Welp, it happened...

5,874 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Red Fishing Ag93
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
played in a company tournament where the group in front of us was the last to get back to the clubhouse and magically won by 1 stroke. We watched them make at least double on two holes yet turned in birdies on both. They also teed off of the same hole we did, so there was no reason for them to come in as late as they did. We were getting ready to send out search parties because the food was nearly gone late
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
My absolute favorite, and it's happened at least twice now, is when a team turns in a score that wins by 4 or more strokes and is pretty suspicious looking, then goes up and guiltily DQs themselves.
HouAggie
AG
I think a major issue also at play here is that most scramble golfers don't realize how low 4 scratch or plus hdcp golfers can go, so they automatically assume cheating. If you get four golfers of that level playing in a typical scramble from the one or two up tee boxes, they're definitely going to expect to at least be mid 50s and probably low 50s if they make a couple unexpected putts.
Duckhook
AG
HouAggie said:

I think a major issue also at play here is that most scramble golfers don't realize how low 4 scratch or plus hdcp golfers can go, so they automatically assume cheating. If you get four golfers of that level playing in a typical scramble from the one or two up tee boxes, they're definitely going to expect to at least be mid 50s and probably low 50s if they make a couple unexpected putts.

This is true. I've shot - 19 on a team of 2 A players and two good B players. The eyebrows get raised when it's a real mixture of handicaps/abilities, which we've all seen.
agfan2013
AG
Just played in the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra charity tournament out at Pebble Creek here in C/S earlier this month. Team that won it turned in a "48". Supposedly one guy on the team did play golf at SMU, but none of the others did. 2 mulligans per player, only one hole to buy a closer tee box, no string. Call me skeptical........

Closest scores after that included two teams turning in 54s and then nothing lower than 58 after that. But like others have said, I just laughed and enjoyed a free day out of the office with lots of good food and drinks.
oldschool87
AG
I don't get it... If you cheat and win, how does that feel???

I have always thought it would be a good idea at a company scramble to take the girls in golf carts driving around laughing and basically doing nothing, and let them be the scorers. Can't be that hard. Count strokes, turn in mulligan tickets, right the score down. No putting till it goes in, no putting unannounced and when it goes in saying that's my mulligan!

To the poster that said, you don't understand how low a good golfer can go with help. I agree, have done so. But at the end of the day, someone still has to hit close, and the putt still has to go on. There will be a few holes where that simply does not happen. Your not making 4 eagles.

Kudo's for the guy calling out his boss!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Quote:

I have always thought it would be a good idea at a company scramble to take the girls in golf carts driving around laughing and basically doing nothing, and let them be the scorers.
I play in a scramble every year that is a 4some plus a Veteran plus a cart girl to keep score.
No mulligans, no string, nothing, except you can buy a long drive from a World Long Drive guy on one of the holes (everyone does).
Coincidentally, it has the most honest scores and is one of the most fun events I play in.
sellthefarm
AG
Ag_07 said:

In any scramble I play in there is a cap of bogey for every hole.

While that may not be cheating it's certainly not within the rules of golf.

I play in 3 per year and they all use par max
Boo Weekley
98Ag99Grad said:

42?? Hows that even possible?
42? LOL!
Mateo84
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

42?? Hows that even possible?

The 42 probably wasn't legit, but they made a 1 on a par 5. So you could pay to start at 225 out instead of 500, then one of the guys knocked it close from there and used some sort of gimme hand wedge or string or something to count the shot from the fairway as holed out. Not sure how the remaining 26 strokes under par were made.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

The 42 probably wasn't legit
LOL, yeah figured that. I've never played in a scramble with the string. I have done the pay for the long drive thing where you start from 200 yards out on a par 5 like you described. but 42? Try to be a little discreet!
HouAggie
AG
oldschool87 said:

Your not making 4 eagles.

Of course you are. Probably snag one on a par4 and then 3 out of 4 par5s. You're rarely, if ever, playing from the tips in a charity scramble, so most par5s are being approached with a mid to short iron. And if there is a Tiger drive, mulligans, and string involved...4 eagles is likely a very conservative guess.
The Milkman
AG
As someone who has put on ~15 different tournaments for charities, I can tell you that the integrity of the scores and who wins is at the absolute bottom of the list of importance for the organizers. No one remembers that. They want a nice giveaway, free beer, and a good dinner.

