Volunteering

1,015 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Front Range Ag
Front Range Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have any of you ever worked a professional tournament?

I recently applied for one and have been wondering what the experience is like. Not necessarily looking for anything particular out of it.
Roger Goodell
It depends what gig you actually get assigned. From parking lot control to crowd control to holding a scorecard. I would say it depends on the actual tourney you are working that will leave a good or bad impression.
cadetjay02
AG
I worked at the Valero in 2003. Did the tee box of 18 on Saturday and the fairway on Sunday. Watched Hank Kuehne lose about 20k when he wasted 2 shots trying to get out of some brush before he took the unplayable. I feel responsible because when he walked up I said I found it but you're not going to like it. He snarled at me and went about proving me right. It took a lot to not laugh when he took 2 swings and moved it a total of 3 feet.
Cool experience if you can get a good job.
FirefightAg
AG
Volunteer at the Byron for the last 7-8 years doing it again this year. I know what job I'll have so it's not a crap shoot. I work EMS and they take as many as sign up. They have three choices but as a fist year I think alot of the desired jobs are taken by senior volunteers. It's a lot of fun great for meeting folks and networking. Food and drinks are taken care of for the day most of he time breakfast is some kind of catered breakfast taco or biscuits. Lunch is usually BBQ or sandwiches. You can also get evening snacks and beer/wine/margaritas when your shift is over.

There are special events and concerts for the host and volunteers. We hang out with some the red pants at the BBq pit. They are always having a good time. Drinks, cigars and BBq is what they do.
Front Range Ag
AG
Thanks for sharing those experiences.

I sent my information in for the Ryder Cup next fall at Whistling Straits. If I don't get pulled, no big deal. If I do, I'll go and enjoy it. I'm not local to that area, but I thought it would give me a good excuse to go see that part of the world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.