Woods - What am I doing wrong?

2,272 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by REMARCH11
STX Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just started playing again after almost 20 years of not playing. When I first started hitting balls again, my irons were sporadic, at best, but I was hitting a 5 and 3 wood beautifully....200+ with a very slight fade.

Fast forward a couple months and my irons have really come around. I'm hitting them consistently well from the PW down to the 3. In my second round since picking the sticks up again, I shot 97 today without pulling a wood from the bag, cuz they've gone to ***** All my shots with woods are now 1 of 2 things: 1) a grounder that goes left for about 50 yards or 2) a low snap hook that doesnt go far bc its so low.

I've tried everything I can think of to get them back with no success.

What might I be doing wrong golf board?
tlfw378
AG
Have you seen a teaching pro?
STX Ag
AG
No. I know I should, but trying to do this without having to pay someone (I know it doesnt cost that much).

I'm not sure how long this foray back into the sport will last, so I'm trying not to get too invested.
Forum Troll
AG
Coming into impact with shut face. Many reasons.

Longer clubs with ball forward positions tend to get people to have shoulders aiming left and overly strong right hand grips that end up under the club too much.

Could have arms trailing lower body and flipping/casting into impact in an effort for arms to catch up.

Your swing path could be too far out to in (left).

I'd check right hand grip and shoulder alignment first. The other stuff will require video and/or instructor.
Icecream_Ag
S
Let's see if I can get all the TexAgs questions

Breathing in or out during swing
Pushing or pulling on the downswing
Finishing low or high
How many beers before playing
How many beers during round
Where's our front back and side angle video
STX Ag
AG
Forum Troll said:

Coming into impact with shut face. Many reasons.

Longer clubs with ball forward positions tend to get people to have shoulders aiming left and overly strong right hand grips that end up under the club too much.

Could have arms trailing lower body and flipping/casting into impact in an effort for arms to catch up.

Your swing path could be too far out to in (left).

I'd check right hand grip and shoulder alignment first. The other stuff will require video and/or instructor.
I know the first sentence is true cuz I can see it. Cant figure out what. I dont think I've changed my grip.
jj9000
AG
STX Ag said:

Not buying new clubs after the first few bad swings.

I know a guy that does that...and it works.

Until it doesn't.
Texmid
AG
Take all the change out of your left pocket and put it in your right pocket....

Seriously, what happens if you open your stance, open the club face when you address the ball, and then try to hit a slice? If I'm hitting ducks I can do that and hit them straight.
AggieDruggist89
AG
It's always the LOFT issue....
cjsag94
AG
Not getting weight shifted back toward front foot as you rotate through the swing?

Irons are working because they are farther back in your stance and hitting down, making contact before start closing/pulling... but with woods, need to sweep them a little more...and make sure you get weight back out front so you are notpulling or closing the face, and you hit it square.
STX Ag
AG
Haven't tried it but I will.
STX Ag
AG
Don't think so. I play my irons at the very front of my stance and actually hit up on them. Rarely take a divot.
AggieDruggist89
AG
STX Ag said:

Don't think so. I play my irons at the very front of my stance and actually hit up on them. Rarely take a divot.

Do you thin your irons? Not sure how you can hit up on a ball that's not teed up.

Have you tried to tee the ball up really high for your driver? In last 20 years, drivers have become much larger with a deeper face. Tee the f@@@er up high and swing hard.
STX Ag
AG
Have tried it. Hit under it.

Maybe it's just time for a driving iron.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Typically grounders result from hitting the ball low on the club face which could result from your spine angle change during swing.. Upper body is rising. Keep your head position steady until ball impact.

AggieDruggist89
AG
STX Ag said:

Have tried it. Hit under it.

Well, that's not a worm burner..
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Typically grounders result from hitting the ball low on the club face which could result from your spine angle change during swing.. Upper body is rising. Keep your head position steady until ball impact.

What I have seen along those lines is the tee shot hitting turf 6 inches in front of the tee and then skidding down the "fairway ". Albeit maybe short of the ladies tee
AG
jj9000 said:

STX Ag said:

Not buying new clubs after the first few bad swings.

I know a guy that does that...and it works.

Until it doesn't.
Sometimes you gotta buy new clubs after you're fairly certain you've used all the good shots in them.

Just in case...
5C
AG
You are probably hittin the ball on a downward trajectory - especially if you have been working on your irons
AggBock
AG
I had the same issue. I know what it is.

The issue is your setup. Your right arm is higher than your left. Square your hips and suck the right arm to your body. Then swing from there. Please check back with me.
Seriously77
Stand straight about a foot from a wall, back facing wall.
Feet wider than shoulders and weight on the inside of your feet. Knees slightly bent, place arms cross your chest and bend at the waist until your butt touches the wall. Your chess out and your chin up, rotate your shoulders around your spin as one side of your butt stays in constant contact with the wall on the back swing and on the follow thru.
When you are not sweeping your woods off the turf like a good little golfer, chances are your posture needs work.

rononeill
When I get the hooks, it's usually a flying right elbow.
cjsag94
AG
This thread is a perfect illustration of the comedy of golf...and the reason there's an F Golf thread!

You've gotten every explanation possible...a little sarcasm...and most serious answers have a direct contradiction as top someone else's idea what is wrong.

At some point, just gotta see a coach, video lagoon, something to see your exact issue.
STX Ag
AG
**** Golf.
REMARCH11
AG
Yeah....I know a guy like that too!!!
God,....I really hate the sips!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.