Swing Weight Rabbit Hole

2,407 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by irish pete ag06
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've wandered down the rabbit hole and read up on all this stuff. I did a DIY swing weighting of my ancient but still being played Ping G2s. They all came in at the High Cs (C8-C9 to D0)

I have always had a really aggressive tempo, and I've always tried to calm it down. Could adding swing weight help my natural tempo work better. I've read that aggressive tempo swingers tend to favor higher swing weights (d3-6)?

Ignorance was bliss. I went to the range today thinking my clubs are too light and I feel like I really can't feel the club head very well.

Has anyone every attempted the DIY swing weight fitting by using contact tape, lead tape, and a 6 iron to figure out what swing weight helps you group them the best?
07fta07
AG
I haven't done the DIY method, but my last irons were in the D0 range after I put midsize grips on them and I struggled to hit them.

I play everything D4 or D5 now and it's noticeably better. I tried to hit my old irons the other day and couldn't. I couldn't feel the head at all.

If you're an aggressive swinger, I'd say you would probably benefit from SW at least D3.
jj9000
AG
The short answer is maybe it will help...maybe not.

Those PINGs should have been built at D0 from the factory...unless special ordered. Getting into the Cs is getting really light.

Swingweight is a preference thing. Some like to feel the head of the club in transition...some don't. Sometime it smooths out an aggressive transition...sometimes it will feel like a sledgehammer. Only way to find out what works best is to test.

I play my irons at D5...and my Driver at D4. If I were to swing your sticks at high Cs or D0... I'd spray the ball all over the yard.

Grab yourself some High Density Lead Tape...cut the tape in 2" increments (2" = 1 swingweight point).
Take your sticks to the practice range. Then grab your 7-iron and apply 1 piece of 2" tape to the back of the club. Continue to add tape until the club feels right to you. You'll know what feels best...and what is too heavy.

Once you figure out what works best...you can either put the same amount of lead tape on the rest of your clubs...or...put tungsten powder down the shafts and cork them. I would suggest pulling the shafts and installing brass tip weights...but...I don't think your irons have ferrules (re-installing them perfectly...with no iron prep showing...would be a b+tch).

Here's a link to the High Density Lead Tape. Not that flimsy crap they have at PGA SS:

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/golfworks-hd-lead-tape-sp11glfwrkhdldtp/sp11glfwrkhdldtp?camp=CSE:GGXY_92700041474175186_pla_pla-644706339281&gclid=CjwKCAjwkcblBRB_EiwAFmfyy1-S8W1QMF1vmSPC4mGyhG-6RwLRH8LOm0cTc0GzCdsXhpMs16tzEBoCyKcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps.
irish pete ag06
AG
07fta07 said:

I haven't done the DIY method, but my last irons were in the D0 range after I put midsize grips on them and I struggled to hit them.

I play everything D4 or D5 now and it's noticeably better. I tried to hit my old irons the other day and couldn't. I couldn't feel the head at all.

If you're an aggressive swinger, I'd say you would probably benefit from SW at least D3.

Yep. And I am in the process of adding midsize grips to them as well. I hate standard size grips.
irish pete ag06
AG
jj9000 said:

The short answer is maybe it will help...maybe not.

Those PINGs should have been built at D0 from the factory...unless special ordered. Getting into the Cs is getting really light.

Swingweight is a preference thing. Some like to feel the head of the club in transition...some don't. Sometime it smooths out an aggressive transition...sometimes it will feel like a sledgehammer. Only way to find out what works best is to test.

I play my irons at D5...and my Driver at D4. If I were to swing your sticks at high Cs or D0... I'd spray the ball all over the yard.

Grab yourself some High Density Lead Tape...cut the tape in 2" increments (2" = 1 swingweight point).
Take your sticks to the practice range. Then grab your 7-iron and apply 1 piece of 2" tape to the back of the club. Continue to add tape until the club feels right to you. You'll know what feels best...and what is too heavy.

Once you figure out what works best...you can either put the same amount of lead tape on the rest of your clubs...or...put tungsten powder down the shafts and cork them. I would suggest pulling the shafts and installing brass tip weights...but...I don't think your irons have hosels (re-installing them perfectly...with no iron prep showing...would be a b+tch).

Here's a link to the High Density Lead Tape. Not that flimsy crap they have at PGA SS:

https://m.golfgalaxy.com/p/golfworks-hd-lead-tape-sp11glfwrkhdldtp/sp11glfwrkhdldtp?camp=CSE:GGXY_92700041474175186_pla_pla-644706339281&gclid=CjwKCAjwkcblBRB_EiwAFmfyy1-S8W1QMF1vmSPC4mGyhG-6RwLRH8LOm0cTc0GzCdsXhpMs16tzEBoCyKcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps.

This helped tremendously. It confirms all I've read online. Can't wait to get to the range and give this a shot.
irish pete ag06
AG
Think this stuff looks good?

SummerHouse 1 Gram Per Inch Golf High Density Lead Tape Weight Self-Adhesion for Driver Fairway Hybrid Iron Clubs Head - 1/2''x 100'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQRAU0Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MlGSCbFPB0Q4F
jj9000
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

SummerHouse 1 Gram Per Inch Golf High Density Lead Tape Weight Self-Adhesion for Driver Fairway Hybrid Iron Clubs Head - 1/2''x 100'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQRAU0Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MlGSCbFPB0Q4F
That looks fine.

They sell "Golfworks" High Density Lead Tape at DSG as well...if you want to buy local.

Golfworks tape is really good b/c it stays on.

2" of HDLT = 1 swingweight point

Just make sure it's High Density Lead Tape. Normal lead tape is crap (it's like sticky tinfoil).

Also...your grips can alter swingweight. (5) additional grams to the butt-end of the club (think grip) = 1 less swingweight point...and vice versa. If you want to mess with extra light grips (Golf Pride has a 25 gm Tour Velvet grip)...that's another option.

Edit...I re-clicked that URL to Amazon just a second ago and got the following message: You purchased this item on August 19, 2018

Funny
irish pete ag06
AG
jj9000 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

That looks fine.

They sell "Golfworks" High Density Lead Tape at DSG as well...if you want to buy local.

Golfworks tape is really good b/c it stays on.

2" of HDLT = 1 swingweight point

Just make sure it's High Density Lead Tape. Normal lead tape is crap (it's like sticky tinfoil).

Also...your grips can alter swingweight. (5) additional grams to the butt-end of the club (think grip) = 1 less swingweight point...and vice versa. If you want to mess with extra light grips (Golf Pride has a 25 gm Tour Velvet grip)...that's another option.

Edit...I re-clicked that URL to Amazon just a second ago and got the following message: You purchased this item on August 19, 2018

Funny

I'm realizing the grips are an issue as well. I bought some Lamkin Crossline Midsize and they are between 5-10 grams heavier. Oh well. Just more lead tape.
irish pete ag06
AG
Off to range I go. Grabbed my 3, 6, and 9. Gonna stop and grab some lead tape and impact tape at Dicks.

Using a DIY google sheet to measure swing weight they were C7, D0, and D0.

Can't wait to see what happens.
irish pete ag06
AG
And postpone that. Dick's only had the crappy maxfli lead tape so I'll just wait til my good stuff comes in from amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.