PGA Tour Draft

1,113 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by third coast..
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like the details are still being worked out, but apparently there is a project that is examining how to take the top players directly from college and into the PGA Tour:

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/12/04/pga-tour-draft-program-college-golfers/

From what I gather, the benefits include the ability of tour rookies to be able to play a full schedule and not rely on a sponsor exemption, as well as the name recognition of top players at the college level transitioning to the pros.

That being said, my initial reaction is apprehension. I like the fact that there is no draft and everyone that has a card on the big tour had to earn it through a variety of means. The argument that a draft broadcast would bring even more eyeballs to the sport in the manner of the NFL, NBA is invalid to me - there are no teams to be drafted to so there is no individual fan base that would be excited to see who they get.

Plus many casual fans don't watch typical golf tournament broadcasts or NCAA championships, so the idea that they will tune in to watch college guys get their card by whatever judgement the tour has. There is nu guarantee that college success = tour success. I like the fact that Reed had to fight to qualify through multiple Mondays and as a result he's been able to make a noteworthy career out of it. Or that Speith made the most out of sponsor exemptions to be able to secure his card. I'm interested to see the proposal, but I'm not too optimistic about this.
Aggie369
AG
Maybe trying to balance out the field so the guys who have connections dont get preferred treatment/starts

I can see pros/cons to it but overall I think I like how in the end the PGA tour is a pure competition. No contracts on playing time...no deals....pure performance. Every week, every month, every year the tour ends up putting the best players who are playing their best golf on TV
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
third coast.. said:

serious question. i know web.com and q school are ways to get your card. How else would a young guy get his card? did guys like spieth and fowler play on those tours? i didnt think that they did? Did they win a tourney while in on a sponsors exemption?
sponsor exemptions, do really well in those events to earn your card.
Aggie369
AG
Good college players and had connections
jonj101
Speith got exemptions and made the most out of them - I think his first win was at the John Deere that he got in via exemption.

The other way is to Monday qualify (which in many cases involves playing good at a Pre qualifier), than playing well enough to earn enough money or outright win the event. This is a long shot, but I think it was Austin Cook who some years ago Monday qualified at the Shell, then played well enough to get into the top 10/15 of the tournament.
Aggie369
AG
Spieth also got help from ATT at the byron numerous times
LHIOB
AG
jonj101 said:

Speith got exemptions and made the most out of them - I think his first win was at the John Deere that he got in via exemption.

The other way is to Monday qualify (which in many cases involves playing good at a Pre qualifier), than playing well enough to earn enough money or outright win the event. This is a long shot, but I think it was Austin Cook who some years ago Monday qualified at the Shell, then played well enough to get into the top 10/15 of the tournament.

Reed Monday qualified like 6 out of 7 weeks. The story is bonkers.
agsalaska
AG
I think it is a terrible idea.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Ragoo
AG
agsalaska said:

I think it is a terrible idea.
agreed
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.