Traditions Golf Club

14,612 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NColoradoAG
jws456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally able to get out there for the first time next week. I'm a 12 handicap, besides "bring plenty of balls" do y'all have any other words of wisdom? TIA
Leander - Ag
AG
It's always wet
Oyster DuPree
AG
Stay hydrated
Mr.Bond
AG
Leander - Ag said:

It's always wet

That's what she said
19AG84
AG
The course is really wet. I think we have been off the cart paths 1 day since late October.
Roger Goodell
Wet Course. Wet Balls. Wet Shafts.

Hate playing in the mud.
Yesterday
AG
Play the correct tees for pace of play and enjoyment and yes it will be wet. Played it twice last summer and both times we were cart path only. Other than that it's a great and challenging course.
hot dog
AG
Get the chicken sandwich
DoubleE65
AG
With the weather the last 6 months it's going to be a loooong time before Trad is back in top condition.
FirefightAg
AG
Avoid the creek in front of most holes and hit it straight
jja79
AG
Anyway you can postpone this until it might dry up some?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
jja79 said:

Anyway you can postpone this until it might dry up some?

This is not a rhetorical question unfortunately. I live on the course and have only played probably 5 rounds since September. Its wet. Soft. Talking plugged balls in the fairway off the tee box soft.
agsfan
It's always wet, they water the hell out of it. Add the recent weather, and it's even more wet. However many balls you thought you needed extra, bring a few more for losing them in the fairway.
jja79
AG
I've never seen a place get and stay wet as easily.
DoubleE65
AG
Come to Pebble Creek.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I've never noticed it as much as I have since Labor Day.

Certainly not losing balls in the fairway.

However, I've been told by those MUCH more knowledgeable than I that they need to start a 4-5 yr program of "sanding" the fairways because the sod is set right on the top of black clay.

Leander - Ag
AG
agsfan said:

It's always wet, they water the hell out of it. Add the recent weather, and it's even more wet. However many balls you thought you needed extra, bring a few more for losing them in the fairway.
Feels like its in a low lying / drainage area. They will likely need to put in infrastructure to fix it.

It has always been overly wet.
Trinity Ag
S
jws456 said:

Finally able to get out there for the first time next week. I'm a 12 handicap, besides "bring plenty of balls" do y'all have any other words of wisdom? TIA
Since the wetness has been well discussed (and it is all true), here are a couple of tips:

Bad tee shots are penalized heavily, and mis-hit approaches are generally in the hazard. There is a huge premium on hitting the fairway -- if you don't the approach is always difficult, and a miss is a penalty more often than not. Don't be afraid to lay up.

Unless you are ~290 off the tee (from the blacks) you have zero chance of making any of the par 5s in 2, especially since the course is so wet you can expect zero roll on your tee shot. So keep it in play, and don't hit driver unless you are really consistent with it.

If you are a short hitter (~230), 9 and 18 are layup holes. Take your medicine and play for bogie.

I find the greens intentionally misleading. Most courses break towards the creek -- Traditions doesn't necessarily. If you don't read the putt from 360 degrees, it will fool you.

Greens have a few stray weeds on them, but they are rolling great. They are doing the best they can giving the bizarre weather.

jja79
AG
Still cart path I guess?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
jja79 said:

Still cart path I guess?

And after we get another deluge Wednesday, probably will be for the rest of March

I did notice today that Turkey Creek isnt "running" so thats the first time I've noticed that since ~ October?
Baby Billy
AG
I know a lot of current and recently former Aggie golfers and they all say traditions is in the worst shape they've ever seen it right now.

To the point where the team won't even qualify out there anymore
Flash02
Nicklaus put in very poor drainage for black cotton land. They've had 64 inches of rain since October 1. The staff told me. Seems it always rained just there. Friend couldn't push his walking cart last week. They know the problem and it will get fixed but Nicklaus has to approve all changes.
Pignorant
AG
Do they go to Miramont or campus course?
jja79
AG
It's becoming hard to justify paying out of town member dues after the last several months for sure.
GIF Reactor
AG
Why is it in such poor shape?
Leander - Ag
AG
jja79 said:

It's becoming hard to justify paying out of town member dues after the last several months for sure.
i'm considering dropping
Yesterday
AG
How much is an out of town membership?
agsfan
Flash02 said:

Nicklaus put in very poor drainage for black cotton land. They've had 64 inches of rain since October 1. The staff told me. Seems it always rained just there. Friend couldn't push his walking cart last week. They know the problem and it will get fixed but Nicklaus has to approve all changes.

The problem is free water and super that loves it.
Flash02
Exactly then came the rains. I don't know one member who has not asked to cut the water back.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Im an out of town member. I probably only get 20 rounds/year. Past 6 months not even 2 or 3 probably.

Im not going to consider dropping because I live there part of the year. Plus I like the staff and the practice facility.

That being said, what I've been told by peeps that SHOULD know what's up:

Nicklaus group laid sod right on top of this black clay. No sand barrier.

We DO get more than our share of rain as well. Look around. Even ground that's 15-18 feet higher than Turkey Creek has a fair population of water oaks.
Yesterday
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Im an out of town member. I probably only get 20 rounds/year. Past 6 months not even 2 or 3 probably.

Im not going to consider dropping because I live there part of the year. Plus I like the staff and the practice facility.

That being said, what I've been told by peeps that SHOULD know what's up:

Nicklaus group laid sod right on top of this black clay. No sand barrier.

We DO get more than our share of rain as well. Look around. Even ground that's 15-18 feet higher than Turkey Creek has a fair population of water oaks.

What does an out of town membership cost? Many thanks!
jja79
AG
If you can play 2 or 3 times per month it's worth it to me but that hasn't been possible for some time. And by play I mean drive up to your ball and play. The last time we tried to play maybe 3 months ago it was hard to find some tee shots down the middle because they sunk.

The people there are great and that's the biggest draw.

How you rate the facilities depends on what else you have access to.
billionaire
They qualify at Traditions Club. Yes, before they went to Hawaii, before they went to Cabo and before they went to Myrtle Beach all in the last 4 weeks.
Just one of the many ridiculous claims on this thread.
Yes, it's wet...duhhhh! Bryan has received 6 months of rain in the last 3 months. That was reported on KBTX last night so it has to be true. And for those of you wanting to play tomorrow...it's 100 % chance of rain! Of course! Because the Super loves WATER!
CLOWNS, CLOWNS,CLOWNS!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Check your PM
Fish-N-Chips
AG
Hey bud,

The politics board is that way.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.