Getting Fit

13,472 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jab
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many on here have gotten fit?

Did you do woods/irons/wedges/putter?

Did you end up buying everything you got fit for?

Did they give you better specs for your current equipment? i.e. if your irons were too short, lengthen them and update the lie.

My wife got me a fitting for our anniversary, and I'm curious as to how poor I'm about to be.
jj9000
AG
Most fitters are in business to sell you equipment.

Unless you specifically tell the fitter you like your gear, and you want to make sure the L/L/L are to your spec, they will try to put you into new equipment.

Keep in mind that you've paid for the fitters time, and usage of their gear. That's it.

You're not obligated to buy anything from them.

They'll set you up in certain gear based on your feedback and preferences. For example, I told the guy at Club Champion not to waste his time with Nike or Callaway gear because I have an abnormal dislike for each brand.

They usually try to hone in on iron or driver heads first. Then when they narrow it down to 2 or 3 options, they'll start fine tuning with shafts. Then, (if using Trackman) they'll plot your shots and make a suggestion based on your best numbers.

If you're not intending on purchasing from the fitter (I wouldn't), make sure you get your spec sheets.

Then, call up Discount Dan's and get the same gear built to your specs by the OEM for about half the price.

khaos288
AG
Thanks! The last part was definitely my plan. I've heard so many stories of people being quite 4-5k for a bag full of pretty standard stuff
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
khaos288 said:

Thanks! The last part was definitely my plan. I've heard so many stories of people being quite 4-5k for a bag full of pretty standard stuff
I'd recommend going to PGA Tour SS and at least narrow it down to a few models before you start. You don't want to waste time in your fitting demoing every club available. I did this enough times to know I was probably looking at AP2s or a couple Mizuno models. And, from gaming experience, I already knew I was happy with Vokey wedges.
khaos288
AG
Yeah I've got a few models I'm interested in. I'll give them my list and ask for a suggestion or two on top.

I'm really interested in driver and woods with their respective shafts. I've never really fit into a shaft
Aggie369
AG
Be open to hitting all iron/driver heads....I ended up getting irons I had never looked at and dont necessarily like the look of. I hit them by far the best and they are by far the most forgiving.
rosco511
AG
I also recommend going in with an open mind. No need to limit yourself to a specific brand or model if end up hitting something better.
07fta07
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

khaos288 said:

I'd recommend going to PGA Tour SS and at least narrow it down to a few models before you start. You don't want to waste time in your fitting demoing every club available. I did this enough times to know I was probably looking at AP2s or a couple Mizuno models. And, from gaming experience, I already knew I was happy with Vokey wedges.

My recommendation is don't do this
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Fittings are usually timed. The first one I had we tried so many combinations of irons and shafts, I walked out no closer to a selection than when I walked in. I'm not saying he shouldn't keep an open mind; but, how do you approach this if you haven't at least narrowed it down to a few models?

I'm honestly asking.
07fta07
AG
They should allow you enough time to narrow down heads and then shafts. If you don't like something, it shouldn't take you more than a few swings to figure that out. A good fitter should be able to steer you in the right direction so you aren't hitting a bunch of stuff you're not going to like.

I feel like hitting things ahead of time to narrow down the options doesn't give you the open mind you need going into a fitting.

I hit probably 7-8 heads and 3-4 shafts when I did my iron fitting. Finished fairly quickly and got exactly what I needed.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
But doesn't it give you an idea of the heads you prefer? There are SO many combinations of heads and shafts I don't see how you could delve into each in ONE fitting session. I agree having a good fitter is imperative but I have hard time going in with nothing at all in mind. You have to start somewhere. Moreover, how many fitters have the hardware to give you every manufacturer/combination under the sun?

You've got to narrow to SOME degree, no?
Mr.Bond
AG
Dude........ You go through clubs like I do underwear
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

khaos288
AG
I've been pretty stable except putters.

