Masters 2019

103,655 Views | 1709 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wildcat
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was rooting very hard for the Brooks birdie on 18. I was ready for a playoff with the GOAT vs the current king slayer and a t storm in the distance closely approaching.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Anyone see an explanation for Tiger's super short 2nd shot on 18? He left it really far back, but it seemed intentional given his angle, 2 shots to work with, and that is an easy chip and 2putt spot with a fat lane into the green even tho it was pretty far back. Trying to go for it risks a bunker or missing on the wrong side of a bunker that leaves a crazy lie and brings double into play. You double cross an intended cut or overcook a cut and an adventure begins.

But i was interested about confirmation of that logic.
aginlakeway
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Anyone see an explanation for Tiger's super short 2nd shot on 18? He left it really far back, but it seemed intentional given his angle, 2 shots to work with, and that is an easy chip and 2putt spot with a fat lane into the green even tho it was pretty far back. Trying to go for it risks a bunker or missing on the wrong side of a bunker that leaves a crazy lie and brings double into play. You double cross an intended cut or overcook a cut and an adventure begins.

He said there was mud on his ball so he wanted to make sure to miss left.
Yesterday
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He clipped a tree branch. I too wondered but someone reported that it clipped a branch.

Wrong emoji.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That would make sense given it was so far back. Leaving it short right would be smart, although that was really really short
Yesterday
AG
aginlakeway said:

DannyDuberstein said:

This is where I read tree limb but I'll take what Tiger said.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/04/14/tiger-woods-masters-update-fourth-round.html
DannyDuberstein
AG
If it was a tree limb, then holy crap, that was near disaster. Imagine if it ricocheted who the hell knows where
aginlakeway
AG
03ki11erAG said:

aginlakeway said:

DannyDuberstein said:

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/04/14/tiger-woods-masters-update-fourth-round.html

He said there was mud on his ball if press conference. He said he was playing for bogey.
Yesterday
AG
aginlakeway said:

03ki11erAG said:

aginlakeway said:

DannyDuberstein said:

He said there was mud on his ball if press conference. He said he was playing for bogey.

Like I said, he would probably know better than the reporter.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aginlakeway said:

03ki11erAG said:

aginlakeway said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I think ya'll are talking about 2 different shots.

his second shot from the fairway edge on 18 you can see him motion and look up after the shot - it clipped a tree limb barely but that made it short and right.

his third shot the chip there was mud on the ball so he played to the fat part of the green instead of straight at the pin so if it affected it either way it still ends up on the green.

EIDT

NOPE - I was wrong.

He said: "And I had a little bit of mud on my golf ball playing that shot, and I said just make sure I overcut this thing; don't undercut it. Overcut it to the right. And I did. I whoofed it and hit it over to the right and I was able to put that ball on the green and twoputt."

I still thought he hit that tree limb barely- watching him walk aftr he glanced up at it and made face.
aginlakeway
AG
Nm
Aggie1391
What a day. Such an incredible comeback, it's hard to put into words how I felt watching tiger on the back nine today. The ONLY thing I wish was that he made the par putt on 18. He had that walk going like he made it, and Augusta would have erupted.
Blanco Ag
AG
Way to go Tiger! A Masters for the Ages!
Baby Billy
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That would make sense given it was so far back. Leaving it short right would be smart, although that was really really short

My original thought was he didn't want it plugging in the face of the bunker short of the green, since he was gonna be slicing it in there, but I guess it clipped a tree
Baby Billy
AG
aginlakeway
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Wasn't that tweet about the Masters odds?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aginlakeway said:

Somewhat the bettors and the odds.

But he doubled down during the tournament several times - glowingly rooting for Molinari quite obviously and defending him and basically saying no way an old guy can keep this up:

for example early today :

aginlakeway
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aginlakeway said:

But he doubled down during the tournament several times - glowingly rooting for Molinari quite obviously and defending him and basically saying no way an old guy can keep this up:

I'm certain Shipnuck has praised Woods in his golf books. I think that actually he worked with Woods on one book.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah. i don't care anyway. i was just pointing out what others said.

but what some writer might say is not really relevant anyway.

he just seemed to be pretty sure of himself here.

he actually reacted with some elated tweets when tiger did win.

he was just trying to show he was smart and got it wrong this time. no big deal.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, that first one is clearly somewhat tongue in cheek (old guy with one win) while the 2nd makes it clear he's a fan. Those only look bad to a literalist who cant read into them.
johnnyblaze36
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

The real question is:

Would the starter at Traditions let him play in that collarless shirt
I apparently missed the inside joke here but would love to hear some elaboration if you don't mind....
aginlakeway
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

The real question is:

Strange thing is that he wouldn't be allowed to play AN without a collar ...
oldschool87
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Mud on ball, 40 mph wind, way up hill... Bang it somewhere in the general direction, SAFELY... ON green 2 putt, Profit!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
aginlakeway said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aginlakeway said:

I'm certain Shipnuck has praised Woods in his golf books. I think that actually he worked with Woods on one book.
No writer hates Tiger succeeding more than Shipnuck yet he's the first to jump on the bandwagon when something good happens. I can't stand the guy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
oldschool87 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Mud on ball, 40 mph wind, way up hill... Bang it somewhere in the general direction, SAFELY... ON green 2 putt, Profit!
Sorry if my question was too dumb for you. I wasn't surprised in the least at the play in general as I explained the strategy in my post, but the considerable amount of distance it was left short vs what I would have usually expected with that strategy at least raised a question, which is why I was looking to see if he'd confirmed what happened.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aginlakeway said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

The real question is:

I don't know why you guys think mock turtlenecks don't have a collar.

The collar is what distinguishes mock turtlenecks from a t-shirt.

Unless they specifically ban mock turtlenecks too - but a mock or full turtleneck has a collar. It is considered a more dressy shirt than a t-shirt. It is widely accepted in business casual attire too.

Augusta dress code says collared but does not exclude mock turtlenecks specifically.

I've worn them to nice courses requiring a collar and to nice restaurants that don't require a tie. Never had a problem.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

oldschool87 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Sorry if my question was too dumb for you. I wasn't surprised in the least at the play in general as I explained the strategy in my post, but the considerable amount of distance it was left short vs what I would have usually expected with that strategy at least raised a question, which is why I was looking to see if he'd confirmed what happened.

That's why I still think it hit a tree limb just barely - I saw Tiger gesture up to the tree after the shot. But I have not seen anyone mention that.

I think he both played safe to bail out right and clipped the tree so it was much shorter than planned.
The Milkman
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aginlakeway said:

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

The real question is:

I don't know why you guys think mock turtlenecks don't have a collar.

The collar is what distinguishes mock turtlenecks from a t-shirt.

Unless they specifically ban mock turtlenecks too - but a mock or full turtleneck has a collar. It is considered a more dressy shirt than a t-shirt. It is widely accepted in business casual attire too.

Augusta dress code says collared but does not exclude mock turtlenecks specifically.

I've worn them to nice courses requiring a collar and to nice restaurants that don't require a tie. Never had a problem.

I can't imagine anyone wearing a mock turtle neck at my office, which has a business casual dress code. It is another form of a tee shirt. It is not another form of a professional, business casual, or polo shirt
oldschool87
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

oldschool87 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Me too...

Sometimes, they are human, my point was the wind was howling, and 18 is up hill the entire way. Most times you can't see the flag. Mud or no mud, to your point, not going to risk pulling a Phil...
Wildcat
AG
Bump.

Anyone else watching the rewind?
Aegrescit medendo
Wildcat
AG
On page 27 if you want to get the TexAgs color commentary from last year.
Aegrescit medendo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.