***Ryder Cup 2018 at Le Golf National***

28,040 Views | 565 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Poot
RigsTx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured we were getting close enough to beating the pants off the Euros that we could start the official thread.

Assuming Furyk goes with the Pod System and that the Tuesday practice rounds were any indication of the pods, you have some interesting potential pairings.

Pod A: Patrick Reed, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau
Pod B: Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson
Pod C: Bubba Watson, Webb Simpson, Brooks Koepka, Tony Finau

I'm surprised we are splitting up Spieth/Reed. I am scared about a Woods/Mickelson pairing. Looking at those pods I would put the partners as follows:

Reed/Mickelson; Woods/DeChambeau
Spieth/Thomas; Fowler/DJ
Watson/Simpson; Koepka/Finau

I really like pairing Koepka/Finau together and would be curious about the Spieth/Thomas duo. Mickelson/Reed and Watson/Simpson look weak.

The Euro Pods could shake out like this:

Pod A: Sergio Garcia, Alex Noren, Henrik Stenson, Justin Rose
Pod B: Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Thorbjorn Olesen, Paul Casey
Pod C: Tommy Fleetwood, Francesco Molinari, Ian Poulter, Tyrell Hatton

I think a Poulter/Hatton pairing would be fun. They are both so amped up there could be some fireworks. Especially if you paired them with Reed.

Stenson/Rose could be a solid pairing.

I'm not sure how you would pair Pod B, but other than a Rory/Rahm pairing nothing in there overly concerns me. Of course that is probably the kiss of death and Olesen will go 5-0 this week.

What are your thoughts?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Interesting... I thought it was all but decided that Woods and Bryson would be playing together (same ball and they have played several practice rounds together through the season).

Koepka/Finau would be intimidating as hell.
BreNayPop
AG
I think itll be an interesting match... pairing tiger w phil would be an error tho. I hate seeing speith and reed changed up, but putting a rookie like jt with speith is probably a good idea. I really like the tiger/dechambeau pairing as i have no idea where else to put dechambeau.

Regardless, i think the euros have a really good team this year. Hope its a dogfight and great golf.

And of all the picks, i am still most worried about phil since this course will be uber penalizing for missed tee shots and he has been all over the place recently.
jj9000
AG
Pod C: Bubba Watson, Webb Simpson, Brooks Koepka, Tony Finau

Ummm...guys...I'd like to play from the Red Tees today if that's OK with y'all.

Man...that's a LOT of firepower!!!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
More smoke to the Reed/Tiger pairing fire...

Ag_07
AG
I like the Phil-Bryson pairing. They both look at things very analytically and I can see how they would work well together and also how they may clash with anyone else.

Makes me think of a quote from DJ about playing a practice round with them...Hearing those two discuss things made my head spin. I had to walk on the other side of the fairway.
WhoopN06
So excited for a Cat/Reed pairing. The fireworks will be awesome. Tiger is going to feed of Reeds emotion. Also legimately two of the best match play players in the game today.
RigsTx
AG
Ag_07 said:

I like the Phil-Bryson pairing. They both look at things very analytically and I can see how they would work well together and also how they may clash with anyone else.

Makes me think of a quote from DJ about playing a practice round with them...Hearing those two discuss things made my head spin. I had to walk on the other side of the fairway.

That's a good point.

I feel if you listened to the thought processes before a shot that DJ's and Bryson's would be a hair different.

DJ: How far?
Caddie: 180.
DJ: Wind?
Caddie: Quartering off the right
DJ: 8 iron?
Caddie: Sounds good
*DJ swings*

DeChambeau: It looks like 179 yds 1 foot 6 inches
Caddie: Probably playing 2 yds 2 ft up the hill
DeChambeau: What's the current temperature?
Caddie: 67 degrees
DeChambeau: Add 3 yards to distance to account for cooler weather. What elevation are we at?
Caddie: 3,000' above see level
DeChambeau: Take off 2 yards for elevation. What's the wind direction and speed?
Caddie: Looks like coming into us from a NNW direction at roughly 7-9mph.
DeChambeau: Would you say more like 7 or more like 9?
Caddie: Let's call it 8.
DeChambeau: Add 5 yards for wind. So where are we at?
Caddie: Need to this this ball 188 yards
DeChambeau: I'm at 188 yds 6 inches.
Caddie: My bad you're correct.
DeChambeau: What do you think about a 7 iron at 93.2% drawing in off the grandstand. Maybe start it at that EuroFan wearing the all Green suit?
Caddie: Looks good. I think you can go to 94% with no problem.
DeChambeau: Sounds good
*DeChambeau swings*

I feel like I may have put too many words in DJ's mouth and not enough in DeChambeau's.
Aggie1391
I like Woods and Reed together. Put them up against Rory. Also a fan of Speith and JT being together, they are good friends so hopefully makes JT calm.

