Golf Trip Ideas for a 70th Birthday

1,231 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexAgs1992
Rubble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting to plan a trip for my dad's 70th birthday. It's not until Feb of 2020, but I like to plan early. I have the usual suspects already on the list, but wanted to get some input from y'all on others I may not know about.

Here is what my list consists of so far:
Bandon
Pebble
Kiawah
Sawgrass
Kohler (obviously not in Feb)
Harbor Town
Aggie369
AG
Are yall going to be walking?
skippytimmy
AG
Add Streamsong and Sand Valley.....
Rubble
AG
Some of us will probably walk most of the time, if not all of it.
LHIOB
AG
Go to Ireland or Scotland
HouAggie
AG
Pinehurst
Rubble
AG
As much as I would love to, my dad and brother just went this year to Ireland with 2 of the others in the group, so that's probably out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LantanaAg said:

Some or all? Asking because it's basically mandatory for some of the courses, like the first one on your list. There's a Bandon thread out here with a running update on my nearly 70 year old FIL's trip there earlier this summer, who went less than 3 months after a hip replacement. He managed to pull it off somehow (walked 36-18-36), but it definitely pushed him to the absolute limit. I'm still not sure how he did it. He looked into the possibility of a cart ahead of time, but it sounds like they've made it a PITA vs. a rubber stamp (i.e. doctors notes, etc. documenting a permanent disability)

Found their policy:
Quote:

Bandon Dunes is walking-only, however riding golf carts are available to all guests with a permanent disability that prevents them from walking their round. Such a request must be arranged with documentation prior to arrival.
ORAggieFan
Bandon in Feb is risky. You do get way better rates. Very good chance of lots of rain.
AustinCountyAg
with your winter time frame I would do Arizona, or Mexico/Carribean......carolina, westt coast, Bandon all brings in huge weather possibilities in the heart of winter time
07fta07
AG
Palm Springs?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Pebble in Feb? AT&T Pro Am.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There is the Pro Am in Feb, but I've always heard before or after was always a good time to visit PB as it's otherwise a slower time of year for them. It's really just the week of the tourney that needs avoiding. And the weather stays moderate enough that it's not cold. August-October is their busy time.
ORAggieFan
DannyDuberstein said:

There is the Pro Am in Feb, but I've always heard before or after was always a good time to visit PB as it's otherwise a slower time of year for them. It's really just the week of the tourney that needs avoiding. And the weather stays moderate enough that it's not cold. August-October is their busy time.
Not sure on Pebble, but I know Torrey is closed completely the week before the event and a bit after. About 2.5 weeks total.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just looked at the PB availability site - it's down for the tourney from the Friday before through the Monday after (Feb 1-11). Most of the rest of the month is available (a couple of other random days are blocked). And almost all of January leading up to it is available. 11 days leading up to the 1st are all available, and 12 of 13 days after the 11th are available.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Looks like Spyglass is down Feb 4-10, but otherwise entirely available outside of one day in late Feb.
Rubble
AG
I think Pebble trys to get as many rounds in as possible, even around the tournaments. I think they are allowing a handful of groups on this week, even with the Amatuer going on.

My brother had a great idea of Phoenix/Scottsdale if the tour schedule remains the same, parlaying going to the Phoenix Open one of the days.
Rubble
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

LantanaAg said:

Some or all? Asking because it's basically mandatory for some of the courses, like the first one on your list. There's a Bandon thread out here with a running update on my nearly 70 year old FIL's trip there earlier this summer, who went less than 3 months after a hip replacement. He managed to pull it off somehow (walked 36-18-36), but it definitely pushed him to the absolute limit. I'm still not sure how he did it. He looked into the possibility of a cart ahead of time, but it sounds like they've made it a PITA vs. a rubber stamp (i.e. doctors notes, etc. documenting a permanent disability)

Found their policy:
Quote:

Bandon Dunes is walking-only, however riding golf carts are available to all guests with a permanent disability that prevents them from walking their round. Such a request must be arranged with documentation prior to arrival.

Everyone in the group is fully capable of walking wherever we go. 4 of them recently went to Ireland and walked 6 rounds.

I have read the bandon thread and enjoyed it. It's part of the reason it's on the list!
Pignorant
AG
For February golf, Streamsong is going to be your best option.

54 holes with several foods options.

It's unlike anything you'll find in Florida.
TexAgs1992
If you really want to ball out for your pops, take him to Tara Iti.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.