Do Ryder Cup captains not consult with Azinger?

2,235 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WhoopN06
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean he took possibly the most underdog team and whipped the euros. Not knowing anything about the course, I wouldve probably picked the same pick sans phil however had the course been examined in advance, xander, zach johnson and/or kisner wouldve been the best picks TO WIN.

Also, hopefully the schedule changing will give players a chance to rest after the fedex cup. Brutal ending schedule.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Euros hit 56% of fairways, US 51%. The accuracy off the tee angle is being overblown. More guys should have played this course before this weekend. I think that was the biggest failing. Also sounds like Furyk was too buddy buddy and let the guys make too many of their own decisions. Zinger wasn't even part of the original task force so doubt hes been consulted.
jj9000
AG
The US "leaders" are the oldest guys in the room...that happen to have a lot of individual skins on the wall.

Those same guys hold title to the most losses in Ryder Cup history.

Take a look a Furyk's Ryder Cup stats. Is he qualified to be a Captain? Is Tiger? Is Phil? Sure, they can win Majors, but it seems like they've never understood Ryder Cup golf and strategy. Can any of those guys put together a team as opposed to a bunch of individuals?

I've said this before, but Phil lost at East Lake by 24 strokes. He shouldn't have even been out there on Day 1. Furyk...in his Ryder Cup wisdom...trotted Phil right out there. If he didn't...he might get the Phil/Tom Watson backlash.

Also...say what you want about Reed...but he couldn't be more right in what he said. Set your differences aside for a few days and go win for the Team. You think a skipper is gonna sit his ace in game 7 of the World Series because he doesn't get along with the Catcher? Brady not throw to Gronk because Gronk said some mean things on Twitter?

You've got a bunch of kids making decisions on who they want to play with. That's not their job. Their job is to play with whomever the Captain tells them they're matched with.

EKUAg
AG
But it also sounds like he didn't put his aside either.
12thMan2012
AG
Phil, the biggest Ryder Cup loser of all time, hijacked the process. Not sure why anybody thought that would work out. All he's done is successfully make sure his clique is in charge of captain selection. Meanwhile we have a talented bunch of young players that are being led by a group of old guys that have no ide what it takes to be successful in this event.
Old Tom Morris
98Ag99Grad said:

Euros hit 56% of fairways, US 51%. The accuracy off the tee angle is being overblown. More guys should have played this course before this weekend. I think that was the biggest failing. Also sounds like Furyk was too buddy buddy and let the guys make too many of their own decisions. Zinger wasn't even part of the original task force so doubt hes been consulted.

Agree that the setup is being way overblown. The US mostly just showed up with too many guys not playing good golf, and they took that game to an unfamiliar course. Disaster waiting to happen. Some of them didnt play well all summer. And look at the Tour Championship results. The rock bottom was littered with players from the US. The TC results were a major red flag headed into this thing.

I don't care if it was a buddy buddy system. I think the RC pairings need to stop being overanalyzed as if this is Moneyball. I think Furyk should have started out with the hot Spieth-Reed combo, but I think the biggest issue is the US approaches this thing like Cam from Ferris Bueller - coal into diamonds. Trying buddy buddy to get guys to loosen up is fine to me.

But what it really all boils down to is that you just have to play better. Part of that is who you pick, part of it is how you prepare, and part of it is how you identify your hot hands early. They need to quit looking for excuses and magic answers. It's pretty straight-forward.
HouAggie
AG
Harry Stone said:

I mean he took possibly the most underdog team and whipped the euros.

Were they big underdogs? On home soil? That Euro team wasn't littered with stars.

I think Zinger gets WAY too much credit (and gives himself way too much credit) for the 2008 RC win.

US played a mediocre Euro team and outplayed them. I think it was that simple.
JCA1
AG
It's anonymous, of course, but one of the Ryder Cup players told a reporter that Reed begged to be paired with Tiger and Furyk agreed to it. This actually makes sense, as Reed has not been shy about his admiration of Tiger. Since their pairing screwed the pooch, Reed now comes out and blames Furyk/Spieth for not putting him back together with Spieth.

