Golf Simulator

8,716 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Philip J Fry
Diego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm considering the installation of a golf simulator in my upstairs game room. Any recommendations? GCQuad vs. Trackman?

Yesterday
AG
trackman is the gold standard but it's also $20k. If you're dropping that much I would definitely consult professionals.

Sounds like it will be awesome! Let me know when I can come over.
ehargrave
AG
SkyTrak is all you need and is much cheaper
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have Skytrak. And it should be on sale now.
12thmanfootball
AG
One drawback with the Tracman is that it has a delay........that said, owners say they get used to it after a while.
Mr.Bond
AG
Do you have to put stickers on the ball for trackman too when it's indoors?
Yesterday
AG
Trackman uses radar so it needs a certain amount of space to read the ball correctly but I doubt it needs stickers.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Flightscope uses stickers.
khaos288
AG
Skytrack is good enough for almost everyone. It's generally within 2 yards and 500 rpms of trackman.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ah thanks
AggieDruggist89
AG
You can play Pebble and St. Andrews.. among other courses on Skytrak.
Diego
AG
What about Foresight Sports' GCQuad? How does it compare to SkyTrak?
The Grinder (99)
AG
I have the trugolf Vista 8.

If you have any questions, let me know

Edit I intended to use the "thumbs up"
beb06
AG
I have the GC2 and it works great. Have not tried the GCQuad, just way too expensive to upgrade.
Mateo84
AG
Can you guys give some specifics on your setups? Any pics, all-in costs, etc?
AggieDruggist89
AG
I have my skytrak set up in the garage with an iPad because I'm getting ready to move. I will make sure my next house has a basement where I can set this up with a projector, cloth-curtain cover and a projector screen back I can hit into.

I estimate this takes up about 15 x 15 feet of space.

I bought a Skytrak from here. Skytrak with Tee Off Plan for a bit over $2000.

Here's the cage. Sold as 10 x 10 x 10 but I made it into 9.5 x 5 x 10. It's hard to fit a 10 ft cage in a 10.5 ft tall garage. You have to buy the pipes separately. I think I spent about $300.

I have a commercial driving range mat. About $200

DannyDuberstein
AG
What is your assessment of Skytrak's accuracy?
AggieDruggist89
AG
In my subjective asessement, it's spot on. With Skytrak, I have been able to dial in my distance for all clubs, control my side spin, and know how my ball behaves when it lands.

I got back into golf this June after binge golfing for 20 years. The last time I played with this intensity was probably in 1995.

Bought the skytrak around July, confirmed my ball flight tendencies with dispersion distances and really dialed in my approach shots.

Got my first hole in one in 35 years of golf. I actually called the shot. High Draw 8 iron to 145 yards to the back of the green and suck it back left.

Started at about 8 index this summer and now down to 3 to 4.

Played 4 rounds of golf past weekend in Monterey and lost 1 ball and kept everything in play.

79, 76, 75, 79. The last course was a Johnny Miller design course in Gilroy, CA. He's f***ING crazy. Insane greens to approach.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I spent more time chipping, pitching, and putting to improve. But having the skytrak allowed me to hone in my full swing because I can just try all different kinds of swings and tips at home. I have identified every possible ways to not swing a club but I've also learned that there are several ways to swing and actually make the ball go where you want it to.

Today when I play golf, I'm not thinking about golf swing. I'm focused on the target and where to go and how to get there.

My goal is to reduce the golf course into 18 easy par 3s where my main focus is hitting my drives (and 2nd shots on par 5s) where it will give me the best approach to the green.

And after 3 to 4 holes, I don't know my score, I don't care, and I don't want my playing partner to tell me what my score is or their scores as it has no bearing on my next shot.

Sorry.... Bit of Seriously77 in me coming out.
GCP12
AG
That Skytrak is a hell of a device!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Better than helluva drugs for sure!
Yesterday
AG
Skytrak tends to lose accuracy the higher the ball speed gets I.e. 170 mph and higher. Thankfully I don't have that problem. When tested with Teackman it was within a yard or two on irons and 7-10 yards off on the driver. Skytrak measures the ball so you won't get swing speed or smash factor. It will "guess" those figures. For $18k less it's a hell of a deal.
Mateo84
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I have my skytrak set up in the garage with an iPad because I'm getting ready to move. I will make sure my next house has a basement where I can set this up with a projector, cloth-curtain cover and a projector screen back I can hit into.

I estimate this takes up about 15 x 15 feet of space.

I bought a Skytrak from here. Skytrak with Tee Off Plan for a bit over $2000.

Here's the cage. Sold as 10 x 10 x 10 but I made it into 9.5 x 5 x 10. It's hard to fit a 10 ft cage in a 10.5 ft tall garage. You have to buy the pipes separately. I think I spent about $300.

I have a commercial driving range mat. About $200

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Would love to see some other setups that folks have
Seriously77
AggieDruggist89 said:

You can play Pebble and St. Andrews.. among other courses on Skytrak.
So where does the course (Pebble and St Andrews) view at?
I like you net but don't see the course or a screen anywhere

Very nice practice area.

AggieDruggist89
AG
I told you old fart. I'm not going to set up hitting screen and projector until I move. I can view those courses on any mobile device or a computer for now.
andrago94
AG
If you want to be able to use different programs, Skytrak and GC2 are good options. I have a GC2 with the Foresight FSX software, The Golf Club, and Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf.

The GCQuad only works with the FSX software. FSX has a great driving range which I use for practice, but the courses are expensive and not as good as TGC or JNPG. Lots of great free courses on TGC and JNPG.
Seriously77
AggieDruggist89 said:

I told you old fart. I'm not going to set up hitting screen and projector until I move. I can view those courses on any mobile device or a computer for now.
I am an old fart and I like it.

So I am thinking about investing maybe a few thousands on one of theses and put it in my aircraft hangar. I saw some good used ones on eBay, not sure how accurate the feed back is on one of the screens u hit with the ball but the possibities have my interest.

PJYoung
AG
I'm in. Just wondering where to put it.
Dr T and the Women
AG
https://www.costco.com/.product.100463214.html?&EMID=B2C_2018_1212_5DayOffers

this just popped up for me today. Is it a sign from god? anybody w/ experience? I am very tempted
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seriously77
I would go test, purposely hit some slices and duck hooks to see if it really shows a near true flight path before I sent $11k.
jj9000
AG
I have the exact setup you have...but I'm close to cutting mine down from 10' to 5'-6' in length.

There's no good reason to have a 10' deep cage.

SkyTrack and JNPG is next.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

I have the exact setup you have...but I'm close to cutting mine down from 10' to 5'-6' in length.

My cage is 5 ft deep. Works fine. Once I put it indoor with projector and hitting screen, I will probably go shallower.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

jj9000 said:

My cage is 5 ft deep. Works fine. Once I put it indoor with projector and hitting screen, I will probably go shallower.

Agree. 10' is way too deep, and standing halfway in it makes the cage feel smaller than it is...if that makes sense. Good discussion on different builds over on WRX.
investorAg83
AG

Just another option; not a simulator but a budget tool.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Dr T,

I have a Trugolf vista 8. I believe it is the same system but slightly more narrow projection.

I didn't see what software they are selling at Costco, but their new software came out about 12 months ago. I bought right before that and they gave me the new for free, so now I have both. The new software is definitely the way to go, but I enjoy having them both for a few subtle reasons.

if you have questions let me know.

you can text me at 806- two three six- 487nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.