save on 16.

I think Koepka will win a few Masters.
bagger05
AG
If the setup at Bethpage is like the 2009 US Open but with slightly more manageable fairways and rough then Koepka has to be the favorite.
booradley
AG
2 opinions that are in conflict.

1 - the competition is crazy good. Look at how many names were in contention. This point says 18 is a long shot. Tiger won today but it was very close.

2 - tiger won in-spite of terrible putting. He was lucky to win putting so poorly. I haven't seen the data but he had to be in the bottom 25% of the field. If he had putted well, he would have won by 10...

Net: if his putting improves he could do it. But he's got to get back to ramming the hole. Way too many putts die at the hole. Like tom Watson in his prime, the young tiger wasn't afraid of the come back putt. Old tiger putts much more conservatively. Tiger left a ton of putts short at the masters. True - the greens were very slow for a masters.

But I believe his iron play is better than ever.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

But he's got to get back to ramming the hole
Look out, Perkins' waitresses!

Jokes aside, great win today. Did just enough to keep the wolves at bay and stood by and watched them......well, if not disintegrate, they just couldn't do enough to keep pace. Solid, solid round
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.