Golf Memberships

34,370 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr.Pepper7
cmk10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about joining the Golf Trails of The Woodlands. Where all are you members at and how much do you typically pay/month?

They are offering a deal for August where it's unlimited golf, no cart fees, unlimited range and access to other club Corp courses for 310/month.
khaos288
AG
54$/month at Westridge in McKinney gets me

16$ golf with cart and beer 11-3:59
6$ golf with cart and beer 4-6:59
Free golf after 7:00
15% off March at pro shop
Unlimited range balls l
Twice weekly group clinics
07fta07
AG
Hearthstone (Clubcorp). I pay about $375 a month including carts. My first year was $300 a month including carts.

Panther and the Oaks are great courses, but they're ridiculously overcrowded and slow. Every time I go out there it's damn near a 5 hour round. I've stopped going out there because of their pace of play.
Lonestarandi
AG
We're ClubCorp YEX ONE (through the met) and pay $300/mo. No cart fees, weekend play after 10am. We play Kingwood weekly or so.
tommyjohn
I have looked at Golf Trail of The Woodlands. Only playing 4-5 times a month and I can't make the math work.

I normally play late afternoon as a single since I don't have a group to consistently play with. They have been having a GolfNow special for $40 after 3:00 on Panther Trail all summer. I grab that as often as I can and the course is empty then.

At the $310 you still need to pay a trail+green fee of around $25 per round. I would need to double my rounds played to make the math work.

Plus I still like to play Woodforest, High Meadow Ranch and La Torretta.
JCA1
AG
I'm at pine forest. Dues and minimum food and bev total around $600. I think carts are $16/round.
tommyjohn
Here is what Golf Trails sent me earlier this month when I asked

Golf Trails Associate ONE - $250 Entry Fee Special - Save $750

Monthly Dues - $265 ($205 after $60 Dues Credit )
Member Green Fee - $11 weekday / $13 Weekend
Member Cart Fee - $19 per person
Non Restricted access to all 3 Golf Trails courses, tee times can be made up to 8 days in advance.
Other Fees: Driving Range Program $199 Annually - $10 Monthly Food and Beverage Minimum.
ONE Benefits at Club 50% off ala-carte dining at BOTH RESTAURANTS, beverage cart and snack bars.
ONE Benefits for Houston area: 6 rounds per month for cart fee only (Sunday noon-Friday noon) at all Club Corp courses, maximum 2 rounds per club except: BAY OAKS, WOODLANDS CC, and DEER WOOD (no access).
ONE Benefits for Clubs outside Houston area: 2 rounds per course per month for cart fee only. 2 free meals at Club Corp City / Sport Clubs outside Houston area.

Golf Trails Unlimited ONE - $600 Entry Fee Special - Save $4400

Monthly Dues - $524 ($424 after $100 Dues Credit )
Member Green Fee - NONE
Member Cart Fee - NONE
Non Restricted access to all 3 Golf Trails courses, Pay no green or cart fees, tee times can be made up to 8 days in advance.
Other Fees: Driving Range Program $199 Annually - $10 Monthly Food and Beverage Minimum.
ONE Benefits at Club 50% off ala-carte dining at BOTH RESTAURANTS, beverage cart and snack bars.
ONE Benefits for Houston area: 2 rounds per course per month for cart fee only (Sunday noon-Friday noon) at all Club Corp courses except: BAY OAKS, WOODLANDS CC, and DEER WOOD (no access).
ONE Benefits for Clubs outside Houston area: 2 rounds per course per month for cart fee only. 2 free meals at Club Corp City / Sport Clubs outside Houston area.
tommyjohn
Also look at Willow Creek near Augusta Pines depending on where you are located in the area. It was a better deal and still in the Club Corp family.
cmk10
AG
This is what they sent me. Seems like a good deal w Driving range included and can play at all the below courses in my area.

Entry Fees, Dues, etc

The current enrollment special is as follows ENDING August 31st:
-Special One Time Entry Fee of only $250
-Delayed Dues Will Start OCTBER 1 2018

This the best offer I have seen at our club in a long while, I hope you take advantage of it.

