TPC San Antonio Oaks and Canyon Courses

1,045 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Searched the forum but everything seems to be from 3+ years ago. Have a group of 12 guys taking a trip out there in a couple weeks. Any tips? From what I've read, seems to be a pretty difficult course. Probably not a good thing that I haven't swung a club in 2 months...
jja79
AG
I prefer the canyons but then again I'm not that good. Great trip though.
AustinCountyAg
I've never played there but I just want to add that I did play the old PGA course at La Cantera recently and enjoyed it very much...esp the $40 price on teeoff.com....It was one of the better courses in the state imo, especially for the price. they recently remodeled the resort and golf shop and everything is very classy.
robrye9
On a typical day, one course is open for members, and the other for the public. I've played both multiple times. Canyons is easier and more fun for the average golfer, Oaks is difficult but fair. They also close Oaks around this time to start preparing for the tourney, so you may want to check to see if it is open for your trip. As AustinCountyAg stated, the La Cantera courses are also nice.
fcag11
The canyons course is much more player friendly. Depending on the skill set of your group, a round at the oaks can make for a long afternoon if you don't bring your A game.
bjh19
AG
And 20 golf balls...depending on your handicap. Played them both and canyons much more enjoyable.
RikHaze
AG
I agree with that Canyons is the easier of the two.

Oaks is difficult and lost balls are the norm for sure. I would recommend playing up a tee box when you guys end up there. I play it quite a bit since I'm a member there and when the Oaks is the members course and I don't want to grind out a tough round I like to play up.

If you're playing soon the course will be in great shape. The member guest is this week.
Aggie1391
Thanks for the tips. Everyone is in the 6-14 handicap range but I'll make sure to bring lots of balls since I can't count on the A game part.
Aggie369
AG
Played oaks in july... hard but fair. Loved the course

La Canterra doesnt come close in my opinion when comparing to the Oaks course
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Played both, personally like the oaks more
Matsui
AG
Oaks is really tough
Canyons is a tad more open

They are both fun and exhausting tracks. You can't go wrong.
Aggie1391
How much should I expect each round to cost? We are playing 2 rounds each day so can I assume a slight discount on the second round?
jja79
AG
I assume you're staying there. I believe you have to be a member or hotel guest.
Obi Wan Ginobili
You don't have to be staying there to play either course.
jja79
AG
Ok. I've stayed there for a week every year since they opened and I've seen several people turned away when they weren't staying there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.