Wolf - How Do You Play?

2,708 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1391
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordinarily, I consider most TA polls to be obvious star-hoaring but I have a question I'm legitimately seeking clarity on.

I'm trying to find the "official" rules of Wolf but I'm seeing conflicting info from what would otherwise seem like legit sources (Golfweek vs. Golf Digest, for instance).

Does the Wolf tee off first or last? Feel free to include any other rules you play by.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
First
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Last
terradactylexpress
Last
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]
Yesterday
AG
Wolf tees off first and then picks his partner after he hits his shot and before the next player his theirs. He can go wolf after seeing all shots. He can go blind after hitting his but before anyone else hits. He can go double blind before he ever hits.

How can wolf go blind if he tees off last?
TXAGGIES
First until 17-18 you go in reverse order of ticks, wolf can see all shots then select their partner.
KC_Ag14
AG
Never seen it where the Wolf wasn't first. Our local rule is going into the 16th, whoever is down the most $ is now the Wolf. That continues for 17 & 18, if low man changes... they're the Wolf. Just gives them a chance to close the $ gap.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
First player in the rotation is "Wolf".

The same rotation is kept for all 18 holes.

'Blind Wolf' can be called prior to the Wolf hitting his shot.

The Wolf can pick a partner after seeing that player's shot, but once the next person hits, the preceding player cannot be chosen.

After all players have hit, if the Wolf doesn't like any of their shots, he can go 'Lone Wolf'
investorAg83
AG
TXAGGIES said:

First until 17-18 you go in reverse order of ticks, wolf can see all shots then select their partner.

Wolf is still going first...they just get to be wolf because they're in last place going into the last 2 holes.
hoya-ag
AG
That is how we play as well with one caveat. When we are playing with 5, the wolf can pick his partner from the fairway on par 4s and 5s.
REMARCH11
AG
The "Wolf" always tees off 1st.
That way he will have the option of calling blind or lone wolf.
Blind Wolf: before he tees off
Lone Wolf: after he tees off and no one else had teed off.
The he has tot select after each player hits, can not wait til the end to pick, if he does he is stuck with last player, or in some cases will.be allowed to be lone wolf ( this will depend upon your group).
God,....I really hate the sips!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
OK, so the Wolf can go blind Wolf before OR after he tees off and can go lone Wolf at any point thereafter. In those instances, points are worth 3X, 2X, and 1X, respectively?
'03ag
My god this sounds worse than a drinking game.
agsalaska
AG
And remember, birdies double the bet. Birdies are always double.

Also, we play dots. Winners get a dot and each dot is worth a specific dollar amount. So let's say its $5 a dot. Each winner pays each loser $5. So if you are in a 5 man game and the two man team beats the three man team the winners get $15 each and the losers lose $10 each. Unless of course it's a birdie which doubles the bet.

Wolf is a fun game with 5. Dont vare for it with 4.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Old School Brother
We've always played something similar to what has been described above. Wolf is always up first. Wolf order determined by flipping a tee before start of round. Wolf on last two holes, assuming you're playing with 4, is determined by who is down the most.

Lone Wolf -- Calling wolf before you even hit your own tee shot -- pays 3 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 9 units)
Blind Wolf -- Calling wolf after you hit your tee shot and before anyone else hits -- pays 2.5 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 7.5 units)
Wolf -- Calling wolf after all tee shots have been hit -- pays 2 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 6 units)

Hitting order is determined by wolf order. Partner must be chosen after each person has hit. Once next person hits, previous person is no longer available as a partner. Holes played with partners pay even money.

I may be remembering the odds for different wolf calls wrong, but haven't played in a while.
Texmid
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

First player in the rotation is "Wolf".

The same rotation is kept for all 18 holes.

'Blind Wolf' can be called prior to the Wolf hitting his shot.

The Wolf can pick a partner after seeing that player's shot, but once the next person hits, the preceding player cannot be chosen.