Monthly Dues are just $310 for the first 12 months, then up to normal dues ( Currently $360 ) SEE ATTACHED FLYER !!!
All green fees, cart fees, and driving range program are included when you play at your HOME club courses ( LAKE WINDCREST, OAKS, PANTHER TRAIL ) and when you play at the other Club Corp clubs below:
# AFTER 10 AM WEEKENDS IS ONLY RESTRICTION FOR THE CLUBS LISTED BELOW.
1. April Sound Country Club Montgomery
2. The Club at Falcon Point Katy
3. The Clubs of Kingwood Kingwood (excludes Deerwood Club)
4. Hearthstone Country Club Houston
5. Magnolia Creek Golf Club League
6. South Shore Harbour Country Club League City
7. Willow Creek Golf Club Spring
*All club information is subject to change as needed.
* $10 Monthly Food and Beverage minimum is mandatory for all memberships.
* MEMBERSHIP INCLUDES THE CLUB CORP O.N.E PROGRAM!!!
cjsag94
AG
Unless you play a great deal of golf, I don't think you can ever make the math work.

With that said, joining a country club isn't about discount golf. I think you have to place a value on the entire experience, including access to premium practice facilities, and the community of people you are surrounded by, and hopefully great course conditions at your service.

I'm not a club member at this stage of my life because I can't take advantage of the membership benefits.
07fta07
AG
You can certainly make the math work, you just have to play a lot of golf.

But you're definitely right in that it's about more than the cost. You have a place you can play when you want, practice as much as you want, sneak in 5-6 holes after work, etc. If you're lucky enough that you can play a bunch and make the math work, even better.
Yesterday
AG
My rule of thumb is that you have to play at least 5 times a month to make it worth it(make the math work). I'm a range rat so I get to hit balls 4-5 times a week and play 3-4 times a month. It works out but there are definitely months where it does not.
cjsag94
AG
03ki11erAG said:

My rule of thumb is that you have to play at least 5 times a month to make it worth it(make the math work). I'm a range rat so I get to hit balls 4-5 times a week and play 3-4 times a month. It works out but there are definitely months where it does not.
In the best of scenarios, that last sentence is the rub in my experience.

If you play a decent caliber course (in line with a decent country club), you are probably looking at $85 per weekend round. Say you play once a week during the week...call that $55/week. Then range balls 1 time per week at $10.

On average, that's probably $600/month for 8 rounds of golf and 8 practice range days.

So, for a membership (especially $300 dues) that's a good deal. Problem is, though, $300 membership place isn't at the above rates for daily play. Then you throw in the weeks and months where weather/vacations/schedules eliminate that. Again, in my opinion, it is virtually impossible to make the math work to justify the cost as a money saving venture.

Country club membership is a luxury experience, not a coupon. Only point I'm making in my comments is if you are evaluating joining a country club to save money, you are most likely to be disappointed over time from a cost analysis. Value comes from the experience, not the hard dollar cost analysis.
07fta07
AG
I have 83 posted rounds to GHIN in 2018. At $375 a month, it's a coupon to me.
cjsag94
AG
That's 7 rounds per month..not 5.

And at that, still comes to $55/round.
07fta07
AG
It's about 10 per month and closer to $35 a round. My point is that it is possible to make the math work. Maybe not for everyone, but some people can play enough to get savings in addition to the other benefits of a private club.
khaos288
AG
nm
cmk10
AG
The way i look at it also is the location from the club to my house. This would be about a 20 minute drive. Where i play right now is at public courses off of 105 for the most part and that is about a 45 minute drive playing West Fork and La Toretta. I believe the time savings has to be factored in also when making these decisions.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Depending on age, Northgate has a Jr/ Young Exec membership that is $165/mo + carts ($16/ea) or $230/mo unlimited golf, tennis, etc. 18 holes + 5 practice holes.
Not a bad deal but location can be a bit tricky for some.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
cjsag94
AG
Make sure you can play when you want to. I know a lot of clubs have leagues, men's groups, etc. that fill up the Saturday morning times.

I looked at Blackhorse (semi-private) a few years back. That course does a ton of charity tournaments, which many members I spoke with were regularly frustrated because the course would be unavailable. Also, they actually had the tee time window at 14 days for non-members...and only 7 days for members. Their philosophy was the public rates were more valuable to them than the memberships.

So just be sure you can get on the course at the times that work with your schedule.
Yesterday
AG
cjsag94 said:

03ki11erAG said:

In the best of scenarios, that last sentence is the rub in my experience.

If you play a decent caliber course (in line with a decent country club), you are probably looking at $85 per weekend round. Say you play once a week during the week...call that $55/week. Then range balls 1 time per week at $10.

On average, that's probably $600/month for 8 rounds of golf and 8 practice range days.

So, for a membership (especially $300 dues) that's a good deal. Problem is, though, $300 membership place isn't at the above rates for daily play. Then you throw in the weeks and months where weather/vacations/schedules eliminate that. Again, in my opinion, it is virtually impossible to make the math work to justify the cost as a money saving venture.

