What's Your Best Putting Tip?

2,662 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My game has been coming together pretty well lately, but my biggest struggle has been putting speed and a little bit of reading movement. Going from a dry green to a wet green or from flat to greens that move a lot just kicks my butt. So what is your best advice? I've tried the "aim a foot and a half past" a few times and it hasn't made much of a difference. I at least once or twice a round read a putt, hit it and it breaks the complete opposite direction of what I read. I'm thinking I may start drawing a line on my ball and maybe try to read it from more angles before putting. Anything else?
Roger Goodell
1.) Remove the grip from your shaft.

2.) Funnel 3 cups of Sugar down the shaft.

3.) Replace grip and enjoy.
PA24
AG
Roger Goodell said:

2.) Funnel 3 cups of Splenda down the shaft.

People call me crazy

Tip:

Give your opponent the first couple of 3 footers. Later in the round, he will be expecting the gift that now doesn't come. Watch him squirm

Thisguy1
Read it from both sides of the hole. Whichever way it's breaking, read it from that side for tempo. (If it's breaking left, read it from the left side of the hole.
Bunk Moreland
believe in the ball. Throw yourself.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I think when it comes to break, lately I've been reading too much break. Do most of you pick a spot a few feet or so in front of the ball and aim at that? That's what I'm going to do today I think and see if it helps.
AustinCountyAg
I am no putting guru by any mean,but when my putting is on here are the two things I do.....

I use an alignment line on my ball. some people like them, so don't. for me it help me stay confident in my line. especially on flatter greens and on putts inside 10ft.

I hit the putt with pace. I feel like most three putts occur (for me) when I get scared and leave them short. If the ball doesn't even reach the hole, it has no chance of going in.
AustinCountyAg
giddings_ag_06 said:

I think when it comes to break, lately I've been reading too much break. Do most of you pick a spot a few feet or so in front of the ball and aim at that? That's what I'm going to do today I think and see if it helps.
where are you playing today?
giddings_ag_06
AG
I'm most likely going to Colovista. I usually play La Grange which, in my opinion, has some of the hardest greens of my local courses. Colovista's greens aren't too bad so maybe I can build a little confidence. I'll be at La Grange Saturday morning for a round.
AustinCountyAg
I played Pine Forest this past weekend and I thought it was in very good shape. Especially considering the $15 golfnow green fee.

giddings_ag_06
AG
I played there about three weeks ago and it killed me. It was really muddy and saturated and my chipping and putting was horrible. I think I shot a 95 which is my worst round in 3 years.
AustinCountyAg
please post how colovista is on here when you finish.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Reply later so it pops up on my subscribed threads and I'm reminded, but I'll try to remember.
Forum Troll
AG
Biggest for me is center face contact which makes speed easier to get correct. The way I best do this is keep the lower body still specifically the hips.
khaos288
AG
Pick a line standing behind the ball. Do not adjust the line once you are at address.
watty
AG
Take an AimPoint class for green reading. Of all the immediate ways to save strokes, that is far and away the most legit.
Forum Troll
AG
watty said:

Take an AimPoint class for green reading. Of all the immediate ways to save strokes, that is far and away the most legit.
I've always wanted to do this but never see a Houston area class. Plenty out east though.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Colovista was good. $26/person and the course was actually in good shape. I'd recommend it. It's actually playing good.
Poot
For speed, I like to relate it to how hard I would roll a ball with my hand. Sometimes it helps to actually make the rolling motion a couple of times with my right hand as I'm walking up to the ball (right handed golfer).

As far as reading the break, it definitely helps to see the behind the hole perspective. It can give you a better idea of where you need the ball to roll and work back from there. Also...

Being that you're in La Grange/Bastrop (never played either of those courses), you might play on hig enough hills to override what you're seeing in the 20-30 ft between your ball and the hole. Course designers love to create those sorr of optical illusions where it looks like your ball breaks up hill. To combat/identify that, you want to take into account the overall lay of the land.

The best and easiest way to do that is just pay attention to what's going on as you're driving/walking up to a green. You can learn a lot before you even get there. Just use common sense... if you walk down 15-20 ft from the cart down to the green, then just make note of that.

Speaking of paying attention... pay attention to every ball that rolls on a green, especially the last few rolls or so around the hole. That can tell you A LOT about what's happening.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Roger Goodell said:

2.) Funnel 3 cups of Sugar down the shaft.

Do this.

Then, use a lighter putter on slow greens and heavy putter on fast greens.
cjsag94
AG
Forum Troll said:

Biggest for me is center face contact which makes speed easier to get correct. The way I best do this is keep the lower body still specifically the hips.

This is my thought as well. I was like OP and regularly hit the ball short, off line, etc. About 5 months ago (after playing for years), a friend i was with asked if i realized the toe of my putter was up in the air... I did not. I've since changed my setup, flattened the putter to the ground by pushing my hands away from my body.

The result has been pure contact with the putter face, and feel and speed have become very good.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I've become a better putter by hitting the putt instead of making a smooth shoulder stroke through the ball.

And more wrist action through the hit.

Yup, this is a stark contrast to what's taught today.

But look at how Jack Nicklaus putts.
BreNayPop
AG
i started getting better by envisioning the line and feel i needed to make every putt, then hit the putt only after i was convinced of exactly what i wanted (done over 2 practice strokes). keep my head still and believe it is going in every time.

i started getting positive feedback with makes, and i started learning where i was misreading based on my misses (kept missing low side with too much speed).

i know when i hit a bad putt when it leaves the putter face now...
one MEEN Ag
AG
Unless the putt is super far away. I've gotten significantly better at putting by looking at the hole when I putt instead of the putter. I will be the first to say I am not a 'good' putter, but I've significantly reduced my amount of 3 putts by doing that and getting the ball to land closer to the pin from 20-40 yards away with a 56 degree wedge. Takes a while to get used to swinging harder than normal so close to the green, but those bombing pitches go where I want them to (if I don't skull it over to the next tee box).
oldschool87
AG
Hit it really close!
Yesterday
AG
Putting is so much about feel and so little about technique IMO. Look at your pros. They all have unique stances, grips, putters and strokes. The common denominator is they hit the center of the clubface and when it's square.

There's no secret to it. You have to practice it to develop the feel. Spend at least as much time on the practice green as you do on the range.
PA24
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Putting is so much about feel and so little about technique IMO. Look at your pros. They all have unique stances, grips, putters and strokes. The common denominator is they hit the center of the clubface and when it's square.

There's no secret to it. You have to practice it to develop the feel. Spend at least as much time on the practice green as you do on the range.
"The common denominator is they hit the center of the clubface and when it's square."
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Keep my head still.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.