After all players have hit, if the Wolf doesn't like any of their shots, he can go 'Lone Wolf'
We do almost exactly this except the last part. If the wolf doesn't pick anyone he is stuck with the last guy to tee off. He must declare lone wolf after his shot and before anyone else tees off.

Another twist we have added is what we call the NASCAR finish. Each player who is the wolf must go lone wolf on the last hole that they are the wolf. If it is a foursome then whoever is the wolf on 15 has to go lone wolf. Then the next guy has to wolf 16, etc, etc. It really makes those last holes more fun.

We also play a skins game while playing wolf. We play for quarters but you can up the bet to whatever you want. Let's say on hole 1 the scores are as follows:

Player A: 4
Player B: 4
Player C: 5
Player D: 6

A and B would each win a skin from C and D. D loses three total. So after the first hole A is up two, B is up two, C is down one, and D is down three.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Similar to above, we only have Blind (call before wolf tees off) and Lone (call after wolf tees off). If you call neither and also pass on players 2 and 3, then 4 is going to be your partner.
1208HawkTree
AG
Wolf Hammer in fivesomes with a 2:3 bet ratio, birdies double. "Super wolf" starting on 16, bottom man is the Super Wolf and sets the stakes. Big winner tips the cart guys.
WestTexAG
AG
Old School Brother said:

Blind Wolf -- Calling wolf before you even hit your own tee shot -- pays 3 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 9 units)
Lone Wolf -- Calling wolf after you hit your tee shot and before anyone else hits -- pays 2.5 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 7.5 units)
Wolf -- Calling wolf after all tee shots have been hit -- pays 2 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 6 units)

Hitting order is determined by wolf order. Partner must be chosen after each person has hit. Once next person hits, previous person is no longer available as a partner. Holes played with partners pay even money.

I may be remembering the odds for different wolf calls wrong, but haven't played in a while.
This is how we play, but also allow divorce, which lets the chosen partner drop the wolf, but it doubles the bet.
Hanrahan
AG
WestTexAG said:

Old School Brother said:

Blind Wolf -- Calling wolf before you even hit your own tee shot -- pays 3 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 9 units)
Lone Wolf -- Calling wolf after you hit your tee shot and before anyone else hits -- pays 2.5 to 1 (risking 3 units to win 7.5 units)

This is how we play, but also allow divorce, which lets the chosen partner drop the wolf, but it doubles the bet.
This is also what we do, but we call your divorce "pigging."
Quinn
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Last
How does it work if he goes last?
birdman
I play it like Old School Brother.

Last three holes the Wolf is guy down the most money.

We sometimes play with pigging. But when you pig, you automatically become lone wolf. You can't drop Player A and pick up somebody else. And Player A is now competing against you. It's 4 vs 1.

We also play with hammers.
agsalaska
AG
We sometimes play with hammers too.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Quinn said:

terradactylexpress said:

Last
How does it work if he goes last?
I won't speak for anyone but, from what I've read, the Wolf can go "blind wolf" by declaring before anyone tees off. He can choose any partner after that person has teed off but not before next person hits. After all others have teed off, he can elect to go lone Wolf.

So, very similar except the Wolf has the benefit of seeing others tee shots before hitting his own.
MarkPro
We play 5 man wolf, but instead of rotating through an order, we flip coins on the tee box. Heads against tails. If someone wants to wolf the hole, they can declare before the flip. If it's 4 heads and 1 tail,(or vice versa) well you're on your own. Same monetary bet as usual, birdies double the pay off. This way players can tee off whenever, no need for an order.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
MarkPro said:

We play 5 man wolf, but instead of rotating through an order, we flip coins on the tee box. Heads against tails. If someone wants to wolf the hole, they can declare before the flip. If it's 4 heads and 1 tail,(or vice versa) well you're on your own. Same monetary bet as usual, birdies double the pay off. This way players can tee off whenever, no need for an order.

I'll blame you next time my wife complains about my 6 hour round.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
agsalaska said:

And remember, birdies double the bet. Birdies are always double.

That's how we play even though one dork always "forgets".
Aggie1391
That's always how I've played it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.