Like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives . . .
TheGreatScott12
AG
jj9000 said:

The US "leaders" are the oldest guys in the room...that happen to have a lot of individual skins on the wall.

Those same guys hold title to the most losses in Ryder Cup history.

Take a look a Furyk's Ryder Cup stats. Is he qualified to be a Captain? Is Tiger? Is Phil? Sure, they can win Majors, but it seems like they've never understood Ryder Cup golf and strategy. Can any of those guys put together a team as opposed to a bunch of individuals?

I've said this before, but Phil lost at East Lake by 24 strokes. He shouldn't have even been out there on Day 1. Furyk...in his Ryder Cup wisdom...trotted Phil right out there. If he didn't...he might get the Phil/Tom Watson backlash.

Also...say what you want about Reed...but he couldn't be more right in what he said. Set your differences aside for a few days and go win for the Team. You think a skipper is gonna sit his ace in game 7 of the World Series because he doesn't get along with the Catcher? Brady not throw to Gronk because Gronk said some mean things on Twitter?

You've got a bunch of kids making decisions on who they want to play with. That's not their job. Their job is to play with whomever the Captain tells them they're matched with.

I'm with you until you defended Reed. That guy was pissed off because he played absolutely terrible up until Sunday and was looking to blame anyone but himself. Hot heads like him have no room on a team. You rarely see teams win who hate each other so "putting your differences aside" is BS. Golf is too much of a mental game. You think if Jimmy Walker made the team they should trot DJ and Walker out there together if they think their games match up on paper?

By the way, JT and Spieth as a team were anything but the reason we lost.
jj9000
AG
aggiedent
AG
Maybe the US just needs to rethink how our team is assembled.

For a start, I think you need to weight Ryder Cup points much more heavily as we get closer to the Ryder Cup. It really doesn't matter how a guy was playing a year ago. It matters how he's playing now. There were a bunch of guys who were nowhere near the top of their game at the Ryder Cup.

Captains need to stop picking "veterans" to provide leadership if their game is in the crapper. I just don't think Furyk had the guts to tell Phil he wasn't going to pick him. We need Captains who show tough love.

When the Ryder Cup is in Europe, if the site of the Ryder Cup is a regular Euro tour stop, I think the top Americans need to go play the event. Only Justin Thomas did that this year.

As for the bickering and infighting, it needs to stop, but I'm not sure how you take all those dominant personalities and fix that.
TheGreatScott12
AG
jj9000 said:

Hot heads like him won the US the Ryder Cup two years ago.

Hot heads like him destroyed Rory in 2016 when Rory would have trounced just about anyone he played during that time period.

You think everyone...on every Team in sports...likes one another? Like it's a big freaking Kumbaya in all these locker rooms, with no egos involved?

Comparing DJ and Walker's situation to Reed and Speth is asinine. Marital infidelity with someone on the Team isn't even in the same stratosphere as being mad at someone for some Twitter beef, or media beef.

Get outta here with that nonsense.

It was Furyk's job to put the best Team(s) out there, each day. He didn't do that.

Reed/Speith is Exhibit A.

Sitting Reed for something other than fatigue or illness is Exhibit B.

Phil getting something other than a Day 3 Match is Exhibit C.

I can go on if you'd like.
Like I said before, we agree on everything (sitting Reed dumb, playing Phil dumb) except for defending Reed on throwing his team under the bus. Team events need good teammates. In every sport that exists you see cancerous personalities ruin great teams. Once again, it's not like Reed went out there and played lights out and Tiger just brought him down. Reed sucked on Friday and wasn't much better on Saturday. You can't argue that. And for the record, I don't think marital infidelity and a twitter beef is equivalent. What I said is if two people don't like each other then it is going to be very tough for them to play good two man team golf together.

