PXG for mid/high handicap player?

5,611 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jgh85Ag
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those in the know, what are your thoughts on these clubs for the average hacker?
jj9000
AG
From a performance perspective, they aren't any better than other OEMs.

I demo'd them...and they're very similar to PING i series irons.

But...if you like them...buy them.

That's all that really matters.
powerbelly
AG
I would just get fit for pings and spend the money you save on lessons
Forum Troll
AG
$400 a club vs $150 for basically any other brand? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Supposedly you can get the Gen 1 clubs for normal price these days.

I love this thread over on WRX. Can't figure out if its a troll or not.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1713566-why-i-hate-my-pxg-clubs/
BoDog
AG
What the hell justifies their asking price?
Yesterday
AG
BoDog said:

What the hell justifies their asking price?

The market.

They're very good clubs. Will they make a 20 handicap into a 10? No. No club will.
Prior22
AG
Irons are legit and were roughly 7 yards longer than my Apex Pro during testing. Many will balk at the price, but the technology is pretty impressive.

Driver and fairway leave much to be desired. Hybrid was really good when I tested, but I'm not a hybrid go so I didn't pick one up. At this point, I'd consider irons and pass on the woods. To each their own, though.
JR Ewingford
The 2nd generation SGI PXG 2 are ugly, huge but are outstanding performers. Yes, I play them as well.
EKUAg
AG
1st Gen half off for active and retired military and first responders
jackie childs
Prior22 said:

Irons are legit and were roughly 7 yards longer than my Apex Pro during testing. Many will balk at the price, but the technology is pretty impressive.

Driver and fairway leave much to be desired. Hybrid was really good when I tested, but I'm not a hybrid go so I didn't pick one up. At this point, I'd consider irons and pass on the woods. To each their own, though.
i've heard this same opinion from several people now
jj9000
AG
Prior22 said:

Irons are legit and were roughly 7 yards longer than my Apex Pro during testing.
0311 vs Apex Pro '16?

0311 have 3* stronger lofts than the Apex Pro '16 in the 4-8 iron...2* on the 9 iron

Or, roughly a full club longer throughout the bag...and 1/2 club longer on the 9 iron.

Mr.Bond
AG
jj9000 said:

Prior22 said:

Irons are legit and were roughly 7 yards longer than my Apex Pro during testing.
0311 vs Apex Pro '16?

0311 have 3* stronger lofts than the Apex Pro '16 in the 4-8 iron...2* on the 9 iron

Or, roughly a full club longer throughout the bag...and 1/2 club longer on the 9 iron.

This. Folks really need to look at specs on clubs. If I play a 34 degree blade 7 iron and you play a 29 degree GI 7 iron...... Well obviously you're going to hit it further than I do more often than not.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Prior22
AG
Yeah, except that's not what I did. I went to a fitter who works with a bunch of Tour pros in my local area and had him get the lofts exactly the same between a set of 0311T Gen2's and my Apex Pro. I already play my Apex a degree strong, so it was essentially moving the PXG 1 degree weak across the board. It was an apples to apples comparison with lofts. But I understand what you're saying. I just spend way too much time buying new gear that I think about this kind of stuff before testing against my gamer set.
jgh85Ag
AG
When I got fitted last year, they said the PXGs were great but they also wore out quicker than regular irons.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.