Help me spend some money

1,603 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by antman8504
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basically it's my birthday and I want to buy something golf related.

My thoughts are...

Maybe a 5 wood. I generally hit my 3w at 240 targets and my driving iron at 220 and in targets. I could throw a 5 wood in there and de loft my driving iron a little and start a 240-220-205 type gapping at the top.

Other than that I can't think of a club I could use. You guys have any ideas for things to spend a few bucks on? I thought about maybe a putting cup and indoor green or something for the office. I don't know, just got the bug and an opportunity to spend a little.
Mr.Bond
AG
If your setup is fine then quit ****ing with it. Buy an indoor green from big moss or treat yourself to a high end public course. That's my recommendation
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

khaos288
AG
Well my thought is I like my 5i at 200 targets and my driving iron at 220. But I NEVER hit my 4i at anything in between. And my home course has a couple of those shots usually
Mr.Bond
AG
You change bag setups like underwear kemosabe
How do you establish any type of consistency
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
khaos288 said:

Well my thought is I like my 5i at 200 targets and my driving iron at 220. But I NEVER hit my 4i at anything in between. And my home course has a couple of those shots usually
Why? You can pick a 5i and a driving iron but not a 4?
khaos288
AG
Haha I've had driver, 3w, driving iron, 4-gw, with a sw and lw for about 3 months. I literally can count the times I've used my 4i on one hand bc I just don't like it.

I used to carry a 5 wood, and that's the only reason I'm considering it. It wouldn't shake my bag up much at all, save a few approach shots at 200-230 out.

Incremental changes only after lots of data collecting.

Or just whenever
khaos288
AG
No idea why, but I just can't hit my 4i like I can my five. The driving iron is wide soled and hollow so it's more like a hybrid.

It's just past the length to size ratio that I can get along with.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
khaos288 said:

No idea why, but I just can't hit my 4i like I can my five. The driving iron is wide soled and hollow so it's more like a hybrid.

I'm too stubborn to do it, but I've heard it said more than once, if you have no confidence in the club, dump it.

I've always carried a 5W. Very versatile, IMO. I can hit it from 215-250+, depending. Great from the tee when you have a tight fairway/dogleg that doesn't require too much distance.

If you like the driving iron and you're really looking for gapping, maybe adding a hybrid would make the most sense.
khaos288
AG
My thoughts exactly. I literally pulled my 4 iron to test a hybrid on the range a week ago, and didn't notice I hadn't put it back in.

I think I may grab the 5w and turn my driving iron up a few degrees and see if it settles in the gap. Worst case scenario I'll give someone on here a sweet deal on it
jj9000
AG
Mr.Bond said:

You change bag setups like underwear kemosabe
How do you establish any type of consistency

I agree with you on this one, Bond.

Dude changes his **** out way too much.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
At least it's at the top and not in the scoring clubs.
khaos288
AG
BigHitterDaLama
khaos288 said:

How many 205 to 215 targets/approaches do you have man? Geesh, that range should be the least of your worries.

Go play a few stellar courses with the cash.
khaos288
AG
Yeah that feels like the best option. Hard to justify a full club purchase for maybe a shot or two a round.
AustinCountyAg
New putter orbweekend golf trip
antman8504
AG
khaos288 said:

the 4 iron in my set used to be the same way. Wasn't even in the bag because I just couldn't hit it well consistently. I decided to order a graphite high launch shaft for it and it really made the club easier to hit for me. I really enjoy it now. My current irons have true tempers xp115s (weight about 110 raw, I think) and the new shaft for the 4 iron is sub 100 grams. For reference, my 5i distance is about 190-195.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.