Also, no one else on the team has come to Reed's rescue and said "yea Jordan didn't want to play with Reed." But, someone has come forward and said Reed wanted to play with Tiger. Does it not seem odd to you that Reed was practicing with Bridgestone golf balls prior to the matches if he didn't want to play with Tiger and had no expectations to? Reed is a loose cannon and I have never liked him except in national team events. Now I don't even like him then.
Oknows
AG
Unfortunately they have their hands tied by the point system that determines teams. Not sure why, but some of our better players don't play well in this system. I was not a fan of Phil being selected and we had too many guys not playing well at the end of the season. Kyle Stanley would have been awesome on that course. Same with Kisner if you had him in four ball. Would have liked to have seen Xander.

I agree that we need someone who has had Ryder Cup success running the show, but who is that?
Oknows
AG
And I agree that it's ridiculous that only one player from the team played in the French Open.
HouAggie
AG
jj9000 said:

Hot heads like him destroyed Rory in 2016 when Rory would have trounced just about anyone he played during that time period.

You think everyone...on every Team in sports...likes one another? Like it's a big freaking Kumbaya in all these locker rooms, with no egos involved?

Comparing DJ and Walker's situation to Reed and Speth is asinine. Marital infidelity with someone on the Team isn't even in the same stratosphere as being mad at someone for some Twitter beef, or media beef.

It was Furyk's job to put the best Team(s) out there, each day. He didn't do that.

The guy played like ass and shot like 85 in fourball, and you don't think he should have been sat out?
Old Tom Morris
I could definitely see the benefit of taking Xander instead of Phil. But I keep seeing Kisner mentioned, and he basically had 2 good showings since April (albeit they were the British and PGA, but with a missed cut at the US Open). Otherwise, he was getting cut or struggling to crack the top 50 in every tournament he played. That included the first 3 rounds of the Fedex playoff which led to him missing the Tour Championship.

His year looks like one of the problems the US had overall - hot winter/spring followed by ****ty summer leading up to the RC.
jj9000
AG
You don't sit your ace if he has one bad round. The dude is arguably our best Ryder Cup player.

Do I think Reed + XYZ could have done better that Tiger and Bryson?

Absolutely.
JCA1
AG
I'm torn on what to make of prior Ryder Cup play. Clearly, there are guys who seem to rise to the occasion. But I still have a hard time with the idea that because a guy had a good weekend 2/4 years ago, you got to keep running him out there even though he hasnt played well in months.
Old Tom Morris
This narrative that Reed had a crappy summer is false. 4th in US Open. Did miss 2 cuts this summer and was not good in the TC. But a lot of top 25-30 finishes, including the British and was solid in the first 3 playoff events.
birdman
No need to consult with Azinger. He blabbed to every single person since he was Ryder Cup captain. I'm sick of hearing about him and his pods.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

I'm torn on what to make of prior Ryder Cup play. Clearly, there are guys who seem to rise to the occasion. But I still have a hard time with the idea that because a guy had a good weekend 2/4 years ago, you got to keep running him out there even though he hasnt played well in months.

I agree with that. Most guys need their game to be in good shape even if they do enjoy and play well in the Ryder Cup. The odd exception is a guy like Poulter. He's just like Jekyll and Hyde in the Ryder Cup.
Goody
AG
Has anyone seen a stat on the feet up putts made by the Euros vs US? I think they just made more putts then we did. It seemed like we were always missing 15 footers and then they were making 12 footers on holes.

I heard someone say that the captain in 2022 should take the top 30-40 guys in the rankings over to Rome and actually play the course for a couple days to see what guys fit best...not a bad idea.
Arthur Stilwell
USA is just over-thinking this. You play like crap, you're going to lose. No captain or setting up a pod system is going to overcome that.

It doesn't matter who you're paired up with - just go out there and hit the shots that you're suppose to. Your partner isn't going to swing the club for you.
Old Tom Morris
While they won with the Azinger pod system (note I said "with", not necessarily "because of"), I'm thinking it may have done a long-term disservice in that it's contributing to the impression that this is more of a science than it is. These guys are all hung up on the system being employed to pair them vs. their golf game, and then if they don't like the pairing, it becomes a cop-out vs. gutting it out and playing better. I really think it's taken their focus away from where it needs to be, which is embrace the opportunity and play the damn game.
WhoopN06
jj9000 said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.