Back in BCS. Playing the old campus course tomorrow morning.

3,431 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GCP12
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flew in for the game between my Cats and Ags. My son and I have a tee time in the morning. I understand they completely renovated the old campus course from the dog track it was when I was in school.

Anyone know how it is playing?

Do they have a range now?
khaos288
AG
Excellent shape. Has a range.
Wildcat
AG
Thanks.
1872walker
Be prepared for a very long round depending on when your tee time is.

I played there on the day of a Super Regional a few years ago. Hour and a half in we were backed up on the 4th tee ( par 3) and walked off the course.

Course itself is very nice but a lot of the areas of rough are thin on grass.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Agree, times can be a beating. Played a Thursday morning during baseball season. Brother and I were first out with a fivesome behind us. When we walked off 18, they had just made the turn. Luckily, they weren't letting anyone they backed up play through, so we never felt rushed.

Since its a Saturday, I don't think you will run into that issue.
Ag_07
AG
Greens are usually pretty slick.

Great track nowadays!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Saw a bunch of your UK folks getting ready to tee off at Traditions at 1pm

95% humidity and 90-92 degrees

Cart path/90 degree throughout
AG
1872walker said:

Be prepared for a very long round depending on when your tee time is.

I played there on the day of a Super Regional a few years ago. Hour and a half in we were backed up on the 4th tee ( par 3) and walked off the course.

Course itself is very nice but a lot of the areas of rough are thin on grass.
Should be in great shape. We have had a lot of rain recently but the last few days have been sunny so should be nice.

If you were backed up on #4 you were playing before the renovation #4 is now a driveable par 4.

Hopefully there will be marshal's out tomorrow to help with the pace of play.
Matsui
AG
How'd it go?
snowaggie
Beautiful Springtimes and $4.00 greens fees probably lowered my gpa a full point on that course.
PA24
AG
Great memories back in the 80s playing that course. Every Friday afternoon Keith K, and I played a very competitive round of golf, walked cause we were both broke.

Those were the days.
KidDoc
AG
I like the course but the 8 minute tee times guarantee a back up on weekends.

But I am playing it Wednesday afternoon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
KidDoc said:

I like the course but the 8 minute tee times guarantee a back up on weekends.

But I am playing it Wednesday afternoon.

I can't play Wednesday or Thursday this week but would like to play with your group some week

Man, this week the weather is FINALLY changing for the better!!
AG
Matsui said:

How'd it go?

We enjoyed the round, minus my patented melt-down hole that invariably guarantees I can't keep it under 10 over.

Observations:

1) The new layout and condition of the course are light-years beyond what I played while in school. Tees, fairways and greens were all in excellent shape. The bare spots in the rough are really the only thing that I could criticize. I understand that it's the rough, but it detracts from the aesthetics in such a way that I think it hurts the course and the experience of playing it.

2) The girls qualified on Friday or some such. We were told the greens had been mowed and rolled. They were definitely flying on Saturday. I had a really hard time holding greens with anything other than a wedge and couldn't seem to keep the ball under the hole.

3) They sent a threesome off in front of us, then added another threesome to my son and I to give us 5. Then, like clockwork, some old coot ranger rolled-up on 2 to bark at us for failing to keep pace. What is it about those old ba$tard$? But since everything was somewhat back-ed up, we didn't have any trouble keeping pace after a couple of holes.

4) I'm really bad with fluffy Bermuda lies in the rough around the greens. Even the courses up here with Bermuda fairways have some native, cool season variety for rough. I never seemed to make the contact I wanted.

5) Pro-tip. If you play Saturday morning they will give you a parking pass for the the course lot. Then you can leave your car in the lot and hike over to your tailgate. That's a $40 parking spot on game day and a short walk to Spence park.

All in all, a great time with my son, an enjoyable round, and a bit of nostalgia for when I was young and had more time than money...not that I seem to have any more money, just a lot less time.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah we aren't playing today. It rained like hell yesterday and it is going to be a bog for a few days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GCP12
AG
Anyone played it recently? Going to play a round next Friday when I get into town and I'm trying to decide where.
khaos288
AG
group of us are playing in the morning. I'll let ya know.
GCP12
GCP12
AG
Does the campus course sell alcohol?
mm98
AG
yes
khaos288
AG
yup and it was in pretty good shape. Little wet still, but it was fun and playable
GCP12
AG
Thanks! Looking forward to it tomorrow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.