I got that driver from you the beginning of the year and ended up keeping some irons I was gonna sell. That's way better than most years.
rosco511
AG
A good fitter first figures out the shaft and then the heads. Once you get the right shaft, you then go through the heads to get the proper fit so does not take that long. All you need is about 4 to 5 shots per head once you figure out the right shaft.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
7-8 heads and 3-4 shafts doesn't scratch the surface of what's available in today's market.

You honestly saying you went into that without giving the fitter any indication of what you wanted?
terradactylexpress
Yes it does.

If you are a scratch golfer you aren't going to be looking at game improvement clubs and if you are a 25+ you don't need to waste time with blades
07fta07
AG
Of course I gave them an indication. I said I'm a low single digit handicap and I don't want a game improvement iron or a blade. That narrows the field quite a bit. I also was previously playing KBS Tour shafts that I spun like crazy and had a ballooning ball flight, so I knew I needed a shaft change also.

A few swings with the AP2, Apex, Titleist CB and I knew I didn't want those. A few swings with the DG shaft and the KBS C Taper and I knew I didn't want those.

Quickly narrowed down to a TM and Mizuno head and played around with those on a few shafts. I hit the majority of balls in my fitting with 2 heads and 2 shafts.
Aggie369
AG
This is how its done....be broad in describing what u want. Let trackman show you what you need
khaos288
AG
Wow...

Driver, 24 more yards and the worst misses were better than the best misses with my old set up.

Irons, gained about a club in distance and gained a ton of stability. My old irons were borderline regular and my new ones are x stiff. I was overloading my shaft beyond belief.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Nice.

What did you wind up getting fit for?
khaos288
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Nice.

What did you wind up getting fit for?
Epic driver with Accra Tour Z 75g M5 Extra Stiff
Epic 3 wood with Accra 72i M5 Extra Stiff
Removed 5 wood from bag
3 Hybrid is my Cobra utility but with KBS tour steel shaft 130g X
4-PW is same Cobra Forged Tec heads with new KBS tour steel shaft 130g X
SW/LW King Cobra Classic grind wedges with same shaft as above.

The driver and 3 wood are new, but just had to get a shaft that fit into my same heads. Apparently I was overloading my c-taper lites so much that it was impossible to hit a straight shot.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
just getting back into playing after a 3+ year layoff. was not very good before the layoff, but loved it. trying to decide if it's worth me getting fitted now or if i should wait and spend the money on lessons instead.

i'm 6'6" and hitting my old irons (titleist 775cb). i was "fitted" for them when i bought them at that old golf shop in college station off of texas. by "fitted" i mean they measured my arms/reach and slapped 2" (if i remember correctly) on them and called it a day. my 4 and 5 irons feel too short.

also curious if it's worth it for someone like me to go to one of the higher end fitters always mentioned in these threads or if a big box is sufficient.

i'm in dallas.
khaos288
AG
I definitely say get a few lessons, and when you feel your swing is consistent, go get fit.

And I highly recommend Steve at compugolf. He fit me in a heart beat, and gave me lessons with the remaining time I paid for. Plus I think they've got a full bag for 250 special right now.
investorAg83
AG
ruddyduck said:

just getting back into playing after a 3+ year layoff. was not very good before the layoff, but loved it. trying to decide if it's worth me getting fitted now or if i should wait and spend the money on lessons instead.

i'm 6'6" and hitting my old irons (titleist 775cb). i was "fitted" for them when i bought them at that old golf shop in college station off of texas. by "fitted" i mean they measured my arms/reach and slapped 2" (if i remember correctly) on them and called it a day. my 4 and 5 irons feel too short.

also curious if it's worth it for someone like me to go to one of the higher end fitters always mentioned in these threads or if a big box is sufficient.

i'm in dallas.

I'd say yes and yes.

I wouldn't go to a big box store (I went to Golftech in east Plano). Whether it's worth getting fitted again...I'm not sure. But with your height I probably would.
jja79
AG
khaos288 said:

Wow...

Driver, 24 more yards and the worst misses were better than the best misses with my old set up.

