DFW Public Courses

2,577 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 5C
Hooti Hound Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs on some solid public courses in the area that may not always be on top during a google search? We pretty regularly play:

Stevens Park
Tennison (both)
Sherril Park
Brickyard (hate this course with all my heart)
Firewheel (both)
Keeton Park (best value on earth)

Anything I need to check out? We don't mind a little drive either so can really be anywhere in the metroplex.
powerbelly
AG
I like Golf Club of Dallas (former Oak Cliff CC). It is usually in good shape and doesn't get too crowded.
Hooti Hound Ag
AG
Thanks for the rec - haven't been and will def check it out. You're still wrong about Chad though.
LHIOB
AG
Westridge is fun - only 6-6-6 course in Texas
Indian Creeks (Creeks) is my fav public course in DFW
Quinn
AG
Rockwood in Fort Worth is pretty good.
schwabbin
AG
Pecan Hollow has the best muni greens in DFW and a fun course since the redo. But can often make for 4+ hr round. Westridge is a fun setup and usually in good shape. Grapevine is great too. They've got 27 on a nice track with a lot of elevation for the area.
Brenner
AG
I think Grand Oaks just reopened, I remember that course being pretty solid. Also, you should have Cedar Crest in your rotation if you're playing all the Dallas munis. It's in a terrible part of town, but a really good value (similar to Keeton).
Yesterday
AG
Tangle Ridge
mavsfan4ever
AG
Frisco trails and frisco lakes are pretty far but they've always been in good shape when I've played it. Haven't been in a couple years.

Buffalo creek in rockwall is also good.

Bear creek is decent but always seems to be really crowded.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I believe High Meadow Ranch is 6-6-6: http://www.highmeadowranchgolf.com/-course-overview
REMARCH11
AG
Hop in the car and go to Sugar Tree!!! Its 100% worth the drive.
God,....I really hate the sips!
LHIOB
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Frisco trails and frisco lakes are pretty far but they've always been in good shape when I've played it. Haven't been in a couple years.

Love Frisco Lakes, Frisco Trails has too many dumb holes.
LHIOB
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

I believe High Meadow Ranch is 6-6-6: http://www.highmeadowranchgolf.com/-course-overview

Well, then I guess Im an idiot
DadAG10
Not the same 6-6-6.

6-Par 3's
6-Par 4's
6-Par 5's

at Westridge
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
It's way out there but, Heritage Ranch in Fairview is one of my favorites. Pretty fast rounds too.

Does Squaw Valley in Glen Rose count? Both of those courses are pretty great.

Canyon West outside of Weatherford is fun as well, though seems like the conditions have gone down hill in the last few years.
investorAg83
AG
LHIOB said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Love Frisco Lakes, Frisco Trails has too many dumb holes.

Played trails yesterday. Agree with the dumb designs but the course itself was in good shape.
jgh85Ag
AG
Hawks Creek. It can get a bit noisy from the sounds of freedom from Carswell next door.
khaos288
AG
Indian creek creeks
Westridge
Ridge view ranch
Grapevine municipal
Hawks creek
Bridges at gunter
(Bit of a drive) squaw valley.
Mansfield national
Iron horse

I could play those for the rest of my life and be a happy man.
_lefraud_
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

It's way out there but, Heritage Ranch in Fairview is one of my favorites. Pretty fast rounds too.

Does Squaw Valley in Glen Rose count? Both of those courses are pretty great.

Canyon West outside of Weatherford is fun as well, though seems like the conditions have gone down hill in the last few years.

Squaw Valley is still great. Canyons West, not so much. As someone posted above, drive out to Sugar Tree in Lipan/Brock. Split Rail in Aledo can be a fun track as well. Cant go wrong with Hawk's Creek either.
agsalaska
AG
Another vote for Sugar Tree. One of the most natural layouts I have ever played.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Easy 8
Tierra Verde in Arlington is a nice layout. Haven't been there in a while so I can't speak to the current conditions.
turfaggie24
AG
Sugar Tree
CoppellAg93
AG
Haven't played it in a few years, but my favorite course in DFW is still Tangle Ridge down near Joe Pool lake. Great course at a decent price.
Sueshade10
AG
It's a drive but best course to play with no one on it is the Bridges in Gunter.... you can play a 3 hour round on Sunday morning and it's a nice track.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm surprised Coyote Ridge hasn't been mentioned. It may be my favorite public in DFW.
5C
AG
Cross Timbers is a pretty cool track
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.