Ireland Trip 2018

2,289 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mateo84
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tired to post a little and it was all jacked up so bear with me...

I posted about this trip in Jan and we took it in May/June but starting a new job 2 days after I got back really cut into my TexAgs time and the time I wanted to devote to the post

Here is the thread telling the story leading up to our trip

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2924662/replies/50965775

Long story short for those who don't want to read all of it in 2014 my dad outlined a golf trip to Ireland for my brother (Aggie369) and me. Shortly after he was diagnosed with cancer and about 18 months later he passed away. At his funeral his best friend approached my brother and I about taking the trip. Two year later my brother, myself, my dads best friend and his recent college graduate son took that trip.

This is going to be a LONG post with lots of stories and photos so be warned, I hope you enjoy...

One last note if you are a golfer and you have never taken a "Memory Trip" (as well call) them do it. You can always make more money, you cant go back in time and make more memories with your father or your sons.

Our trip started in Belfast. What an awesome city. Great pubs. Great people and I had the best breakfast Ive ever had in my life at Established Breakfast. Holy S*** was it good.

agsalaska
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
LHIOB
AG
I was almost done with my post and I accidentally closed out the TexAgs tab...it may be a bit before I calm down enough to post...

In the meantime here is my favorite pic from the trip...

My brother at Lahinch

He knocked it to 12 feet and made the putt. For the record I was a little closer but in the fringe and I also made the putt...

t - cam
AG
Oh no. I'm looking forward to it when you do. Love the backstory.
Aggie369
AG
I've been waiting for this hopefully picture heavy post
t - cam
AG
LHIOB said:

I was almost done with my post and I accidentally closed out the TexAgs tab...it may be a bit before I calm down enough to post...

My brother at Lahinch

He knocked it to 12 feet and made the putt. For the record I was a little closer but in the fringe and I also made the putt...

Bros reverse c is impressive? He pretty good?
Aggie369
AG
.......some?........

LHIOB
AG
t - cam said:

LHIOB said:

My brother at Lahinch

Bros reverse c is impressive? He pretty good?

Hes a bery good golfer. He wont want to talk about the last round we played together...

I had hoped to post a very picture heavy post today but Im working off my laptop in a hotel. I made wong wrong click and I lost everything. Ill try to get it posted soon...
t - cam
AG
Aggie369 said:

.......some?........

Hmmm?
Aggie369
AG
That's a Tom Herman press conference reference

I'm ok...about a 5 HC...I think too much and try too hard. Dad was a +2 or so and always kicked our ass....even during chemo he beat me a few times.

t - cam
AG
Aggie369 said:

That's a Tom Herman press conference reference

I'm ok...about a 5 HC...I think too much and try too hard. Dad was a +2 or so and always kicked our ass....even during chemo he beat me a few times.

Got ya, haha. Great finish on the swing. Wish I was that fluid.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Bookmarked
AG
Ok, Take 2!

Belfast is petty awesome. Great people and great food! Pubs that are 400 years old and Tyrion and his buddy Ethan Hawk. We saw them outside of our hotel as we were leaving.

We booked our trip thru Haversham and Baker which was a little more pricey and fancy than we would normally do. If you have the $$ they are 100% first class all the way. Our driver, Martin, was like the 5th member of our group. He was awesome. This is us on the last day.

Just to note, my brother, Boomer, is the skinny lefty and I am the husky bearded one.

We started our trip at Portstewart, the host of the 2017 Irish Open won by Jon Rahm. This was the ONLY day on our trip that really required a pullover. The opening tee shot was EPIC. Over a 150 foot drop with the wind coming hard off the Atlantic Ocean.

The first 12 holes of Portstewart are awesome. Winding in and around massive dunes made for some very creative and beautiful holes.

He found this one

Truly an amazing place. We all wished that the last 6 were like the first 12 but still a great golf course. We only played it once but I'd love another shot at it.

We stayed in Bushmills at the Bushmills Inn. Awesome hotel with great bar - which should surprise no one.

The next morning we did one of our few non-golf outtings and visited the Giants Causway - a wild rock formation just down the road. Its been used numerous times in Game of Thrones

That afternoon it was off to Royal Portrush for the first of 2 round. RPR will host the 2019 Open Championship.

Those pics to follow a little later

AgLA06
AG
Did you post the rest of this somewhere else?
LHIOB
AG
AgLA06 said:

Haha

No, I travel for work and Ive been crazy busy. Ill try to get more up soon.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
LHIOB said:

AgLA06 said:

Haha

No, I travel for work and Ive been crazy busy. Ill try to get more up soon.

Please do!
AG
Yeah....get your **** in one pile here and post the pictures
LHIOB
AG
Our next stop was Royal Portrush. RPR is the only course in Ireland to host the Open Championship. It will be hosting next year and in preparation they had to make a few changes. There wasnt enough room by the 18th green for grandstands so holes 17 and 18 were removed and everything got bumped up 2 holes. They made 2 new holes - 7 and 8 - which ended up being 2 of my favorites. Seven is a LONG par 5 that we played with the wind. It typically plays into the wind. Eight is a long par 4 with a wicked green.