Irons, gained about a club in distance and gained a ton of stability. My old irons were borderline regular and my new ones are x stiff. I was overloading my shaft beyond belief.
I can't imagine anyone half way serious about golf not getting fit. My 15 year old has been fit over the past 4 year I guess and recently was refit for new irons and driver. He's working so he's not able to play as often as he wants so he's been somewhat scuffling with the new stiffer shafts and different lie angle. This past week he took everything else off his plate and spent lots of time practicing each day. I rode with him while he played 18 yesterday afternoon and he had 169 somewhat uphill to a front pin. With his old clubs he hit 7 iron 160 or maybe just a bit longer. Now that he's comfortable with the stiffer shafts he sailed this approach shot over the flag and over flew the green by 15 yards or so. We just looked at each other. I'd say overall he was 20 yards longer just having the right shaft.

I don't understand the argument to wait until you have a consistent swing to get fit. The swing you get consistent with will be grooved to the wrong equipment. Get the right equipment and build your swing to that.
htownag2007
AG
Let's say that you were an 8 handicap, currently playing g10 irons that you were fitted for 10 years ago (without a monitor) and an Epic driver that you hit pretty decent and consistent that you bought off of ebay.
You have a club champion voucher for iron or driver fitting. Which do you do?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
htownag2007 said:

Let's say that you were an 8 handicap, currently playing g10 irons that you were fitted for 10 years ago (without a monitor) and an Epic driver that you hit pretty decent and consistent that you bought off of ebay.
You have a club champion voucher for iron or driver fitting. Which do you do?

I'd bring both to the fitter and he might tell you which one you can make a better impact on.

Any recent fitting deals in DFW for those of us that missed the CostCo deal a couple of weeks ago?
khaos288
AG
Compugolf is 249 for full bag right now. That's half off, and def recommend
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
khaos288 said:

Compugolf is 249 for full bag right now. That's half off, and def recommend
Interesting. They've never come up before. Is that where you went? What all is included in the full bag fitting?
I assume they just give you the numbers and you can go get the bag elsewhere?
khaos288
AG
I got driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 4-gw, sw, lw, and putter fit.

The putter was just specs adjusted on my current stick.

The irons were just shafts as my heads were about as good performance as anything I hit.

Driver and 3w were new heads and shafts to go with.

he gave me a spec sheet and explained all the things he tried and what not. I bought one shaft from him bc the fitting was so cheap and I wanted to give him some business. The rest I bought elsewhere
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
khaos288 said:

I got driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 4-gw, sw, lw, and putter fit.

The putter was just specs adjusted on my current stick.

The irons were just shafts as my heads were about as good performance as anything I hit.

Driver and 3w were new heads and shafts to go with.

he gave me a spec sheet and explained all the things he tried and what not. I bought one shaft from him bc the fitting was so cheap and I wanted to give him some business. The rest I bought elsewhere
Good to know.
Thanks for the info.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

This is how its done....be broad in describing what u want. Let trackman show you what you need

Have to disagree here. I was fitted for my current driver,'17 M1, at Club Champion. The stats said this was the club, but there were other clubs that felt better to me. It was great at first but it didn't take long for the shots that didn't feel so good to end up not being very good. It wrecked my confidence and I started spraying my drives. I went back to my '13 Titleist driver and hit much more accurate drives, albeit a little shorter.

When I get my next driver, I'm going to make sure I get fit in an outdoor setting. I want to see and feel my shots and pick the club that suits me personally, not get hung up on stats. Let the fitter worry about the stats, you focus on what feels/looks right.
07fta07
AG
It's a combo of what feels/looks right to you and the numbers from the monitor. If it doesn't feel or look right, don't get it. But you need to take the numbers into consideration in addition to finding something that fits your eye.
E
AG
Try a Titleist Thursday's... they do free fittings at select ranges/courses
jonj101
Anyone have a suggested fitter in Houston beside Club Champion?

Went with them some years ago and I think I want to try someone else, but not the Golf Galaxy route.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.