Rules Issue at US AM

1,447 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agsalaska
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2018/08/16/akshay-bhatias-u-s-amateur-ends-after-rules-violation-and-it-wasnt-right/amp/

Tough break for this guy - especially since it was his caddie and not him.
jj9000
AG
This is my surprised face.

USGA gonna USGA.
Old School Brother
that's garbage.
Forum Troll
AG
Reads like an Onion article if you didn't know anything about the USGA.
BreNayPop
AG
That's terrible
Mr.Bond
AG
Kids in shockingly high spirits. I'd burn the ****ers to the ground
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

CapCity12thMan
AG
In a USGA qualifier I participated in, we were delayed and talking with a USGA rules official. One of the players in our group was leaning up against a golf cart, kind of sitting above the back wheel (on those EZGos that were flat back there - yes in the 90s). He mentioned to him - "word of advice if you ever decide to sit in a golf cart during competition, make sure both feet are touching the ground". He mentioned an incident where a player was sitting in the cart, feet in the cart, and the driver took off - causing the player to "ride a cart", enforcing a penalty.

ElCheAg
AG
Caddie should've just taken a whiz in the bushes. Would've been totally legal, no?
Just an Ag
AG
dumb, even for the USGA.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Such a ridiculous ruling on this one. USGA can't get out of its own way. Ever.

Kid may have lost anyway, because you never know how it would have played out if this never happened. But even still, what a lousy, ridiculous way to lose a hole and a match.
tamu2009
AG
Color me shocked. What an absurd ruling, especially if true about the inequitable application of the rule if the other caddy used one earlier in the round.

It seems like the USGA just keeps trying to keep it's name in the press and subscribing to the "all press is good press" mantra.
_lefraud_
AG
I'd like to see the USGA just vanish, maybe get hit with corruption or some sort of scandal. Let the R&A handle all things related to golf competitions across the globe.
bdgol07
AG
Wonder what Shane Lowry thinks of this USGA ruling?
ColoradoMooseHerd
DannyDuberstein said:

Such a ridiculous ruling on this one. USGA can't get out of its own way. Ever.

Kid may have lost anyway, because you never know how it would have played out if this never happened. But even still, what a lousy, ridiculous way to lose a hole and a match.
My understanding is that it happened on 18. If so, it cost him the match
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was the 14th, the other back 9 par 5.
jonj101
_lefraud_ said:

I'd like to see the USGA just vanish, maybe get hit with corruption or some sort of scandal. Let the R&A handle all things related to golf competitions across the globe.

I thought about this before. In the relatively brief time that I've been into golf I haven't been able to comprehend the USGA.

Despite being entrusted with the game in America they appear to take counter productive measures and seem more intent on being visible and screwing it up than promoting it. I don't think I've seen one US Open where there wasn't some drama or stupid issue interfering with the event.
agsalaska
AG
We would be better off if the PGA ran things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.