Screw You Ben Hogan

3,746 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TUhatr
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You f up many golfers.

You thought you swung below the plane on the downswing and taught it. Well you didn't. And I considered your Five Lessons as the golf Bible. Well it ain't. When I find my copy, I will burn it.

You taught this.

But you did this.

Thanks a lot for countless hookenf###ers and OB to the left. Now I have to hit thousands of balls to fix this.
oneeyedag
Frustrated post clearly!

1. Be nice to get a down the line and swing.

2. From the picture a couple of things that stand out!

A. Posture
B. Really hard to tell from the pic, but Hogan had a flared 45 degree or so left foot so his hips could clear much faster.
C. From the pic, again a bad angle, your hips appear closed.

A,B & C will lead to hitting the GermanBall, or some pushes to the right if your just a little out of sync.
The Milkman
AG
You could start by fixing the fact that you're wearing jeans
ElCheAg
AG
The Milkman said:

Yep.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ok, jeans fixed.

JCA1
AG
Good topic. I've had a few things I've wanted to get off my chest about Walter Hagen for years. And don't even get me started on Old Tom Morris and his punk@ss son!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bunch of Seriously77s on this thread.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Milkman said:

What's wrong with denim at the practice range??
KatyAg01
AG
And what about Arnold Palmer telling everyone to "swing your swing." Well, my swing kinda sucks. I want to swing Adam Scott's swing, Arnie.
oneeyedag
Gonna fix you right up!

1. Your club face is very closed at the top of your backswing (face pointed at the sky).

2. Club face could be more parallel with your leading (left arm).

You fix that one thing, and I guarantee you hit the ball better with not so much right to left.

Next question, and this will tell me a lot. Do your short irons (wedges) spin a bit right to left on the greens?

PA24
AG
I think OP has lost his way with this silly game called golf.

STX Ag
AG
Weird thread.
Old Tom Morris
JCA1 said:

Good topic. I've had a few things I've wanted to get off my chest about Walter Hagen for years. And don't even get me started on Old Tom Morris and his punk@ss son!

Come at me, bro
shaynew1
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

JCA1 said:

Come at me, bro

swear on your mf yeezys
REMARCH11
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Haha, just wait.......he'll show up and the thread will be complete.
God,....I really hate the sips!
JCA1
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

JCA1 said:

Come at me, bro

Glad you finally had the guts to show your face.

Thanks to your "recommendation," I've been playing gutty golf balls. You know how hard it is to find a dozen of those these days? Had to buy my last dozen at a Sotheby's auction in Ireland. And come to find out, those things freakin' suck. Thanks a lot.
AggieDruggist89
AG
oneeyedag said:

Gonna fix you right up!

1. Your club face is very closed at the top of your backswing (face pointed at the sky).

2. Club face could be more parallel with your leading (left arm).

You fix that one thing, and I guarantee you hit the ball better with not so much right to left.

Next question, and this will tell me a lot. Do your short irons (wedges) spin a bit right to left on the greens?

I don't see shut face at the top as a major issue. It's caused by flexion or bowing of my left wrist and it results in shaft lean and a slight draw.

My real issue in the swing is the run on (arms keep going when shoulder stops) that causes the crossing of the target parallel line which creates a below the plane downswing and a severe in to out clubhead path. Hence the German ball.
AggieDruggist89
AG
REMARCH11 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Haha, just wait.......he'll show up and the thread will be complete.

Actually he already did.
Seriously77

Cursing Ben Hogan is akin to blasphemy, best be careful or you may find yourself only getting worst.

88Warrior
High watered Levi's..Really dude?!?
jonj101
I'm no swing guru, but to me of the two pics, the first one appears to be later in the swing than the youtube screenshot. Body appears to be rotated more, etc.

Or am I seeing it wrong?
Ragoo
AG
I don't see the major difference in Hogan's swings above, and I see a very big difference in the hands of the OP. They are out in front which forces you a bit over the top.

Your first move needs to be down and not around.

Your hands need to roll on takeaway just a bit too. They are stuck closed and stay closed at the top.
Forum Troll
AG
What kind of hooks are we talking about here? Start left and go more left, start straight and go left, or start right and go left?

You should try and get on Trackman and see what your face and path numbers are.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jonj101 said:

I'm no swing guru, but to me of the two pics, the first one appears to be later in the swing than the youtube screenshot. Body appears to be rotated more, etc.

Or am I seeing it wrong?

No. Drawing and my pics show way below swing plane. Later in the swing somewhat but Hogan never goes that low in downswing.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Forum Troll said:

What kind of hooks are we talking about here? Start left and go more left, start straight and go left, or start right and go left?

You should try and get on Trackman and see what your face and path numbers are.

I have a SkyTrack. On bad swings, I'm into out 6 degrees with right to left spin above 600 rpm. Mostly I'm fairly neutral.

Really non issue with driver now. But with other drivers, I may hit a few into out fat shots.

My shots are into out with draw left. Start right and draw left.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Seriously77 said:

Cursing Ben Hogan is akin to blasphemy, best be careful or you may find yourself only getting worst.

I can still kick your ass.
ChoppinDs40
AG
your swing path is way too much inside to out. Focus more on your exit path. When you follow-through your exit path should have the club below your left shoulder and left of it. Yours is too far right. Focus on swinging left and it will flatten the path.

I've struggled with this for a long time. Gotta get those shoulders and hips cleared and get left.
Forum Troll
AG
Your shut face will make the ball curve even more left if your path becomes closer to neutral.
PA24
AG

powerbelly
AG
You guys think way too much about your swing. Just hit the damn ball.
REMARCH11
AG
Ahhh crap!! Sorry I missed it!! Didn't see the earlier post!! Are you still going to play with me at the spring game thingy khaos99 is putting together! I figured you me Bond and AgDoc should make for a pretty fun 4 some!!
God,....I really hate the sips!
TUhatr
AG
If you are gonna have a shut face like that you need to clear like hell and have almost zero face rotation.

Watch DJ instead of hogan in your case since you like that shut bow at the top. DJ does NOT fit into Hogans model whatsoever other than his hip rotation.

Just a thought find a new model...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.