Sweetwater CC - Cypress

1,449 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jonj101
Bobaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter has US Amateur qualifying in a couple weeks. Any insight on the course?
David_Puddy
AG
No info, but Sweetwater is not in Cypress, it's in Sugarland
Ezra Brooks
AG
I have a buddy who gave up his membership a year ago to move to Sugar Creek.

He had been complaining about the management there and overall conditioning of the facilities for several years. He still texts me every couple of months saying how much happier he is at his new club.

The management there just took advantage of the large membership. They had been owned/managed by the really bad "Palmer Golf Management" group who had a really bad reputation for running some good courses into the ground in Houston - see Longwood and Southwyck as examples. They sold out to a Chinese group of investors who haven't been any better.

In my experience both courses are good layouts but the conditions that I saw the courses in last year and the on-going reports about them from my buddy make me surprised that they were able to secure a USGA Qualifier.

Best of luck to your daughter.
Bobaloo
Correct...Sugarland
Ezra Brooks
AG
The USGA website shows the even being held on the Pecan course but my buddy just texted me that it'll be on the Cypress course.

Either way, he says both courses aren't in any shape to be hosting this event.
HouAggie
AG
There has been a new mgmt team there for the past 7 or so months. I've heard good things. I've also heard that both courses are in nice shape right now.

And lastly, we're talking womens/girls us am qualifying here, not the us open/masters/etc. Immaculate conditions should hardly be the expectation.
Rlcoker
AG
Cypress refers to the course. Sweetwater has two courses, Pecan and Cypress.
jonj101
I hadn't heard much about Sweetwater, but the last I heard about Sugarcreek was that it was in bad shape due to management. Have they turned that place around?
malenurse
AG
Quote:

No info, but Sweetwater is not in Cypress, it's in Sugarland
Quote:

Correct...Sugarland

You're both wrong. It's Sugar Land
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Ezra Brooks
AG
jonj101 said:

I hadn't heard much about Sweetwater, but the last I heard about Sugarcreek was that it was in bad shape due to management. Have they turned that place around?
They've redone all 27 holes in the last few years.

I've only been out to play with him once, but I was impressed and liked it more than Sweetwater myself. He continues to rave about it as he approaches the one year mark of his change.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I actually think it's being held on the Cypress Point course at Sugartree Country Club in Sweetland
K Bo
AG
I have a buddy that recently joined Sugar Creek. In the couple times I've played with him, over the last month, the course was in good shape and the greens were in great shape.
jonj101
Good to hear its improved and people are happy with it.

I may try to get a reciprocal round or something on there and check it out. From what I understand it was originally a Robert Trent Jones course, and I've always had fun rounds on his courses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.