Question about Player sponsorships on tour.

1,825 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Roger Goodell
Roger Goodell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Specifically Golf Attire on the course, I like the one brand look aka Tiger, Spieth, and Tony. At somepoint, having 3+ brands on you begins to look tacky. Yes, I understand that some people need the money more than others, so they may need multiple sponsors.

But why does Phil play in Workday/KPMG/Callaway? Sure he could go 100% Callaway.

Is KPMG really paying that much?

Thoughts?
TresPuertas
AG
It's about money. Lots and lots of money.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://giphy.com/gifs/show-money-maguire-9HQRIttS5C4Za
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mateo84
AG
I wouldn't care what the heck I was wearing out there. Whoever paid me the most money would get to pick my clothes
aginlakeway
AG
Roger Goodell said:

Specifically Golf Attire on the course, I like the one brand look aka Tiger, Spieth, and Tony. At somepoint, having 3+ brands on you begins to look tacky. Yes, I understand that some people need the money more than others, so they may need multiple sponsors.

But why does Phil play in Workday/KPMG/Callaway? Sure he could go 100% Callaway.

Is KPMG really paying that much?

Thoughts?

Per Forbes ... he pulled in $50 million in 2016 in endorsements from sponsors like Callaway, Amgen, Barclays, ExonMobil, KPMG and Rolex.

I understand his KPMG deal is for 8 digits AND profit sharing.
LHIOB
AG
I used to sell sponsorships and called on a bunch of companies that are big in golf.

Ernie Els was sponsored by Boeing for a while. The stories of his plane are some of the best in sports. Part of what Boeing got out of the deal was time with Ernie. They could fly him out to play golf with customers or prospects a few times a year. From what they told me it was the perfect partnership.
Front Range Ag
AG
Ernie was wearing the Boeing logo on his shirt this weekend, as a matter of fact.
KatyAg01
AG
Ryan Moore evidently has an apparel deal with a company that sells hoodies. Fleece hoodies. Wouldn't have known that if he hadn't been wearing one during the tournament today. I guess the tour has really gotten lax on dress code. I don't have anything against it, just looked weird having a tour pro wearing attire like that during tournament play.
Roger Goodell
KatyAg01 said:

Ryan Moore evidently has an apparel deal with a company that sells hoodies. Fleece hoodies. Wouldn't have known that if he hadn't been wearing one during the tournament today. I guess the tour has really gotten lax on dress code. I don't have anything against it, just looked weird having a tour pro wearing attire like that during tournament play.

How did you about Rickie's untucked Hawaiian shirt a few weeks ago?
Front Range Ag
AG
The tour could probably stand to lighten up a little and still maintain integrity of appearance. I didn't notice Ryan's garb, but the elements the guys have been playing in over the past few weeks have certainly been hoodie-worthy.
jja79
AG
Hard to believe the PGA Tour cares about standards of dress when they allowed Furyk to wear the 5 hour energy hat.
aggiedent
AG
My personal opinion is WGAF.
agsalaska
AG
Pretty sure Ryan Moore is the guy that went with mo sponsors at all for a while, including clubs. I think he won a couple of times like that.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
BigHitterDaLama
aggiedent said:

My personal opinion is WGAF.
Man, you are just spreading joy in all the threads.......
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Maybe I'm getting grumpy old man syndrome. I must admit it amazes me that grown men really worry about players mixing fashion brands and sponsorships. Why?
Roger Goodell
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Maybe I'm getting grumpy old man syndrome. I must admit it amazes me that grown men really worry about players mixing fashion brands and sponsorships. Why?

The internet is my safe space to go and ask these questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.