Kuchar paid his local Mexican caddie $3k for Mayakoba win!

20,826 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jj9000
Pignorant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kuchar hired a local caddie from Playa who takes the bus everyday to the golf course. He ended up winning the tournament and only paid the caddie $3K!

_lefraud_
AG
This can't be accurate, can it? That would be roughly .23% of Kuchar's $1,296,000 winnings...
98Ag99Grad
AG
Has to be true. It's on twitter.
Mr.Bond
AG
You can look at it two ways. 1) kooch is a cheap ass. 2) a local caddie just made 3 grand in 5 days (which is a ****load more than I make it 5 days) in a country where 3k probably goes a decent way
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Mr.Bond said:

2) a local caddie just made 3 grand in 5 days (which is a ****load more than I make it 5 days) in a country where 3k probably goes a decent way

i'm sure that's how kuch justified it as well. poor brown guy in poor brown country should be happy.
Van Buren Boy
AG
He did it to save the guys life.
Yesterday
AG
Or it was a guaranteed $3k. So he was getting $3k even if Kuchar didn't make *****
AggieEyes
AG
I think $20k would be about what I would give if I was in Kuchars shoe's. Dude is cheap AF if true.
Mr.Bond
AG
I would have done it for some course swag and a selfie
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Old Tom Morris
maybe he kept drinking all of Kuch's tequila stash
cab559
AG
That would be grey goose bro
Yesterday
AG
Non story.

https://golfweek.com/2019/01/13/matt-kuchar-denies-rumor-he-paid-local-caddie-just-3000-for-win/
Yesterday
AG
AggieEyes said:

I think $20k would be about what I would give if I was in Kuchars shoe's. Dude is cheap AF if true.

Everything is easy when it's not your money.
GMaster0
It's like that movie with Matt Damon.
98Ag99Grad
AG
GMaster0 said:

Bourne Identity. I agree.
EKUAg
AG
Not sure Tom Gillis throwing shade is a good source.
MookieBlaylock
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

GMaster0 said:

Bourne Identity. I agree.

I was thinking Downsizing
The Milkman
AG
Pignorant said:

Kuchar hired a local caddie from Playa who takes the bus everyday to the golf course. He ended up winning the tournament and only paid the caddie $3K!

Tron from NLU is a hack
Swollen Thumb
AG
From what I gather, the 10% "rule" we hear about for caddies is really only for the full-time "team" guys. For local caddies, it seems there is generally a pre-agreed amount regardless of result, which can often that can be much less than $3K, even on tour.

Now, we can assume this Tucan guy wasn't helping Kuch pick clubs or discuss shots since he probably isn't that familiar with his game. Maybe he didn't do much for him on the greens either, in which case Kooch just had some guy carry his bag, clean his ball/clubs and hand him the clubs he asked for. So he thinks the agreed upon $3k (or whatever) is sufficient. And you could justify that under those assumptions. But it is a bad look regardless when you win and take home close to $1.3mm.

I think I would have at least given him $15k-$20k.

bagger05
AG
You could write the headline like this:

Man pays agreed upon rate for services rendered
The Milkman
AG
bagger05 said:

You could write the headline like this:

Man pays agreed upon rate for services rendered
And like with many stories in sports related to athletes unhappy with their contact.

"Man unhappy to be paid agreed upon rate for serviced rendered."
Yesterday
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

From what I gather, the 10% "rule" we hear about for caddies is really only for the full-time "team" guys. For local caddies, it seems there is generally a pre-agreed amount regardless of result, which can often that can be much less than $3K, even on tour.

Now, we can assume this Tucan guy wasn't helping Kuch pick clubs or discuss shots since he probably isn't that familiar with his game. Maybe he didn't do much for him on the greens either, in which case Kooch just had some guy carry his bag, clean his ball/clubs and hand him the clubs he asked for. So he thinks the agreed upon $3k (or whatever) is sufficient. And you could justify that under those assumptions. But it is a bad look regardless when you win and take home close to $1.3mm.

Your last two lines is where I completely disagree. If that were the case then Matt should tip the maid an extra $3500 and the limo driver an extra $1500 and the waiter an extra $2500 etc. etc.

Services are worth what they're worth. Not more because you won and earned an extra 1.3 million.

Swollen Thumb
AG
Good point and I don't disagree. Was just saying that regardless, it is not a great PR look. So for that reason alone, I'd have probably hook the guy up a little bit. But hell, if I won $1.3mm, then eeerrrbody getting hooked up!
The Milkman
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Swollen Thumb said:

Your last two lines is where I completely disagree. If that were the case then Matt should tip the maid an extra $3500 and the limo driver an extra $1500 and the waiter an extra $2500 etc. etc.

Services are worth what they're worth. Not more because you won and earned an extra 1.3 million.

Except in most instances with the caddy the pay is directly proportional to how much the player wins. Their services are the same week to week, but their pay is not.
Yesterday
AG
The Milkman said:

03ki11erAG said:

Swollen Thumb said:

Except in most instances with the caddy the pay is directly proportional to how much the player wins. Their services are the same week to week, but their pay is not.