Everyone is there on the company dollar and enjoying a day not in the office.
79TAMU79
AG
When we play in scrambles, we appreciate playing great courses, food, drinks, raffles and drawings for quality prizes - it tends to even out the fun!

Except one time we had multiple raffles by different vendors, the same guy (critical client) won three "random drawings" out of a possible 200 tickets... even drawings can be rigged at times. We just chuckled and enjoyed the event.
big ben
AG
Just enjoy paid golf during a workday, paid drinks, and free raffles. Won a yeti cooler last week out of the blue at a tourney.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My favorite aspect of scrambles is when I get the chance to play a course I normally don't. Certain country club courses would be the main ones, but something like Cowboys is another. I've played more scrambles than regular rounds at Cowboys.

Again, the cheating doesn't really bug me although I don't want my name on it. As far as prizes go, I've always thought the best way to go was something fairly token for the actual "winners", and then give the good stuff away via other means, whether it's random drawing or some other way to win that isn't subject to cheating.
_lefraud_
AG
My favorite tournament each year is a 2 man, 2 day scramble with a blind flight. So everyone plays 36 holes over the 2 days, and then the field is flighted based on scores. You can purchase mulligans, but none of the other nonsense.

They payout the top 3 for each flight, and then the last place team of each flight gets a SOL prize.

There is no reason to cheat, or really no way to cheat as you are paired with another group.
JR Ewingford
Me, Mark Brooks and 2 other friends played in a charity event last year. We still lost by 3. Sure. Nuff said.
RigsTx
AG
I've always thought it would be worthwhile to take the top 3 scores in scrambles like this and have them go play a 3 hole aggregate playoff to determine first, second, third.

It would be interesting to see if that didn't cut out some of the cheating because you are going to have to go prove it on the course. I know in most cases that it isn't feasible to do, but I still think it would be fun to watch guys who shot 19 under struggle to make a par.
HouAggie
AG
EwingBarnes said:

Me, Mark Brooks and 2 other friends played in a charity event last year. We still lost by 3. Sure. Nuff said.

Sounds like a 1man scramble. What did y'all shoot?
JR Ewingford
HouAggie said:

EwingBarnes said:

Sounds like a 1man scramble. What did y'all shoot?
Think we shot -15, that was with all scratch players as well. Guess we just sucked!
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Always just assumed it was pure cheating until I was on a team that shot a legit 52. 2 below scratch golfers, a sub-5 guy, and me (at about a 10 at the time). Had a legit hole in 1 (one of the scratch guys and we had a witness), a gimmick hole in one (charity hole with a 5-ft radius hole for the tee shot only, I put my tee shot 18 inches from the hole), eagled all the par 5's including one with a 30-footer, 8 birdies, and 4 pars. Having two guys with hot putters helped a ton as we made 4 putts from outside 30-feet. Outside that round, never been on a team lower than a 61.
Wildcat
AG
Am I the only one that absolutely hates playing in scrambles?

I do it because it is expected. And since I am not a complete hack, I get asked to play in them often. So then I am paying anywhere from $75-$150 bucks (you know, for the kids) to play a sheety round of tricked-up golf with tape and mulligans and that one guy on a mission to drink as much company beer as humanly possible in 18 holes.

Now I don't mind the couples scramble. It's 9 holes after work with the wife during the long days of summer. Walking required; drinks afterwards.

raidernarizona
You're doing it wrong! I'm sure you've played in a ton more scrambles than I have but I have never paid. My company or a friend's has and that is what makes them enjoyable. Like others have said, free golf on a good golf course and you get to miss a Monday at work. What's not to like?
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Always just assumed it was pure cheating until I was on a team that shot a legit 52. 2 below scratch golfers, a sub-5 guy, and me (at about a 10 at the time).
I wouldn't assume cheating if I knew the team was comprised of WAY better than your average scramble participant. Especially if a group that talented is given other perks like mulligans and strings for putts.

It's when four average golfers (10 - 20 hc types) turn in sub 60 rounds that I know damn well they cheated.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Lying and cheating should always be turned in. Seriously. The cheater thinks he deserves it, whatever shallow worthless material it may be, that much more than your fellow man? So much wasted time and energy in the world today because of all the lies we chase around. Win the game fair and square or quit playing.
/end of "this world is going to hell" rant
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.