Golf Simulator

8,664 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Philip J Fry
GQaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do y'all think would be the minimum ceiling height needed to hit all clubs? I'm 6'1'' and have a 9ft ceiling in the garage.
Yesterday
AG
9' would be really close. A flat swing could probably do it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
GQaggie said:

What do y'all think would be the minimum ceiling height needed to hit all clubs? I'm 6'1'' and have a 9ft ceiling in the garage.

Have you tried swinging a driver in your garage?
GQaggie
AG
I haven't, but I will when I get home today.
jschroeder
I'm 6'0".

Only reason our garage is 10' is the 9' ceilings at the old house were a problem for the backswing.

AggieDruggist89
AG
GQaggie said:

I haven't, but I will when I get home today.

Well??
GQaggie
AG
Yeah, don't think 9ft is going to cut it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
GQaggie said:

Yeah, don't think 9ft is going to cut it.

Did you contact your realtor?
GQaggie
AG
Seeing as how I just bought this house less than 2 months ago, I'm stuck for awhile. A clear lack of foresight on my part. There are a couple of other location options in the house, not as ideal as the garage, that might work.
The Grinder (99)
AG
One other consideration. The platform you hit off of has some height to it. For trugolf anyway, it's about 3-4 inches tall. So keep that in mind as you look for a place to put these things.

I had a " what have I done moment" when I was setting mine up and thought it wouldn't fit. Luckily it did fit after all but talk about a lump in my throat!
DannyDuberstein
AG
On a related topic, there is a gouge in the living room ceiling of an apartment in College Station that was put there in 1995 that might still be there. Probably been painted over a number of times by now, but I would imagine the dent is still there.
andrago94
AG
I have a 9 ft ceiling for my simulator. I'm 5'9", but have had people as tall as 6'3" swing on it. Depends a lot on swing plane though.
PJYoung
AG
Skytrak is on the way!

Gonna use the current net/mat outdoor patio setup I already own and I have a tv out there that should work fine.

AggieDruggist89
AG
PJYoung said:

Skytrak is on the way!

Gonna use the current net/mat outdoor patio setup I already own and I have a tv out there that should work fine.

It's an awesome tool and when used right, it can teach you alot about your swing.

I would think most people's focus is dialing in the distance at first but pay attention to your clubhead head path, side spin, backspin and the height of your ball. It's very helpful.

Also, simulate temperature altitude, wind and humidity.

Its money well spent.
PJYoung
AG
Yep gonna start once weekly lessons at the same time and see what happens.

TechPracAggie
I've got a GC2 setup. I like it, but I don't use it as much as I thought.

I think it is mainly because I have to take it up and down because my cats will climb the impact screen if it is down.
BTD
Is the noise from driver impact at all an issue hitting indoors?
AggieDruggist89
AG
BTD said:

Is the noise from driver impact at all an issue hitting indoors?

That would depend on your significant other.
The Grinder (99)
AG
it's louder than you might think, as the ball hitting the screen is as loud if not louder than the ball strike.

PJYoung
AG
After almost a month of use my Skytrak nightly sessions and once a week lessons are already paying dividends.

Couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.
JarAG2007
AG
I know its been discussed about SkyTrak but if i didn't want to spend $2K+ does anyone have opinions about these other options? (Would love SkyTrak if i could afford setup)

Optishot 2
Pros: Hear its more accurate than others on the list and has online play capability and course built in.
Cons: Putting is bad, lighting has to be adjusted in room for reading, have to tape some clubs for accuracy

R-Motion
Pros: Easy to use and pretty accurate, can hit real balls, can play TGC but only 15 courses, has app also
Cons: TGC19 doesn't work with this (yet), sometimes doesn't read or have to replace sensor, clips on clubs

Tittle X
Pros: Small compact, don't have to actually hit ball, comes with E6 simulator package, LED screen, kid friendly
Cons: Might be least accurate of 3, not as much tech support as others, need good PC, clip life

One not listed is PhiGolf, because i can't find much on it. If anyone has other suggestion i am open ears. I am looking for something like these that are cost effective for my home and can justify to the wife. Driving range session are $10-15 plus gas. I am trying to use that angle to help my case. Thanks.
Yesterday
AG
In my opinion Optishot is a joke. It's a game. Nowhere near accurate enough or playable. I couldn't hit down on the ball with irons without destroying it.
PJYoung
AG
PhiGolf is a game as well. Doesn't really relate to a real swing.
URDeparted
Owned R-Motion for a while and had to get rid of it because of space issues. For the price I don't think it can be beat. Does require a pretty good PC to run the TGC software. I originally thought it was going to be irritating switching the sensor out from club to club, but that wasn't that bad. The real annoyance was taking off and putting on the sensor holders on the clubs when I needed to go out to a real course and play. As you mentioned it comes with 15 courses for play. If you really get into you can upgrade to full version for a one time fee of $500. The one issue with the R-Motion is it pretty much assumes solid contact every swing. It can gauge distance pretty well, and right and left dispersion was good. But if you thin a ball, it doesn't catch that and ball still gets airborne normally on sim.

For around $200 for a sensor and 14-clip kit, I would recommend it. Especially if you already own a PC that can run the software.
Philip J Fry
AG
TechPracAggie said:

I've got a GC2 setup. I like it, but I don't use it as much as I thought.

I think it is mainly because I have to take it up and down because my cats will climb the impact screen if it is down.

Can't see myself putting down 7+ bills on something like this and not using the **** out of it.

I'm honestly a little shocked at how expensive the launch monitors are. Makes me want to just purchase a high speed camera and build my own rig.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.