Ryder Cup -- who would you pick as of today

12,593 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WhoopN06
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who would your four captain's picks be right now?

The only one I think is a no-brainer at the moment is Finau. I'd probably include Phil and Tiger. I guess DeChambeau as the other one? Nobody else on the list really jumps off the page.

Right now your top eight are:

Koepka
D. Johnson
Reed
Thomas
Watson
Spieth
Fowler
Simpson

----
9-30

Bryson DECHAMBEAU
Phil MICKELSON
Xander SCHAUFFELE
Matt KUCHAR
Kevin KISNER
Tony FINAU
Brian HARMAN
Kevin NA
Aaron WISE
Zach JOHNSON
Kyle STANLEY
Tiger WOODS
Jimmy WALKER
Kevin CHAPPELL
Charley HOFFMAN
Gary WOODLAND
Chez REAVIE
Ryan MOORE
Luke LIST
Patrick CANTLAY
J.B. HOLMES
Andrew LANDRY
bagger05
AG
Not-so-bold prediction: now that Tiger and Phil have decided to be buddies we will see them paired together.
Ag_07
AG
KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH

Won't blow anyone away but he won't blow up out there either. Dude is just so steady.
12thMan2012
AG
Hoping Simpson falls out of the auto-qualifier spot and is replaced by Dechambeau or Schauffele. Then pick Tiger, Finau, Kuchar and Kisner if you're trying to win.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I think Dechambeau and Finau need to be there. Simpson is putting great now so I hope he stays qualified personally. After that, not sure who I'd go with. Tiger hasn't won and he's not this intimidating presence IMO. His putting is also iffy and his record in matches isn't that great. Phil on the other hand has really played well the last 3 cups and has a win earlier this year. I'd probably take him over Tiger today.

Kuchar has a 6-7-2 overall record. not terrible considering he's been on only one winning team. I'd probably lean his way too for the last pick.
WhoopN06
Kisner for sure. He's a great putter and putting kills in match play.

Tiger and Phil. That leaves one spot left.

Pick a name out of a hat?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think OP is right about for sure taking Finau.

I'd go:

Tony FINAU
Tiger WOODS
Phil MICKELSON

Then one of these 6:

Bryson DECHAMBEAU
Xander SCHAUFFELE
Matt KUCHAR
Zach JOHNSON
Kevin CHAPPELL
Charley HOFFMAN

Then it is really hard to pick for me.
WhoopN06
I think this.

Woods
Mickelson
Finau
Kisner
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nothing wrong with that. That 12th spot is really up in the air for a large group of potential players.
LHIOB
AG
Phil has never not qualified so Id bet on him making the team on his own merits
The Milkman
AG
This thread really reiterates how weak our team is looking vs the euros
ORAggieFan
The Milkman said:

This thread really reiterates how weak our team is looking vs the euros

I disagree. I'm not saying the US is a major favorite, but they have 11 in the top 30 to our 16.
REMARCH11
AG
No way would I pick Woods, his Ryder Cup history is awful for the level of player he was/is.
Would take Phil for sure, or maybe as a alt captain.
Kooch, Finau, Z Johnson,
stick93
AG
Not sure i'd Want Tiger hitting my tee ball in alternate shot.
WhoopN06
All depends on the setup in France. Tiger could be a real asset if it's firm and fast.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Phil, Dechambau, Finau, and Kooch. If Kisner finishes strong, I could be talked into replacing one of the last 3 (whoever was playing the worst over the last stretch). Until this weekend, Kisner was not playing well for the past few months.

I would not use Woods. I just dont think he's a good Ryder Cup partner. I want a guy that can putt and be trusted off the tee. He's neither. And he's not a guy I want to put out for a 36 hole day, which limits your lineup options/flexibility right off the bat.
_lefraud_
AG
Furyk is stuck between a rock and a hard spot with regards to Tiger, who is also a Vice Captain. Tiger is a great singles player, but below average in four-ball and foursomes during the Ryder Cup. Tiger has actually been great in foursomes during the President's Cup with a 11-4 record. Furyk doesn't want to be the guy to NOT choose Woods, but Tiger's record speaks for itself during the Ryder Cup. Tiger hasn't been part of a winning team in almost 20 years, and I've got to think he wants to be a playing member of the team.

I just don't see how Furyk can't pick Tiger.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If Tiger performs well at the PGA, then that will give Furyk the ammo he needs to add him. I don't think that necessarily puts their best team together, but he'll do it anyway. But if he misses the cut or finishes near the bottom of the field, it will get more interesting.
treetop flyer
Xander and Harman stand out.
_lefraud_
AG
Last time we saw Tiger in a team event was 2013 when he went 3-1 paired with Kuchar. If Tiger does get picked, it'll be interesting to see who he is teamed with, as Tiger has always been teamed with older guys like Stricker, Furyk and O'meara, etc. How would Tiger do with some of the younger guys, or even DJ? Could he and DeChambeau nerd out together?
cheeky
AG
I'd take Schauffele, Finau, Kuchar and one of Mickelson or Woods.
LHIOB
AG
If you do take Tiger hes prob only playing 3 matches
jj9000
AG
Wish we had more Patrick Reeds...

Telling them how badly he's gonna beat them
Beating them badly
Telling them how badly he just beat them
12thMan2012
AG
Europe will show up this year with Rahm, Molinari, Fleetwood, Rory and Rose, all in the top 20 in strokes gained off the tee (another if Stenson is selected, and Sergio is top 20 on Euro tour), we only have 2 players that are currently qualified for the team in the top 20 and one of them is Bubba.

