Swing help

2,040 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
JTatter88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No clue what is going on, I have developed a massive snap hook in my drive. My iron and wedge shots are still fine, but no matter how high I tee the ball up; im hitting low screamers with massive hook to the left.

Im not overswinging, Im playing the ball off my instep, making sure to extend my arms, but its happening every time.

Any ideas?
khaos288
AG
Forum Troll
AG
Check to make sure your grip isn't too weak. If you subconciously detect an open face coming into impact you will snap the face shut to prevent it from going way right.

If your path is too much in to out, you can snap hook as well. If you are "stuck" (arms lagging body pivot) you'll have to flip to try and square the face or you'll block it off the property. With good timing you can hit is straight but its usually a huge block or big nasty snap hook. All worse with longer clubs.

I'd also check to make sure you aren't setting up with the shoulders open, very easy to do when you tee the ball forward and not even notice it.

Best to get on video for an online instructor or go see your pro.
Old School Brother
check grip first for sure. went through this before and that's what it was.
BTD
My snap hook was caused by having too much weight forward / or swaying forward. As soon as I stayed back a bit all was good again.
AggieDruggist89
AG
99% you're getting stuck during downswing.
JTatter88
Will be playing 9 tomorrow morning. I think i might be shifting my weight too far forward. Will report back with findings.

Thanks for all the help
AggieDruggist89
AG
Stay away from German balls. Hookenfkers.
Just an Ag
AG
I fight this issue and the problem is (for me) finishing too low and flat. Corrected it by consciously following through higher. The swing thought is to throw the club up into the clouds, work on hitting a full finish with high hands.
CapCity12thMan
AG
low quick hooks could be a couple of things...two wide and flat is one component of it, but that would also lead to misses way right (a two way miss). Typically the miss low and left is an improper weight shift, and keeping all the weight on your backside as the club goes through the ball. Your body never gives the club a chance to go down the line and start the ball out to the right.

But even with a good weight shift you can get the ball going quick left with an early release...the club gets so far out in front of you it can't help but go left.

I think you need to get the timing of your body, arms and hands back in synch. One thing I do to help is to hit some shots with your feet together. Any sort of dramatic weight shift will knock you off balance. Just turn ("in a barrel") and work in timing of everything to keep your balance. Slowly separate your feet a few inches at a time with a bunch of swings at each stage until you get it. That type of drill resonates with me very well, but each golfer is different.

hunterjr81
Try to hit a slice
Harry Stone
AG
BTD said:

My snap hook was caused by having too much weight forward / or swaying forward. As soon as I stayed back a bit all was good again.

This. Take the weight off your toes at address
JTatter88
So, I figured it out. For some damn reason I was shortening my right arm on the down swing; have no clue how I got into that habit. That was causing the club face to close and for me to lose all my loft on my swings.
CapCity12thMan
AG
How does one shorten their right arm?

JTatter88
CapCity12thMan said:

Perhaps the wrong word; but I was tensing and shrugging my right shoulder on the down swing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

You get some dude from Boston to bite part of it off?
mm98
AG
Harry Stone said:

BTD said:

This. Take the weight off your toes at address

I had this problem a few months ago. 3 things helped me quite a bit.

1 - the advice mentioned above. I really try to feel my weight on my heels throughout setup and transition.

2 - My grip was actually too strong causing the face to close too much at impact. I switched back to neutral and it helped.

3 - Stance...while my feet were correct at address, my shoulders and upper body were turned slightly open and I lined up my club visually with my eyes. But when i looked at the grooves on my irons I noticed they were about 5 degrees closed compared to my feet. So, now I look at the bottom iron groove and make sure it is parallel with my feet, then make sure my shoulders aren't open at address.

Your problem may be something else but these are a couple of easy fixes that have really helped my iron game.
CapCity12thMan
AG
100% do not agree with weight on heels.

mm98
AG
I certainly don't mean lean back, or over exaggerate it. I just mean after 2 decades of more physical sports I have a tendency to balance on the balls of my feet.

For golf that screws me up. If I can't feel the weight on my heel I'm not balanced and will usually rock forward. Works for me though
CapCity12thMan
AG
so my point about the heels is that I just worked through this. At the risk of exposure and finger pointing and laughter from TexAgs, here is a swing analysis I got from Zach Allen - I highly recommend doing one of his online lessons - only $39 - worth EVERY penny...http://zachallengolf.com/

Perhaps some of this analysis will resonate with folks. I simply enjoy the analysis stuff and this side by side gives me good perspective.

I got this lesson in April 2016 and by November 2016 my handicap went from 0.8 to a +1.9. I had a bad habit of getting back on my heels and this would result - as you hear in the video - of me getting too rounded off, which results in a two way miss. Sometimes I would hit it right and then sometimes I would get the dreaded low left hook. Since moving closer to the ball, getting more onto the balls of my feet, I have eliminated the left side of the golf course. This is why I hesitate to have anyone think of 'heels'.

Hopefully this is helpful: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B96PqlluKCyTcE1MYmJZVTFiQms

Since this, further refinement on some shoulder position through impact has dropped my hdcp even further. Give Zach a try!

DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, when I set up on my heels, I tend to go more left. In fact, it's almost so reliable to produce a hard draw/bordering-on-hook that I do it on purpose when I'm trying to work the ball around a hard dogleg left, etc. At least for me, it would not be a solution to deal with a hook I'm trying to get rid of.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.