Feel like these 2 moments set the tone last year for a US win, hoping for a repeat!

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/american-fan-makes-putt-100/

98Ag99Grad
AG
Splitting-up the best US duo in 3 decades. ok....
WhoopN06
My guess is that Furyk will send Reed/Speith out in the very first match. From there I think is where you'll see Tiger/Reed and JT/Speith.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Aggie1391 said:

I like Woods and Reed together. Put them up against Rory. Also a fan of Speith and JT being together, they are good friends so hopefully makes JT calm.

Feel like these 2 moments set the tone last year for a US win, hoping for a repeat!

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/american-fan-makes-putt-100/

Ima huge Ryder Cup fan, so biased as ****

But that is a top 10 ALL TIME ALL VENUE moment in golf for me
Hope Furyk isn't over thinking it. I don' see the Rose-Tiger combo (EDIT: Reed-Tiger). Thought Tiger would go out with the mad-scientist bryson.
cab559
AG
Bones was on the NLU podcast last week and mentioned Bryson/Phil and Reed/Tiger as possible pairings.
07fta07
AG
vwbug said:

Hope Furyk isn't over thinking it. I don' see the Rose-Tiger combo. Thought Tiger would go out with the mad-scientist bryson.

I'm pretty sure you won't see a Rose-Tiger combo.
STX Ag
AG
Huh?
Oknows
AG
Spieth and Reed will likely stay together in four-ball. Will be split in foursomes because one or both may sit during the foursomes.
Cedar09
I was there!! It was awesome!!! I love the Ryder Cup!!
vwbug
Lol - Woods and Reed is what I meant - think that would be a big mistake.

Tiger/Bryson
Reed/Spieth
Brah/Brah (DJ/Koepka)
Thomas/Fowler

Sprinkle in: Finau, Mickelson, Simpson, Watson - but don't play Bubba in foursomes.
CapCityAg89
AG
Phil plays max once per day and that in four ball. Dude would be terrible right now in foursomes.
STX Ag
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Phil plays max once per day and that in four ball. Dude would be terrible right now in foursomes.

Phil is way up there in birdie average, he's perfect for fourball.
AgLA06
AG
STX Ag said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Phil is way up there in birdie average, he's perfect for fourball.
Yep. If you have a solid partner getting up and down all day it really easy to let someone like Phil say "hold my beer and watch this". 1 in 3 he'll pull an amazing shot out of his ass and that's all you need with a solid partner. I've always been amazed they haven't paired him up with someone like Furyk who is the definition of consistency.
PJYoung
AG
Pairings come out close to 11 central after the opening ceremony.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Watching the live ceremony now.
Euro crowd has been pretty friendly... except when welcoming Patrick Reed, they booed.

https://www.rydercup.com/live/rydercupusa/5
AgLA06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Euro crowd has been pretty friendly... except when welcoming Patrick Reed, they booed.

I hope that made Reed's heart glow with joy.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AgLA06 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I hope that made Reed's heart glow with joy.
Oh... He lapped it up and enjoyed every moment of it. He also was the only one not wearing sunglasses when walking up.

AgLA06
AG
To correct a bad batman quote.

Reed is the villain we need, but not the hero we deserve.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Looks like the leaked pairing were true..

Spieth and JT were paired up.

Tiger and Patty Reed are paired up.
RigsTx
AG
Fourball Pairings:

Koepka/Finau vs Rose/Rahm

DJ/Fowler vs McIlroy/Oleson

Spieth/JT vs Casey/Hatton

Reed/Tiger vs Molinari/Fleetwood
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So who's going to wake up (or not go to sleep?) at 1 am to watch it kick off tomorrow morning?
98Ag99Grad
AG
That final match is stout!
98Ag99Grad
AG
I thought they were leading off with 4somes, not 4 ball?
Ag_07
AG
No fourball to start

Those pairings are pretty good expect I'd like to see DJ/Koepka. Although DJ/Rickie is pretty stout
Poot
I wonder if that means that Mick is sitting on Day 1? Also, is Furyk going to go with Webb and Bubba in Foursomes? That would seem like an almost guaranteed "L."

I'm not a huge fan of what Furyk is openning up with. I guess we'll see...
Big Cat `93
AG
I didn't expect to see Hatton or Thunderbear that early.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.