Traditions Golf Club

14,620 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NColoradoAG
Trinity Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
jja79 said:

When it's bone dry 6 and 9 are cart path. Why is that?
I assume they just don't drain well enough from regular watering -- much less with rain.

But in three years I've been there, they have always been marked as cart path only.
Trinity Ag
S
BTW -- played 18 this morning, and the course is light years ahead of where it was just ten days ago.

Greens have been rolled, and are putting true.

Traps are as good as they've been since I've joined.

They've had to lay a lot of sod to replace stuff that died from the rain, and the new sod is still dormant.

But overall, the course looks great considering the winter we had.

Bring bug spray, though. They are out in force early.
HouAggie
AG
It's amazing how far the courses in this area have come in the past 10-14 days.
GDP
03ki11erAG said:

98Ag99Grad said:

If price wasn't an issue, would more people join Miramont over Traditions? Never played Miramont but have played Traditions once for a scramble and wasn't exactly blown away. Nice facilities though.
Yes to your first question but that's pretty much a given for any nice exclusive club. If you a pro had to choose between the two it would be Traditions as it's a true championship course.
What is your definition of a "true championship course" ?

Miramont has hosted the most prestigious (non professional) tournament in Texas and back to back national PGA Jr. events

2009 Texas State Amateur Championship
2014 Junior PGA Championship
2015 Junior PGA Championship

Traditions has also hosted some great college tournaments and NCAA regionals etc.

What makes one a "true championship course" in your opinion ?
I have played both and they are challenging in different ways. Traditions has a meandering creek and some great shot values that make it tough.
Miramont has menacing rough that narrows seemingly wide fairways (fewer trees) and fast greens and superb green complexes.
Yesterday
AG
GDP said:

03ki11erAG said:

98Ag99Grad said:

If price wasn't an issue, would more people join Miramont over Traditions? Never played Miramont but have played Traditions once for a scramble and wasn't exactly blown away. Nice facilities though.
Yes to your first question but that's pretty much a given for any nice exclusive club. If you a pro had to choose between the two it would be Traditions as it's a true championship course.
What is your definition of a "true championship course" ?

Miramont has hosted the most prestigious (non professional) tournament in Texas and back to back national PGA Jr. events

2009 Texas State Amateur Championship
2014 Junior PGA Championship
2015 Junior PGA Championship

Traditions has also hosted some great college tournaments and NCAA regionals etc.

What makes one a "true championship course" in your opinion ?
I have played both and they are challenging in different ways. Traditions has a meandering creek and some great shot values that make it tough.
Miramont has menacing rough that narrows seemingly wide fairways (fewer trees) and fast greens and superb green complexes.

I was trying to distinguish the differences in the two. Don't take that as Miramont is not. When I think of Championship courses I think of long, risk/reward, penalizing courses. I'm sure Miramont can be made to play tough by growing the rough but for your average week it's a resort course.

If you played Miramont from the tips, grow the rough and slick the greens then I'm sure it will be everything anyone can handle.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
To me, self-admitted dumass, Traditions is more like La Canteras toughest course compared to The Dominion (Miramont) across I-10

GDP
There are 3 generally accepted schools of golf design. Penal Strategic and Heroic (some say heroic is an offshoot of strategic)
Amen corner at Augusta has all 3 types.
Penal 12th at Augusta - no real options - pretty much hit the green or suffer the consequences. Also 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

Strategic 11th at Augusta. The drive down the right side of the fairway has a much easier shot into the green than a drive down the left side. Think billiards. Players have choices. If they execute the harder shot, subsequent shots become easier, etc. If they choose a safe shot early, subsequent shots are harder with tougher angles generally.

Heroic 13th at Augusta Clear advantage to making a significant carry off the tee. Also maybe think 18th at TPC Sawgrass. A long right to left drive that also carries the water at TPC Sawgrass gives the golfer a much easier and shorter 2nd shot.

