Koepka on slow play

2,215 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BTD
leachfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SIAP, but this is a good tactic he describes at about 1:50.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-no-one-has-balls-penalize-slow-play

I actually had to do this with one of my friends a few years ago. I constantly found myself speeding up to compensate for his slow play. One day, I just shut it down and played painfully slow. I think it was the 1st time he ever felt pressure from the group behind us, and he actually began to pick up the pace. That worked for a couple of rounds, but he gradually went back to his slow play. I finally quit playing with him altogether.
Bunk Moreland
Love Koepka opening up more in general lately. If he stays playing top flight, he's going to be a necessary ambassador for the future of the game so I'm glad that he's speaking up.

One of the reasons I loved watching Angel win his majors and being so close in a couple others is that he just makes a decision, walks up the ball and smacks it. So nice to watch a pro play that way.

Also, and I think this is what Koepka is doing here...the 'slow play' piling on Bryson is ridiculous. It's been an issue for quite a while before he ever emerged. He's right that it's a lot of the other top guys who won't just get over the ball and hit the damn thing that are keeping the rule from being enforced.

And it's the same issue in tennis. You don't have to go as fast as Federer, but when Nadal & Djokovic both push the limits to agonizingly slow levels at times, nobody is going to tell 2 of the top 5 to ever play the game to speed it up because when it has happened on occasion it becomes a media firestorm and all the tennis followers basically just back up those guys.
agsalaska
AG
If I am playing in a big round with a lot on the line(relatively speaking), I want the round to play as slow as possible. Most people cant handle slow play. I wont contribute to it necessarily, but if we play a 5 hour plus round and are waiting on every shot, that's advantage Agsalaska. I have seen people go absolutely ape **** over slow play to the point that they couldn't hit the ball solid. I don't like it either, but I can pace myself pretty easily.

That being said, he is absolutely right about the nonsense on the PGA tour. Nothing in the rule changes did anything to speed up play. If anything the pin in rule slowed everyone down. The PGA should treat it like the anchored putters. Let everyone know that on Jan 1, 2020 the 40 second rule will be strictly enforced no matter who you are. Either that or change the rule.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Duckhook
AG
The worst thing about a slow player is that everybody always winds up playing at his speed. The rest of the group can be on the next tee, but the slow player is still going to take his time finishing the prior hole. We've got a couple of slower players in my regular group of 10 - 12 guys, and I've quit letting it bother me. We usually ride, so I just try to spend more time walking between shots.

I will say this though. If I'm playing match play against a guy who likes to play really fast, I do become a little more deliberate.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
We're higher hdcp than most on here and so we're typically going to have longer rounds

But what really gets under my skin is Ball Hunter Guy and the guy that wants to reputt his missed 15 footer when the group behind us is waiting
dahouse
AG
I think the biggest contributor to slow play is the weekend hacker trying to emulate the pros they see. Just because Speith checks his yardage book 4 times and walks halfway to the green before he sticks it to 3 feet doesn't mean that YOU will get the same outcome.

I think PGA caddies should carry rangefinders. Give the golfer exact yardage to the pin, they already know paces from front/edge/back.

Nothing is worse than finally getting time and buddies together (tough to do these days with small kids) and then get stuck behind a foursome that waits for the green to clear from 285 out on a par 5. The you watch each hit 3 more shots to get to the green, then each plumb-bob from each side of the hole for 3 minutes to make that put for an 8.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's absolutely right that the answer is to enforce the rules like they do with every other rule. It's gonna take penalty strokes to change this. When it starts costing guys missed cuts and $$$, then you'll see them adapt.
bagger05
AG
Once it's your turn (landing area is clear or whoever putted before you has retrieved their ball or marked) you get whatever the shot clock is (40 seconds I guess). Grant a handful of extensions to each player per round for those occasions where you have a legitimately tricky shot that requires extra time.

This is what they do in pool. Seems like it'd work fine in golf as well.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I like it. But Who will be timing it? Would they have an official with a clock following each group?
BTD
mavsfan4ever said:

I like it. But Who will be timing it? Would they have an official with a clock following each group?

This could absolutely be done with gps and a little ingenuity.

Give 40 seconds a shot and some arbitrary reserve, perhaps 3 minutes a round. If you go over 40 seconds, no biggie, you eat away at your 3 minute reserve. Once you run out of reserve, if you exceed 40 seconds, stroke penalty. Seems pretty simple. One official per group with the clock synced to a clock with each caddie. You don't have to stress about hitting 45 seconds on a shot and it only penalizes systemic violators. And no four person group in theory could fall back more than 12 minutes. Done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.