Tempest Golf Club in Gladewater

3,579 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FirefightAg
Pignorant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone played this course yet?

I believe it just opened a few weeks ago. They completely renovated the old Shallow Creek course in Gladewater and reopened it as Tempest.

Looks pretty nice from what I can tell.

http://www.tempestgolfclub.com/
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
interesting...will have to try and play it on my next trip to ETX.
tamu2009
AG
My dad is a member. Playing it Saturday morning. Buddy helped on the Reno. I've heard nothing but GREAT things especially with all the rain we've gotten.

It isn't complete yet, the range is still under construction and I think the amenities around the clubhouse have some work left but the course is up and running.

They're going to take A LOT of members away from Pam Forrest and Pinecrest in Longview and wouldn't be surprised if they pull some from Tyler.

Can't wait to play it Saturday. Will report back.
Pignorant
AG
Thanks!
turfaggie24
tamu2009
AG
Ended up playing today with Dad, too.

Long story short, this course is going to be fantastic. The layout is great and it was redone by the guy who did Cowboys club. The elevation change on the holes are fantastic.

The long of it, you can tell it's only been open a week or 2. The first couple of tee boxes are still a little rough. A few of the greens haven't come in quite well and the rain we've gotten ruined a green or 2. The greens that they put in first are pretty solid and a few of the newer greens are shaky. I loved the layout. A bunch of fun holes. Some risk reward and some that dictate what you have to hit. The par 3s were similar yardage and most played downhill so they sound similar but I didn't feel like I was playing the same hole over and over.

This course is going to be great in a year or 2 when it fills in and matures. They did a great job with the renovation.
Pignorant
AG
Appreciate the update!

The green fees don't look outrageous either.
BMach
AG
Talked to a buddy that played it, said without a doubt it's going to be the nicest course in east Texas. It's definitely going to hurt Pinecrest.
Seriously77
Isn't Pinecrest on the east side of Longview?

I played the Gladewater track in early 80's and it was nothing to speak about. Hard to believe it would be better than Holly Tree in Tyler.
BMach
AG
Yes, just east of Eastman rd
T-Woody2014
AG
Agreed, my Dad just left Pinecrest after almost 20 years of membership and is going to join Tempest. Looking forward to playing there with him
turfaggie24
AG
Had heard good things about Pinecrest but a mixed bag about Tempest. Interested to see what becomes the trend.
FirefightAg
AG
Played it on Thursday and the wind blew 20 plus we had a group of 12 some had played it before some had not. The wind made it last than desirable but it was overall very good.
As mentioned it's still growing and coming in but when it does it will be great. It's a good replacement for twin lakes since it closed. They are still developing the stay and play it looks like. Hope it can stick around.
If you like pine dunes twin lakes links at lands end you'll like this
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.