This is true in many instances for permanent caddies and in some instance even permanent caddies get a flat rate. This is not true for local caddies who has no skin in the game at all. He lives there. He has no travel expense and he's getting a garaunteed payment.
Yesterday
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

Good point and I don't disagree. Was just saying that regardless, it is not a great PR look. So for that reason alone, I'd have probably hook the guy up a little bit. But hell, if I won $1.3mm, then eeerrrbody getting hooked up!

It's a bad PR look because people who make a living off the backs of these players made it a bad PR move. I completely get your point though.
proudaggie02
AG
It's a bad look because it takes a greedy ahole to only give 3k after a win on the PGA tour. They may have agreed to 3k before, but he won. I'd like to think the overwhelming majority of people have a bit of decency and generosity.

Pathetic on Kuchar's part.
bagger05
AG
1. Worth mentioning that while we have all discussed it like this assertion is accurate, Kuchar disputes it. None of us actually know what Kuchar paid the guy.

2. There was some talk about Kuchar having a rep as being cheap, but doesn't Kuchar have a long standing reputation for being a really good dude? After thinking about it, it seems weird that we've been content to take this Tron guy at his word and assume Kuchar is lying about it.
bagger05
AG
Quote:

"That's not a story," Kuchar said, per Golf Channel. "(What I paid him), it wasn't 10 percent. It wasn't $3,000. It's not a story."
Obi Wan Ginobili
I'm taking Kuchars side. He's a nice guy. I bet after the win, he discretely tossed the caddie some extra coin, even though he absolutely was not obligated to do so.

I like the thought that he tried to do it quietly so that people wouldn't be bothering this poor dude because they think he just landed a six figure pay day.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

it seems weird that we've been content to take this Tron guy at his word and assume Kuchar is lying about it.
Sign of the times...it's guilty until proven innocent these days. Accusations mean more than facts.

I'd like to think when these guys cash a huge check, they take care of the caddie above and beyond - I'd like to think that. I also have heard Kuchar is a nice dude, and that seems to be backed up by other tour players.

We spent about 60 seconds chatting with him as he was signing some autographs for my kids - he was the only one out of the 20-30 guys that actually said anything - "how was your day - did you have fun? Are you coming back tomorrow? do you guys play golf too?" - simple innocent stuff but to this day my kid still talks about how he think Kuchar was the "nicest". That's my first hand experience with him. The only other player to say anything to us was Dylan Fritelli (t.u. alum) and he ribbed my youngest for having an Aggie visor and said he couldn't sign it (jokingly). This was at the Dell Match Play in Austin.

All this speculation is stupid. Who cares?

leachfan
I can believe this. The caddy could've been trying to keep everyone out of his pocket. It's Mexico, so no telling who might want their cut of the earnings. He may be hiding the money from his employer, family, friends, government, people he owes, cartel, etc..
AggieEyes
AG
True who knows - Kuch seems like a nice guy for all I know.
Swollen Thumb
AG
bagger05 said:

it seems weird that we've been content to take this Tron guy at his word and assume Kuchar is lying about it.
It was the Tom Gillis guy who put it out there. Tron just retweeted it (with comment). I actually really like the No Laying Up guys and their podcast. They have a certain following among tour players/caddies so seem pretty well tuned into the "locker room" talk, reputations, etc. but don't generally air folks out in their pod for clicks. I listened to their latest where they discussed this deal. They were fair and specifically acknowledged that details are lacking/unconfirmed. They didn't pile on, or slam Kuch personally, but did say he has had a pretty well known rep among caddies for let's just say, not over-paying. Otherwise, said he is a nice guy and popular among other tour players....just maybe not as much among caddies circles. I personally have always liked Kuch and this deal won't change that. My young kids always give out a "Kuuuuuuuuuuuuch" every time he's on TV. They got a lot of practice this past weekend. Was glad to see him win.
Quinn
AG
Update to the story:

'They can keep their money': Kuchar's fill-in caddie breaks silence over pay dispute

Quote:

David Giral Ortiz, the diminutive Mexican caddie who goes by El Tucan, said in a recent phone interview that after being paid $5,000 by Matt Kuchar on the Sunday evening after the golfer won the Mayakoba Golf Classic on Nov. 11, he has not received any other payment.

The caddie said he was offered an additional $15,000, for a total of $20,000, but that he found that unacceptable. He also said he would not want to work for Kuchar at next year's tournament.
Quote:

In a Jan. 24 email Ortiz sent to Mark Steinberg, Kuchar's agent, the caddie wrote, "I am a humble man, who takes care of his family, and works hard. I am reaching out to you to see if you can facilitate me receiving a fair amount for my help with Matt winning $1,296,000. I am not looking to disparage Matt or give him a bad name. Fair is fair, and I feel like I was taken advantage of by placing my trust in Matt."

Quote:

Ortiz said he did not expect to be paid what a Tour caddie would have made, but said he believed his work and contribution toward the win was worth $50,000. The win was Kuchar's first in more than four years. He has made over $46 million in Tour prize money in his career and is 10th on the career money list.

Speaking through a translator, Ortiz said, "Matt is a good person and a great player. He treated me very well. I am only disappointed by how it all finished."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.