Srixon clubs?

3,438 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mr.Bond
GCP12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the Z-star ball and it is pretty much all I play now. I am looking to upgrade my bag. My current irons are Mizuno MP-60s. I have heard in the past that the Srixon irons feel a lot like Mizunos. After watching some iron reviews on YouTube, it seems that the new 785 Driver is also getting really good reviews.

Does anyone use Srixon irons or drivers? Any reviews, good or bad?
khaos288
AG
Irons feel amazing.

Have tested them a few times, but couldn't find a good used set and I never buy new.
AggiePride07
AG
Recently just got fit for full bag at Impact Precision in Spring, TX. Was between Callaway Rouge and Srixon 785 driver. Went with the Srixon.

Had about 10-15 yards more carry with the Srixon driver on average over the Callaway.

Got the Callaway Apex irons though.
REMARCH11
AG
I switch to Srizon Z 965 this year after playing Miurs CB 301s.

I never thought I would ever leave Miura, but I absolutely love these irons. They feel great and are accurate as all get out!! Highly recommend them.

I was fitted at Sellingers in Roanoke, talked to Jon "my fitter" about the driver and he told me to pass. Said " the ball speed isn't there and the spin rate is to high."

Irons are phenomenal!!
God,....I really hate the sips!
AggiePride07
AG
I will say this, the shaft makes all the difference.

So, if it's in your budget, get fit for a shaft on the driver.
GCP12
AG
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I haven't decided if I want to buy a new driver or not yet. My driver is old as hell, but it is the most consistent club in my bag. I have a feeling hitting a new driver might make me change my mind.
hoya-ag
AG
I switched from Mizuno to Srixon irons a couple years ago. I love them. Couple other guys in my group play them as well.
jj9000
AG
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1719668-some-random-items-for-sale-srixon-combo-iron-set-cameron-futura-some-shafts/

GI in the long irons...and cavity backs in the mid-short irons.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Been playing the 565's since May and love them. Little more GI than my old MP53 but still have a rather traditional look. Have Aerotech shafts in them.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I love the 565s and 765s. Definitely not man enough to play the 965s, but they are slick looking.

I ultimately went with the TM p790s since I got a great deal on them, but really wanted a mix set of 5/765s like the one posted above.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Ryan Palmer recently switched to Srixon irons too to make this Aggie related.
93MarineHorn
I got a set of 565 (3 - AW) 18 months ago and very happy with them, especially the long and mid irons. The 3 iron is very long off the tee and very forgiving. Absolutely love that club. They look great too. You should get a set.
Mr.Bond
AG
AggiePride07 said:

I will say this, the shaft makes all the difference.

Been telling my wife this for years
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

terradactylexpress
I got fitted about 6 months ago, walked in ready to get mizunos or the new tm 790s? Ended up with the srixon irons and I love them. But I agree that getting the lie/length and shaft fitted had a bigger impact than the head. There were 2-3 different heads that were all essentially the same for me
DRE06
AG
Went from Mizuno MP-63 to Srixon 565. Best move ever. Went from a 12.5 to a 7.9, which I contribute a good portion to the clubs. No lessons.
Trinity Ag
S
Been gaming Z765s for about 9 months, plus 23* and 18* U65 driving irons. I've almost always played blades or forged player's irons, and have gone from a 10 to a 6.4 with these irons.

They are great clubs -- I like them significantly better than the 714 AP2 I was playing previously.

They have a forged feel, but have tungsten weights to provide more forgiveness -- like later model Titleist AP2 or CB.

They play long, but part of this is the fact their lofts are 2* stronger than some comparable irons. I have a 105 driver swing speed, and hit the 7i 160-165, which is about 10 yards further than the 714 Ap2s. Set gaps are a solid 10 yards/club from 5i to 9i. The PW is only 1* strong, so that sometimes leaves me between clubs on the 120-125 yard shot. Despite the strong lofts, I have no issue launching them high -- the tungsten keeps the center of gravity low.

I tend to hit outside in and cut my irons, so the additional weight in the toe suits my swing, and helps keep my misses to the right in play.

One thing I would note is that as forged clubs they will show some bag chatter, but the faces are really durable -- much more so than Titleist Irons. I bang a lot of balls on the range, and I have seen minimal wear on even my 7 iron.

I picked up a 4-pw set -- brand new -- for $499 online last spring. The price was too good to resist.

I think as player's irons they position pretty well between the Mizuno MP-18 SC and the Titleist AP2 -- for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost, if that matters.
leachfan
I play combo 565/765. Love them
PA24
AG
Looking at Santa to bring me a set of 565s, they look kinda like the old late 90 Callaway irons I use to play with.