The best golf courses borrow from all 3 but rely most on strategic styling with the occasional penal and heroic holes thrown in the mix.

I would agree with you that Traditions is a good tournament course for the accomplished player. My knock on Traditions is that it has far too many penal hazards that discourage the beginning player. (and the drainage is subpar)

Miramont has a great mix of holes that take advantage of all 3 schools of golf design. Miramont challenges the best players in the game from the back tees AND it is much friendlier and fun to play for the mid to high handicapper from the forward tees. That is the mark of a great course IMO.
Yesterday
AG
GDP said:

There are 3 generally accepted schools of golf design. Penal Strategic and Heroic (some say heroic is an offshoot of strategic)
Amen corner at Augusta has all 3 types.
Penal 12th at Augusta - no real options - pretty much hit the green or suffer the consequences. Also 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

Strategic 11th at Augusta. The drive down the right side of the fairway has a much easier shot into the green than a drive down the left side. Think billiards. Players have choices. If they execute the harder shot, subsequent shots become easier, etc. If they choose a safe shot early, subsequent shots are harder with tougher angles generally.

Heroic 13th at Augusta Clear advantage to making a significant carry off the tee. Also maybe think 18th at TPC Sawgrass. A long right to left drive that also carries the water at TPC Sawgrass gives the golfer a much easier and shorter 2nd shot.

The best golf courses borrow from all 3 but rely most on strategic styling with the occasional penal and heroic holes thrown in the mix.

I would agree with you that Traditions is a good tournament course for the accomplished player. My knock on Traditions is that it has far too many penal hazards that discourage the beginning player. (and the drainage is subpar)

Miramont has a great mix of holes that take advantage of all 3 schools of golf design. Miramont challenges the best players in the game from the back tees AND it is much friendlier and fun to play for the mid to high handicapper from the forward tees. That is the mark of a great course IMO.

I just tried to answer a question. It's clear you're more in depth to golf course design. My home club is a lot like Traditions. Maybe that's why I favor it. Lots of water, forced carries, long, elevated greens etc. There are 14 holes with water and OB. It's had US Open qualifiers, US Am qualifiers, Mid Am qualifiers, Byron Nelson qualifiers etc. I wish it were as nice as Miramont.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
To each his own

Ive been member to 5 different clubs in my time. The curse of being a migrant worker

My attraction to Traditions was as a neighborhood to live in and the challenge that I may never achieve:

To birdie every hole at some point in time

In 2 years I've parred every hole except 6 holes. Only birdied 6, so I have plenty to look forward to

WhoopN06
Nm
Flash02
Played Tuesday. Best shape in 5 years. Awesome job Jesse and staff
texpert68
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

the challenge that I may never achieve:

To birdie every hole at some point in time

This is an awesome goal. I probably played pebble creek 1000 times growing up, now I'm going to have to spend some time reflecting on if I ever pulled this off. If not, gonna have to make a return trip!
AggieDub25
I'm getting to play traditions for the first time today. Anyone know the condition it's in after the weekend rain?
07fta07
AG
AggieDub25 said:

I'm getting to play traditions for the first time today. Anyone know the condition it's in after the weekend rain?

I'm headed out there Sunday. Would like to hear your feedback after today.
AggieDub25
I just got done playing. Played a scramble with a few buddies. Course is in pretty good shape. It's a little wet in a few areas, but all in all it played well.
birdman
I set goal of getting a birdie on every hole on Pebble Creek. My time span was one year. I did it in 2017 and 2018. Hole #5 was final hole to birdie in both years.

I've birdied 12 holes this year. Already have #5 crossed off.
NColoradoAG
birdman said:

I set goal of getting a birdie on every hole on Pebble Creek. My time span was one year. I did it in 2017 and 2018. Hole #5 was final hole to birdie in both years.

I've birdied 12 holes this year. Already have #5 crossed off.
Username checks out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.