Doak to Renovate Memorial Park

23,023 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by E
G-Town Cracker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://thefriedegg.com/memorial-park-renovation/
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Holy crap that's amazing.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure if this is good news or not.

Pretty cool but I imagine it's gonna get even harder (if that's possible) to get on at Memorial.

And I wonder where all the traffic will go during the redo? Gus maybe
Deluxe
AG
That's amazing
zebco
Awesome. I saw him post a pic from IAH this summer and asked if he was planning something, but figured he was probably just connecting flights
BarryProfit
My understanding is the range will be a double decker.

This is great news.
BarryProfit
Quinn
AG

Wouldn't have guessed Koepka.
Tom Hagen
AG
BarryProfit said:

My understanding is the range will be a double decker.

This is great news.
Still with mats?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Quote:

Pretty cool but I imagine it's gonna get even harder (if that's possible) to get on at Memorial
Green fee will surely be materially higher, so might offset this issue a bit.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Yeah i would guess you'll be looking at $89-$99 and a discounted rate for monthly/annual membership dues.
jonj101
Im now cautiously optimistic. I still think parking and logistics will be a nightmare for a tour event there, at the same time having a muni that is good enough to host a Tour Event would be great overall for the COH - although those of us who want to get on will probably find it even harder.

I don't see the tournament course lasting long after the move is made though.
Ag_07
AG
So according to the website here's the latest along with schedule...

Total of $13.5M raised by the Astros Golf Foundation

Jan 6 - Last day of play at Memorial
Jan 7 - Construction begins pending City Council approval of plan
Oct 2019 - Reopening of newly renovated Memorial Park Golf Course
Oct 2020 - Houston Open at Memorial Park Golf Course
AustinCountyAg
10 months from closing it down until reopening??? Awfully optimistic.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Interesting project, but yeah, that timeline is super friggin aggressive if they have plans of doing much at all to it.
E
AG
Apparently there is a PGA rule where a course has to be open for 1 year before playing a tournament on it. Thats why it needs to be done by october.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Will the range stay open during construction? I need something to do during lunch.

If Koepka is consulting, probably a good shot he plays here, no?
The Milkman
AG
Approved by the city today... think the course closes tomorrow.
jja79
AG
Don't remember which one but a legitimate golf course architect appeared before the council questioning the timeline and so forth.

Ok, found the quote.

Baxter Spann of the golf course architecture firm Finger Dye Spann, which oversaw a 1996 renovation of Memorial Park, questioned the feasibility of the timeline for the project, which he said was being conducted with "extreme haste" and in a "clandestine" manner.

"I'm not against renovating (the course)," Spann said. " What I am against is the process that I see unfolding to facilitate this project."
Swollen Thumb
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Will the range stay open during construction? I need something to do during lunch.

Curious about this too....does anyone know?
terradactylexpress
According to the website the practice facility and clubhouse will still be open
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I spoke with the pro shop two weekends ago and they said the range will remain open for 95% of the renovation. They said it makes way too much $$$$ to close it.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/tom-doak-embraces-his-first-opportunity-to-create-a-pga-tour-course

Some interesting details here, including potential changes to specific holes.
98Ag99Grad
AG
adotsloan said:

I spoke with the pro shop two weekends ago and they said the range will remain open for 95% of the renovation. They said it makes way too much $$$$ to close it.

Good to hear.
Mr.Bond
AG
They seem to be taking the Torrey approach on rates. I'll be interested to see how they Define "local" for the rates. Houston is a lot different than many other cities as far as how spread out we are. I'm not sure it's fair to charge one guy from Pearland twice as much as you're charging somebody that lives in Clear Lake which is considered Houston.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

terradactylexpress
Thank God they are changing 15, I ****ing hate that lake
Mr.Bond
AG
I never minded 15. I'm disappointed they're changing #6, was my favorite hole on the course
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Hotdog Hamblin
AG
I always thought the fountain on 6 was a pretty cool, old school feature. 4, 5, and 6 was definitely my favorite stretch on the course.
Ag_07
AG
It'll be cool to see the ravines on the front 9 come into play.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hotdog Hamblin said:

I always thought the fountain on 6 was a pretty cool, old school feature. 4, 5, and 6 was definitely my favorite stretch on the course.

Yup agreed

jonj101
Wish I would've got out there to play the layout one last time before the renovation.
The D
AG
Absolutely hate hole 6. My favorite holes would be 7, 12 and 14
bagger05
AG
Quote:

As for the practice facilities, that work will come later, but included in the proposal is a two-tier lighted driving range that will increase from 54 to 80 stalls.

Driving range definitely needed an expansion.
ElCheAg
AG
Practicing off mats is better than no practice (for some), but good gawd when I have (a handful of times in my life) it's done me more harm than good.
bagger05
AG
I'm not as big of a mat-hater as some. Grass ranges are great (and way better than mats) as long as they're very well maintained. A lot of ranges I've been to are REALLY sandy so the ground is soft and I don't feel that's a good simulation for the turf interaction you get on the fairway.

I rank it:

- Good grass range
- Mat
- Sandy grass range
- Hitting into a net

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.