We played 2 rounds at RPR. Its absolutely beautiful and I think it will make for a great Open. Many of the holes give you options and if the wind is up, look out.

#5 green

This is the new #7. Its an ANIMAL. I hit 2 of my best shots of the trip on this hole on day 1. It played 552 from the White tees and I went driver, 4 iron to get home in 2.

You can almost see the nasty green on 8 from this fairway bunker

Here is the back tee box at #16 - Calamity Corner. The score card says 236 but the caddies told us depending on the wind the pros may hit driver. No picture we took did it justice. Its a MONSTER. Also if you look out over the water from the #16 tee box you can see Scotland.

The 17th is a short par 4 that has a 100 foot drop at about 250 yards. The caddies said there is an 8 yard slot that if you hit your ball will go right down the green. If you miss it right or left you are in some trouble. I hit the slot each day and my ball ended up with a few feet of each other. Sadly, I 3 putted it both times for par.

Here are a few from Day 2

This is #4. Its a long par 4 that I tripled twice. Bunkers on the left and then OB all along the right. Its the #1 handicap for a reason. The next time I play that hole its three 7 irons and hope for a 5.

#7 again. The massive bunker on the right is about 35-40 feet tall. Its probably only a 220 carry from our tee box but from the back and into the wind I could see it coming into play in the Open.

This is the view from behind the #6 tee box. There's a white stone retaining wall on he beach that will no doubt be a feature of the Open coverage.

We all loved RPR and cant wait to see it in all its glory next summer.

Aggie369
AG
That course is a beast

Rory holds course record from when he was like 15 years old. He came out a few years ago and started birdie, eagle, hole in one. The rough here was brutal...carnousti rough doesn't come close. Caddies told us if you miss fairway it's a 50/50 chance you find it. If you find it its 50/50 you can hit it forward.
If the wind blows this place will play tough...there are scoring opportunities for sure but keep it in the fairway!

I'll see if I can post some of my pictures too
Aggie369
AG
Ill post some of my pictures up to Royal Portrush

Got the trip started off right

Belfast was a cool city---lots of art and paintings across the town. Everyone told us that Americans love Dublin but that its the least Irish city in Ireland

Traveling with Haversham and Baker was incredible. Our bus was legit....fridge and cooler full of beer, stocked with snacks....captains chairs with table and charging stations for phones and cameras. Our driver, Martin, definitely added to the experience. He made diner reservations, leveraged relationships for better tee times, better caddies, etc

Port Stewart

Royal Portrush

We played Royal County Down (#1 Ranked course in the world) next but ill wait for LHIOB to post first

98Ag99Grad
AG
Great pics! You guys definitely have a different take on Belfast than I did. No problem for me if I don't ever go back.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Fantastic trip. Envious as heck
AG
Our next stop was Royal County Down - Ranked #1 in the world. Its every bit as awesome as you'd want it to be.

Its very unassuming when you walk over from the Slive Donard.

We were all standing by the pro shop when our caddies walked over. One of them said "who wants me?" and I was smitten. I got Andy and he was awesome. A caddie can make or break your day. And not just the golf. I didnt play that great but I had a blast. If you ever get the chance to play RCD ask for Andy. You will have fun the entire day.

#1 is a good par 5 where almost every tee shot will feed back down to the fairway. Good chance to start with a birdie. Walking off of #1 Andy looks at me and says "I like to start round with a dirty joke. Its lets me know where we stand." He would also stand on each tee box and go over the entire hole with me. Where to go and where not to go and the various options for playing each hole. He was a legend.

There are numerous blind shots at RCD

There arent many ocean holes but the views are still amazing

#9 is one of the more famous holes not only in Ireland, but in all of golf. Blind tee shot over a MASSIVE dune and a green that is defended on all sides. On Day 1 I played it like a pro. On Day 2, well, that pic is to follow...

This is the view from the top of the dune you hit over. The church in the back doesnt show up well here but it really defines the hole.

I consider myself a damn good bunker player. But unfortunately between Bandon and Ireland I discovered that I have the amazing super power of finding terrible lies. This is on 18. It took me 3 to get out even playing sideways and then backwards. Its hard to tell but the ball is at knee level and under the lip. Golf is hard yall.

After RCD we made the 45 minute driver over to a lesser known course called Ardglass.

cmk10
AG
What did you end up shooting at these courses?
Aggie369
AG
80s
I **** the bed on my 2 good rounds at lahinch and trump doonbeg. Should have shot 78ish on both....
2 bad swings cost me 4 strokes in final 4 holes. The rough there put carnousti to shame.
cmk10
AG
Still a great score on those type of courses and being unfamiliar with them.
Quinn
AG
Awesome
Mateo84
AG
It's Saturday ... time for more Ireland golf photos
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.