Gus Wortham Restoration

2,255 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by K Bo
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the Gus Wortham restoration is complete and they're open for play this weekend. They dumped 7.7 M into it over the past year or two. I've got a tee time Sunday. Still quite a few times available all weekend.

Interested to see how it all turned out. I played the course multiple times in high school for district tourneys and it was pretty rough. Always liked the track but it had gone down hill condition wise.

I didn't realize this was an HGA take over and not funded by the city. I thought COH was footing the bill and it was still a city course.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I need to plan an outing to go play. When my friends and I all lived closer to downtown it was always Hugh on our list due to price, convenience and I always loved the layout. Also a good course if you don't mind duffing around and having a beer or 7
jonj101
Didn't realize they were complete. Unfortunately I tweaked my knee so I'll have to wait to check it out, but I'm very interested to hear and see how the course turned out.

I still think the only bad thing about the whole deal was the sacrificing of Glenbrook for a botanical garden. While the conditioning of Glenbrook was terrible, it was a pretty fun layout imo.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Played it. They did an awesome job. Not all planned improvements are completed (facilities etc), but the course and cart path are all finished and it is in great shape. Really fun course. Would highly recommend checking it out.
jonj101
Good deal - I plan on checking it out soon.

Quick question, idk if you played Glenbrook back before it closed, but I considered it a more fun layout than Gus Wortham prior to the restoration.

Now that it is restored, would you say that it was worth sacrificing Glenbrook for it? I know the maintenance of both of the courses had declined for years, but I just dont see much value in Glenbrook becoming a botanical garden.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think losing Glenbrook and restoration of Gus are related.

I also thought Gelnbrook layout was horrible. There were quirky holes that didn't fit on the property. I just didn't like it all.

The layout at the new Gus Wortham is great. They did a really good job. It's pretty short but they protected some of the greens with some bunkers and elevations that make for some tough approach shots.

I have some pictures I'll post when I can get them up.
jonj101
I'll have to google it, but I thought the agreement came down to Glenbrook being sacrificed for a botanical garden, that some folks initially wanted to do at Gus Wortham prior to the restoration being confirmed.

While there were some holes sandwiched on the Glenbrook property, hitting multiple times over the bayou as well as a few of those bending holes were fun imo - but courses are subjective.

When you get a chance post the pics - I'm also curious as to who was hired to do the restoration.
Ag_07
AG
Here ya go.

Again I think they did a great job. The elevation changes are really nice (especially when you get back along the bayou), the greens have some interesting undulation, and some of the shorter holes are protected with tough approach shots.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Any major changed to any of the holes?
McGibblets
AG
I played there Saturday morning. Course was in excellent shape, and the cart paths are miles better than what they used to be. Super fun course, but it kicked my ass
jonj101
Good pics - thanks for sharing.

From the looks of it I'd say its a course that could be in my Houston rotation.
gigemJTH12
AG
playing tomorrow for the first time
E
AG
You'll enjoy it, the course is in great shape!

It is very walkable if you get there early enough to beat the heat. They don't have water on the course and pro shop is slow, so bring your own water or refreshments.
Ag_07
AG
There's also no beverages so no harm in packing a couple ones down deep in the bag.
K Bo
AG
or just throwing a cooler in the cart. We carry bags + coolers or pack a cooler in the cart all the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.