Saudi Arabia Controversy

3,271 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured this could be a healthy debate/conversation.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/morning-drive-saudi-arabia-golf-event-controversy

Interesting points from all the panel

Brandel and I actually agree on something
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jja79
AG
Not a big fan of Chamblee but he's right.
_lefraud_
AG
Why would Koepka or any other top player even entertain going with how potentially dangerous it could/would be for them?!
aggiedent
AG
Yeah, I wouldn't voluntary play there. The Euro Tour is clearly after the $$. Nothing real surprising. Money almost always trumps ethics and morals.
agracer
AG
aggiedent said:

Yeah, I wouldn't voluntary play there. The Euro Tour is clearly after the $$. Nothing real surprising. Money almost always trumps ethics and morals.
The world cup in Qatar says hello...
98Ag99Grad
AG
We always want players to stay out of politics, then when they do people get mad they're not taking a stand. Can't have it both ways. If anyone should be under attack it's the euro tour for sanctioning the event. the players are just doing their job IMO.
SquirrellyDan
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Why would Koepka or any other top player even entertain going with how potentially dangerous it could/would be for them?!
Saudi Arabia isn't dangerous overall....this golf tournament most assuredly won't be dangerous.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I find it somewhat difficult to judge SA harshly because the entire region is a mess. To maintain rule over there is ugly business. I wouldn't boycott anything over Khashoggi. It wasn't how things should be done, but they took out the trash with that one.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Quote:

aggiedent said:
The world cup in Qatar says hello...

Are you, and the 2 guys who blue starred you, sure you understand what the expression "...says hello..." means?

Qatar essentially bribed FIFA officials with loads of money to overlook the human rights issues in their country. It's the classic example of money trumping ethics and morals.
rosco511
AG
This is laughable. The European Tour plays events in Turkey, China, UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, and Oman and nobody has a problem with it. All of these other countries have a history of oppression and civil rights abuses.
Big Cat `93
AG
rosco511 said:

This is laughable. The European Tour plays events in Turkey, China, UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, and Oman and nobody has a problem with it. All of these other countries have a history of oppression and civil rights abuses.
THANK you. The journos have their drawers in a knot all of a sudden because one of their own was killed.
Roger Goodell
I find this just ridiculous. Americans have been there for years! FDR found that money and oil! My friend has been working at Saudi Aramco for 6 years and have four years left to hit his early retirement. Works and lives on compound with other Americans, Brits, etc.

Let's get off our high horse here and play golf. The new crowned prince is definitely moving the kingdom into more modern and western times.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

rosco511 said:

THANK you. The journos have their drawers in a knot all of a sudden because one of their own was killed.
One of their own who was a supporter of terrorism
EKUAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Big Cat `93 said:

rosco511 said:

One of their own who was a supporter of terrorism

Nailed it.

I am on mobile so can't link easily to Golf and Eddie Pepperell's response to the controversy. He pointed out they play in several places that has horrible human rights records (China, Qatar, etc). So why no uproar on them?
Big Cat `93
AG
Eddie has a way of cutting through the BS.
Tom Hagen
AG
Brandel is a virtue signaling *****. The players are professionals, i.e. mercenaries. They follow the money and WR points.
EKUAg
AG
Let's see what they say about Phil committing to this tournament for 2020. The writer for Golf.com was calling the tournament controversial. Then I checked his bio. A 2014 college grad.

Kashoggi was a Qatar info operation that played the Post. By our standards he should not have been killed, but the game is played much differently in that part of the world.
The Lost
I dont think its controversial from a location standpoint, i hate more that its the week of a big us event.

I get growing the game and getting paid globally like the nba/china, but why cant this be done like a ton of the other stuff going on in the fall and keeping phil, dj, brooks, finau at phoenix?

I dont care at all when its done in the "off season", sucks when its during the actual part of the tour people care about.
Mr.Bond
AG
Can't believe Phil is skipping what's essentially his home tournament. Dude is a staple at the WO
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Baby Billy
AG
Quote:

The writer for Golf.com was calling the tournament controversial. Then I checked his bio. A 2014 college grad.

Why would that matter?
EKUAg
AG
Ed Gelton said:

Quote:

The writer for Golf.com was calling the tournament controversial. Then I checked his bio. A 2014 college grad.

Why would that matter?

Just my opinion that they are young, naieve, toting and preconceived agenda. That was just the way I felt.
EKUAg
AG
The Lost said:

I dont think its controversial from a location standpoint, i hate more that its the week of a big us event.

I get growing the game and getting paid globally like the nba/china, but why cant this be done like a ton of the other stuff going on in the fall and keeping phil, dj, brooks, finau at phoenix?

I dont care at all when its done in the "off season", sucks when its during the actual part of the tour people care about.

This is part of the European swing through the Middle East. Right after Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/tiger-woods-its-ok-phil-mickelsons-playing-in-saudi-arabia/

Quote:

Mickelson later replied to criticism on Twitter by saying, "I understand those who are upset or disappointed. You'll be OK.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.