SG-Off the Tee of the guys on the bubble
Simpson - 138
---------------------
Chappell - 10
Dechambeau - 15
Finau - 33
Xander - 42
Zach Johnson - 95
Tiger - 119
Kuchar - 139
Kisner - 140
Mickelson - 146

In the past I've thought we had issues in our fourballs and foursomes because we didn't have enough guys that were long and straight (enough). We would have Tiger and Phil as our best players that couldn't find a fairway, then we'd have Furyk, Stricker and Johnson types that weren't particularly long. Whereas Europe has consistently shown up with a core of guys that are long and could hit fairways (Westwood, Stenson, Garcia, Rory, Rose, etc.) making it a lot easier to pair people up. Not the best putters, but putting is overrated in Ryder Cup.

BreNayPop
AG
12thMan2012 said:

Not the best putters, but putting is overrated in Ryder Cup.

The best performance i remember in the ryder cup was ian poulter, and that was all about putting... just saying. I dont think it is over rated, but each player is different.

I dont understand leaving Tiger off if he is still healthy. Id pick tiger for this team because he has been on these situations before (experience) and has been very good with strokes gained: total- 6th, off the tee- 6th, approach-3rd, around the green -4th, scoring-11th. Putting is 56th tho... still dont know how u leave that off the team.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, guys are WAY over thinking it on not including Tiger. Assuming he's still playing like he has the past few tournaments, no way he is left off the team.

His record is what it is, but keep in mind that he's been paired up with guys like Mark Calcavecchia, Chris Riley, Steve Pate, etc. He did team up with Phil in '04, when Tiger was going through a swing change (not playing his best) and we know how well they got along then.

In short, I thing people put a little too much stock in his record, as I'm not sure it's clear on why it is what it is. Again, I'd like to see him teamed with one of these young guys later this year in France.
Deluxe
AG
The current top 6 are 100% in:

Koepka
D. Johnson
Reed
Thomas
Watson
Spieth

Back in 2016, ~4,300 points was good enough to snag an automatic spot. After adjusting for inflation and recent trends, I think the magic number this year will be in the 4,800 range. All six players above have >5,000 points already.

Then you have Fowler at ~4,600 who seems like a virtual lock as well, as he basically has 6 more events (Bridgestone, PGA, playoffs) to snag 200 points. And even if Fowler does drop out of the top 8, he likely wouldn't fall too far beyond 9th or 10th, which would make him an all-but-certain captain's pick due to his experience, congeniality and ability to pair well with just about anyone.

That leaves five spots up in the air.

From there, I've always been under the assumption that Tiger and Phil will be on the team as captain's picks if they are in reasonably good form. I'm sure Furyk is rooting for one of of them to finish hot and make the team on points so that he doesn't have to use captain's picks on both. But for the sake of this exercise, seeing as the Ryder Cup is very important to both players at this stage in their careers, I'm going to assume that Tiger and Phil will finish the season in "good enough" form to warrant playing spots on the team.

That leaves three spots open for IMO seven players who each bring something a little different to the table...

Kuchar
Simpson
Schaufele
DeChambeau
Finau
Kisner
Z Johnson

Then you also have the possibility that someone like Patrick Cantlay, Daniel Berger, Kevin Chappell, Brian Harman or any number of other guys could finish the year on fire and leapfrog onto the team.

This is probably my favorite storyline as the 2018 season draws to a close. So much talent/depth on the American squad this year. Euros will be great too and they're always tough at home.
Deluxe
AG
How fun would this hypothetical Friday morning four ball be to kick off the Ryder Cup:

Fowler/Thomas vs Rose/Stenson
Tiger/Phil vs Garcia/Rahm
DJ/Koepka vs McIlroy/Pieters
Spieth/Reed vs Molinari/Poulter

12thMan2012
AG
Poulter was great that day, no doubt. But if I'm picking, give me guys like the Euros will probably pick in Stenson and Garcia that are going to consistently put the ball in the fairway in fourballs and foursomes and I'll take them over great putters.

Tiger is on the team no doubt and he should be, Phil too unfortunately. I'm speaking more to who I would pick with those last 2. Probably Finau and Dechambeau. Give me more guys that are good off the tee.
_lefraud_
AG
Finau is showing he can handle the big stage by finishing in the Top10 of the first three majors this season. He's got a chance to join an exclusive club if he can finish top10 at the PGA in a few weeks.
BreNayPop
AG
Agreed on finau... i think that last spot will declare themselves over the next 6 weeks as playing well (kisner finished last year well too and when he is on, he is damn good). I dont know what my problem is with dechambeau, but i hate that pick this year- maybe next go round. Harmon/kis/ schauffle/ finau are all better picks for my money... id love to see schauffle or kis over dechambeau.

Edit to add- i think my problem w dechambeau is most of his coverage has been focused on his clubs and intellect, not his ability. Just my poor opinion.
bagger05
AG
It is hard for me to imagine him as a really good teammate. Strikes me as a bit of a lone wolf, lost in his thoughts, only concerned with what he's doing.

I've never met the guy so he could be a great teammate. If I was Furyk I'd be calling all his teammates from SMU to see what they have to say about him.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Same thing was said about Reed before his first cup. Tiger apparently really likes him so that's one possible pairing. His stats this season a pretty good. Unless he just falls apart I think he belongs.
Goody
AG
I believe that Furyk has already said that Phil/Tiger will not be paired together.
WhoopN06
I'm out on Harmon. I picked him at the US Open and The Open. He was terrible in both. He was on fire early in the year but he's slumping now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.