Wonder how easy they are to clean?
PA24
AG
PW from the late 90s up to 2010 were 48 degrees. I think they were 52 and 50 degrees in the 70s and 80s. The other clubs de-loft as much as 4 degrees as they count down, generally.

The 565 PW is 44 degrees.

The AW is 50 degrees which matches a PW from the 80s.

Technology has allowed the proper de-lofting of the clubs which is why you are hitting your irons as far as the pros did back in the day.

but

All things equal, greater club head speed managed for a golf course will always rule from tee to green.
Jjstats08
Srixons are the best! Been playing the 765's and just bought the 785's. Also, just bought the 3 wood and it is legit. I highly recommend it!
Trinity Ag
S
Duggins90 said:

PW from the late 90s up to 2010 were 48 degrees. I think they were 52 and 50 degrees in the 70s and 80s. The other clubs de-loft as much as 4 degrees as they count down, generally.

Technology has allowed the proper de-lofting of the clubs which is why you are hitting your irons as far as the pros did back in the day.

but

All things equal, greater club head speed managed for a golf course will always rule from tee to green.

I think my 1985 Titleist tour model PW is 49*.

The Z765 PW loft is 46*

About ten yards difference.
PA24
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Duggins90 said:

but

I think my 1985 Titleist tour model PW is 49*.

The Z765 PW loft is 46*

About ten yards difference.
My PW 1845s from the 90s was a 48.

I tested the 565 against the Callaway Rouge X and preferred the Callaway but not enough to shelf my TM RBZ.

Think I will spend the money on family Christmas gifts.

panag
AG
Got fitted for the first time ever for irons recently and landed on the Z 785s. I tried the 585 since I thought a mixed set would be great, but ultimately the 785s performed better for me and I liked the feel better. Haven't ordered them yet, but I probably will soon!
GCP12
AG
Got fit today. Think I'm going with the 785s 3-AW, and a 56 degree rtx4. I struggle with hitting 3/4 irons, so I might get the 4 hybrid instead of the 4 iron. Loved the srixon hybrid.

The 785s looked and felt extremely similar to the MP60s I currently have. From the tracker, I was hitting my 7 iron 10-15 yards further and 5 iron 15+ yards longer. My current clubs do have a lot of wear and tear and some extra stiff shafts that I definitely don't need, but I was very impressed with the numbers.

I did try the Z785 driver, but I think I'm going to hold off on it. I couldn't get comfortable with it, but the forgiveness of it was light years ahead of my old Nike sasquatch driver that I play with now. I was hitting it all over the club and still getting decent numbers. But, the numbers from my current driver when hit well was still keeping up. The driver is the best club in my bag, so I need to be blown away before spending $500 to make a change.

Loved the rtx4. Was getting some great spin numbers with it and it looks great behind the ball.

Definitely recommend giving srixon a look for anyone looking to make a change.
cab559
AG
Is there a place to get fitted for these in Houston?

I've always been an off the rack guy but interested in some of graphite shaft options they offer. I'm a high single digit, but my dad has a set of the old gen 565s with stiff graphite shafts and I hit them so pure. I would take them if he offered.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I went to Impact Precision Golf off 45 in Spring. Another guy on this thread did too. Great guys, very knowledgeable. It's a little place in a strip center behind a gas station. Kinda hidden.
AggiePride07
AG
Head over to Impact in Spring, TX. Tell Major, one of the guys that works there (not Applewhite), another TexAger sent you. I mentioned them earlier. Great guys. You'll be impressed with the different options they have to offer. You can do just an iron fitting or a whole bag fitting.
panag
AG
Anybody gaming the 785 driver? Trying to decide between it and the g400 LST.
Mr.Bond
AG
Just got the LST, my first ping driver ever
Being someone who has struggled with high launch and high spin since forever. This driver has been a wet dream thus far. It's sound is also incredible
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

panag
AG
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to hit the ping at club champion with my shaft of choice because it's on close out for the new release in January. However, I did hit the LST at Golf Galaxy with a random X shaft and was seeing great numbers (if there equipment is accurate). The face on the Srixon was more efficient numbers wise, though. LST can be had right now for about $200 less than the Srixon, though.

I wish I could just give them a go on the course. I really dislike getting fit without actually playing the driver for a few holes.
Mr.Bond
AG
A number of courses will let you take out a demo on the course. I have the stock tour shaft in mine. I was highly skeptical of stock OEM shaft. This is fantastic

jj9000
AG
The PING Tour 65 shaft is a UST Elements Chrome with a PING paint job.

If you change the grip you'll see the UST specs.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ah good to know...... Well I like it

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.