Country club membership is a luxury experience, not a coupon. Only point I'm making in my comments is if you are evaluating joining a country club to save money, you are most likely to be disappointed over time from a cost analysis. Value comes from the experience, not the hard dollar cost analysis.

Right now at my club it's $365/month. Weekend rounds are $90 with cart. So you make your money back if you play 4 weekend rounds. Range is unlimited.

Is Hackberry Creek a $90 weekend round worthy course? I would say 50/50.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
khaos288 said:

Unlimited range balls l
Nice. I love that course and the practice area.

I've thought about doing it, but the management at Westridge is ***** We don't play there much since a round can sometimes take 5+ hours.
khaos288
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

khaos288 said:

Unlimited range balls l

I've thought about doing it, but the management at Westridge is ***** We don't play there much since a round can sometimes take 5+ hours.
Really? I may have gotten super lucky but since I moved here less than a month ago, I've probably played 20 rounds there without a 9 taking more than 2:15
cjsag94
AG
That sounds like what Longwood golf in Cypress did a number of years ago. Ridiculously cheap, throw in beer and food, and just fill the course as much as you can. They didn't care how long it took or who it pissed off. Last straw was a weekday round, tee off at 10:00 AM. Hour and half later on the 4th hole.

They just gave us a refund and sent us on our way. Eventually, this model will kill a course to anyone who actually wants decent golf.
khaos288
AG
cjsag94 said:

That sounds like what Longwood golf in Cypress did a number of years ago. Ridiculously cheap, throw in beer and food, and just fill the course as much as you can. They didn't care how long it took or who it pissed off. Last straw was a weekday round, tee off at 10:00 AM. Hour and half later on the 4th hole.

They just gave us a refund and sent us on our way. Eventually, this model will kill a course to anyone who actually wants decent golf.
Yeah, I'd leave the course immediately if that happens. Luckily I can get in right at 4 every day and then I'm never stuck behind the after work guys.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
khaos288 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

khaos288 said:

Unlimited range balls l

Really? I may have gotten super lucky but since I moved here less than a month ago, I've probably played 20 rounds there without a 9 taking more than 2:15
It does seem hit or miss, but man, more often then not, I'll get to the first tee and there will be 3 groups waiting.
The worst part is that occasionally you'll make the turn and have a back up at 10.

Really depends on the time/day though.

I do love the 6-6-6 layout and the course is always in pretty good shape.
khaos288
AG
Yeah, I feel super lucky to live on it. I haven't gotten unlucky yet, so I must have a good schedule.

I love all the par 3/par5s as well. Not to mention some fun par 4s
DannyDuberstein
AG
I like the 6-6-6 layout in a vacuum, but 6 par 5's and 6 par 3's can be a pace killer if you aren't managing the volume. I think that's a big part of their pace problem at times. They have less room for error than other courses.
TexasAggies06
AG
Quote:

This is how you make the math work.
jja79
AG
2:15 sounds excruciating for 9 holes.
khaos288
AG
That was literally the worst I had and the only time above 2
khaos288
AG
Step 1. Work from home
Step 2. Log on early for east coast team mates
Step 3. Log off with east coast team mates
Step 4. Daily 4:00 tee time
investorAg83
AG
khaos288 said:

Yeah, I feel super lucky to live on it. I haven't gotten unlucky yet, so I must have a good schedule.

I love all the par 3/par5s as well. Not to mention some fun par 4s

Used to be my favorite course until it got too busy. Teeing off at 4 wouldn't be bad but any other tee time I've had out there recently (last year plus) has been excruciatingly slow. Every time I leave I vow I won't be back.

The lunch and beer deal is too much. I feel like they're putting way too many on the course to make up for the money they lose on that deal.
FTAco07
AG
Does everyone here live in the suburbs or the country? I only ask because living in Dallas there isn't a private club within a 20 minute drive from my house or office with a sub $20k initiation, and only one is that cheap with the rest >$75k. I know there are young exec programs that reduce or delay that initiation, but you're still talking about >$500/mo dues.

I would love to join a CC if there was a halfway decent option within 15-20 minutes of my house and/or office, but there is no way I could get enough use out of something farther away then that.
LHIOB
AG
I recently joined Prestonwood. I was weary only because I have some buddies I love to play with. One of them joined witb me. Our wives and daughters live the pools (with the ONE they can go to any Club Corp pool) and Ive played a ton of golf. I also travel every week for work and Ive already taken advantage of the Club Corp network.

If anyone else is a member at Prestonwood shoot me a PM! Always looking for more people to play with.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.