Is Trinity Forest GC Worth the Guest Fee?

4,567 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by powerbelly
CF13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have had a few opportunities to play out there and not sure if I want to drop $700 plus caddie for a twosome and most likely some swag for a round out there. Anyone played? Is it worth it?
Yesterday
AG
Not even close to worth it.
FTAco07
AG
I've played it 3 times, and grew to really appreciate it. I hated it the first time, but it was still growing in and the greens were rock hard. I played twice leading up to the Byron Nelson when they had watered and slowed things down and had a blast. It's a great course if you enjoy strategic golf and are good enough to hit drives to specific sides of the fairway and approach shots certain portions of greens, but it can be frustrating if your typical game (like mine) is just hit the fairway and green.

Full disclosure, I never had tonpay for anything so that value proposition is up to you, but if I were paying I wouldn't want to drop that kind of coin in the middle of winter when the grass is dormant and it's probably running even faster than normal.
FirefightAg
AG
I'd say no. It didn't even look cool all dolled up for the Nelson
FTAco07
AG
The tournament setup was very different from their regular setup. They actually made the course easier and less strategic for the pros because they wanted them all to like the course. When it's running fast and the wind is blowing it can be a damn tough track.

If you do play it you're right about getting a caddie. I wouldn't wish playing that course for the first time without one on my worst enemy.
Quinn
AG
How are you getting on Trinity? Playing with a member or just as a public round? I know that they are supposed to have a certain amount of public rounds per year, but it's unclear how these rounds are arranged.

Personally, I really want to play it, but ya, $700 is a lot for one round.
FTAco07
AG
Well the $700 figure was for a twosome (and included merch purchases) so it's actually less than $350 a round.

The first round I was the guest of a Northwood member who had reciprocal privileges there when their club was closed. The second and third were Byron Nelson related including the Wednesday pro-am.
jonj101
My golfing achievements are not as accomplished as many of you on this site, but the courses I have played in that price range include: Punta Espada, Cascata, and a few others.

Everything is subjective, but its difficult for me to imagine Trinity being worth anything around $300
Yesterday
AG
I was out there for the Warrior Open which was the Monday after the tournament. I got to walk the whole course, greens etc. Don't get me wrong the course looked good and unique but it's not worth $350. You can play Pacific And Bandon Dunes for $150 right now.(granted it's a trip).
GDP
I would pass.
Mr. Crenshaw himself would tell you privately that Trinity Forest is the worst Crenshaw/Coore course they have done. They have vowed to never do a "landfill" course again.
It is different and to each his own, but I think it is NOT worth that green fee.
Old Tom Morris
Go play The Tribute and Old American. Less money, better courses, twice the golf, more fun.

TF is a train wreck that hopefully doesn't end up killing the Nelson entirely.
Quinn
AG
Why is it a train wreck? Didn't ATT put a bunch of money into the course? I would think that would keep the Byron Nelson there.
AustinCountyAg
the big name players will not show up for the tournament because of the course.
Quinn
AG
Right, they will likely continue to have issues with that. I was more curious if the "train wreck" comment was related to the course and/or it's management rather than the tournament.
Old Tom Morris
I mean the course. Design, location, the idea that holding a professional tournament on a treeless course in the heat of DFW is a good idea, even the stupid-assed name. I know ATT sunk a lot into it, but that doesn't mean players are going to keep showing to show up for it. I don't think the Nelson is going to have a very long life there.
Rubble
AG
Spyglass is $350ish...Pebble is $450-525 (depending when you play)...

Trinity forest can EAD if they want me to pay that to play on top of trash.

Pass
DallasAggie89
AG
LantanaAg said:

Pass
How do you really feel?
DadAG10
LantanaAg said:

Pass
I have no problem with any course (business) pricing their product however they want.

They obviously will either get by with the current member structure (& price) or will someday be a public venue or won't exist.

I would pass as well.
Yesterday
AG
DadAG10 said:

LantanaAg said:

Pass
I have no problem with any course (business) pricing their product however they want.

They obviously will either get by with the current member structure (& price) or will someday be a public venue or won't exist.

I would pass as well.

Except this course was partially funded via tax dollars
TheGreatScott12
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Go play The Tribute and Old American. Less money, better courses, twice the golf, more fun.

TF is a train wreck that hopefully doesn't end up killing the Nelson entirely.
That is a little ridiculous....
DadAG10
03ki11erAG said:

DadAG10 said:

LantanaAg said:

Pass

I would pass as well.

Except this course was partially funded via tax dollar
I try not to waste time worrying about wasted tax dollars, would take up way too much of my time.
Rubble
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

LantanaAg said:

Pass
How do you really feel?

I've heard it's fun and a decent track. I just can't justify spending that much on a course that's been open for a little more than a year. Watching the Byron there was awful. It looked like it was in the middle of nowhere and there weren't any people around. That course will kill the Byron, just wait.

Pebble, Spyglass, Sawgrass, etc cost that much but they have a lot of history. Why the hell does Crenshaw need to price it so high? Alot of his courses are that way. He's no better of an architect than RTJ and the like. That sip ain't getting a dime from me. The tribute is much better for a third of the price.
Prior22
AG
Hard pass. I can think of plenty of places I'd rather drop $700 than TF. Nice course but certainly not worth anywhere close to that much.
DadAG10
LantanaAg said:

Why the hell does Crenshaw need to price it so high? Alot of his courses are that way. He's no better of an architect than RTJ and the like. That sip ain't getting a dime from me.
Do you really believe the course designer has anything to do with the pricing?

Really having a hard time understanding some arguments.
jonj101
I'm not big on defending steers, but as far as I can tell Ben Crenshaw has carried himself as a great representative of Texas and the game of golf.

While I wouldn't pay what was mentioned in this thread for Trinity Forest, I have played Dormie Club in Pinehurst and I found it to be a very enjoyable track. Imo Coore and Crenshaw do great work despite their affiliation with the school in Austin.
1872walker
If you want to complain about how a developer or private club owned by a single person or by it'membership and run by a board of directors run their place, have at it.

But if you're using Trinity Forest's guest fees to take shots at one of the great players and great guys in the game of golf, you are seriously misguided.

If you want to see how Ben Crenshaw runs things when he's the decision maker on everything, visit Austin Golf Club in Spicewood. Great course, fun course, simple maintenance practices, no frills, clubhouse feels like you're in a large residence, unpretentious, non-corporate and probably the best pure golf experience in Texas. All while quite a bit less expensive than most of the other top tier clubs in the state.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

That course will kill the Byron, just wait.
No it won't. The schedule will kill the Nelson.

Most players and caddies loved the course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.