Pinehurst - Quick Trip

2,615 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieBaker09
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm have a weekend in Pinehurst, and Im planning on getting 36 in (maybe 54 if I can swing it).

Which courses would you recommend for such a trip? They could be part of the Pinehurst resort or not connected at all - I anticipate I'll go back some time in the future to have a longer experience and better appreciation of the place.
07fta07
AG
I'm going in September and we settled on Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, and Pine Needles. This was after talking to quite a few people who have made the trip out there.
Matsui
AG
2 and then another course on site there
skippytimmy
AG
2 and 7
Schooner
AG
2, 7 and the Cradle...just played in May, it was a near religious experience.
Doc4rock
AG
2 then either 1 or 3
RikHaze
AG
On property: 2 and 8

Mix: 2 and Dormie Club

Stay away from 9, that course was so very boring.
BreNayPop
AG
2 and 7/8/1 in that order if i get to play 36.

Although the cradle mention above is a good one.
champagnepapi
Play #2 last to really leave that amazing lasting impression of what Pinehurst is all about. Following your round, enjoy some great food and a cold one at "The Deuce" as it overlooks the 18th Green of #2. Grab a caddy and avoid the cart to take it all in.

Before hitting your next course, play a round at the new short course called "The Cradle". It's a fun way to work on your short game and you'll find your way on some challenging greens! You get issued an old leather and cloth bag that you'll put a few clubs in and walk around with that. Fully loaded drink cart at hole 4, you'll pass it again after the 8th green.

I enjoyed playing #6 and that course beat me up, but Pine Needles is a great course too. There is now a True Spec location on the driving range now.

Head to Drum and Quill in downtown Pinehurst for lunch/dinner and get the Pimento Sandwich on Sunflower Bread. Mostly lunch spots around Pinehurst but "Elliot's on Linden" offers amazing farm to table atmosphere and great wine selection for dinner.

In Southern Pines, try Chef Warrens or Chapman's for dinner as well. Head to The Leadmine for an outstanding Whiskey Bar offering small Mexican-Korean fusion plates as well.

Lastly, Southern Pines Growler Company has over 30 beers on tap offering a wide selection of North Carolina Craft Brew.

I would stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village. Beautiful rooms and suites and located next to some good grocery and food options. Spend more money on the course rather than the expensive resort rooms! There is a small putting green outback too.

I live here. HOT AS HELL right now but still amazing.

jonj101
Awesome - thanks for all the local info. It sounds like #2 is a must play from all the comments. I'll figure out the others to insert as well from the suggestions.

The way my schedule is breaking down is that I fly out Sunday afternoon from Raleigh, so at most I'll get in 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday before the drive back in to catch my flight. Might be tough to save #2 for Sunday morning in that situation - I wouldn't want to be rushed and not be able to take it all in.
Dr. Alister MacKenzie
Pine needles
AggieBaker09
AG
I'm going in August for 4 days and we are playing Dormie Club, Pine Needles, Talamore Mid-South, Tobacco Road, and #9.
07fta07
AG
AggieBaker09 said:

I'm going in August for 4 days and we are playing Dormie Club, Pine Needles, Talamore Mid-South, Tobacco Road, and #9.

How'd you rank those? Just getting back from playing Dormie Club, Tobacco Road, and Pine Needles.

Dormie is one of the best courses I've ever played. Just an absolutely fantastic golf course. Tobacco was an interesting design to say the least, but a blast. Not one I'd want to play a lot, but a can't miss course. Enjoyed Pine Needles as well, but would be my least favorite of the three.

Already planning a return trip next year and will be sure to play Dormie again, add Mid Pines, and can't decide what else to do from there. Maybe Mid South? Maybe replay Tobacco?
billionaire
Since you live there I was just curious about Country Club of North Carolina. Its been years since I have been to Pinehurst , however, I always recall driving past it and being told it was a great track/club and pretty hard to get on. Whats the current story?
jonj101
My trip got cut short because I got sick, but I played 36 on one day - Dormie Club & Southern Pines Golf Club.

Although I didn't get to #2, as you mentioned, Dormie was amazing. It was one of those courses that felt like a pure golf experience. That was my first time playing a Coore & Crenshaw course, but because of it I'll be looking out for their courses more in the future.

The two guys that I was grouped with played Tobacco Road the previous day, and based on how they described the course, it sounds like something I'd like to play once just for the experience of doing so. Not that it sounded bad, but it sounded pretty tricked up. I drove by Pine Needles and Mid Pines and liked what I saw - those will be on the must do list for next time, as well as the resort courses that were recommended.

Champagnepapi's recommendations were spot on. Drum & Quill as well as Southern Pines Growler Company hit the spot. They were very packed when I went, but worth it.

After taking this trip for the first time from Houston, I can foresee this being a frequent trip for me when I have long weekends. Its an easy straight flight to Raleigh on Southwest, and the drive down to the Pinehurst area is only a little over an hour. Since I only care about using a room to shower and sleep, I tried out the Microtel Inn for around $50 bucks a night and it was all I needed. The rooms were fairly spartan and it probably wouldn't be the best place to stay if you were doing a guys trip, but it worked for me as a single. There are plenty of other options as well.

From the courses I did play, and checking out the resort courses and area, I was very impressed by my first trip to Pinehurst.
07fta07
AG
We'll be making many trips back there. You definitely have to play Tobacco at least once. I'd go back there for sure but it's not an everyday course. I was underwhelmed by Pine Needles, but maybe just because Tobacco and Dormie were that good. Needles was by no means bad, just didn't have the wow factor of the other two. I'm looking forward to Mid Pines next trip based on talking so several people/caddies when we were there.

Try Chapman's for lunch/dinner next time. Really good food including their lobster fries appetizer (fries smothered in lobster chowder)
AggieBaker09
AG
07fta07 said:

AggieBaker09 said:

How'd you rank those? Just getting back from playing Dormie Club, Tobacco Road, and Pine Needles.

Dormie is one of the best courses I've ever played. Just an absolutely fantastic golf course. Tobacco was an interesting design to say the least, but a blast. Not one I'd want to play a lot, but a can't miss course. Enjoyed Pine Needles as well, but would be my least favorite of the three.

Already planning a return trip next year and will be sure to play Dormie again, add Mid Pines, and can't decide what else to do from there. Maybe Mid South? Maybe replay Tobacco?
So we didn't end up playing Dormie Club. Not sure what happened, but my FIL couldn't make it work. Must have been timing with our other tee times. We ended up playing #5 on Thursday, Pine Needles Friday morning, #9 Friday afternoon, Tobacco Road on Saturday, and Mid-South on Sunday.

My favorite corse was probably Tobacco Road just because I have never played a course like that. Such a cool golf course with a lot of elevation changes and blind shots. All 5 courses were in phenomenal shape except for the greens on #5. The had recently sanded them so they were playing very slow. Made Pine Needles even more difficult since those greens were rolling fast. I wasn't as big of a fan of #9 due to the many dog-leg rights(damn you Nicklaus!!). I hit a draw so I struggled on that course.

If I were to rank them, I would go:
1. Tobacco Road (The course designer must have been nuts)
2. Pine Needles (I thought it was a great course even though I couldn't make a putt)
3. Mid-South (Barely beats #5. Just a great Palmer designed course and I shot a 77)
4. Pinehurst #5 (The best fairways I have ever played on but disappointed with the slow greens)
5. Pinehurst #9 (Still an awesome course but I struggled with placement off the tee)

I'm bummed that we didnt get to play Dormie Club based on your thoughts. I'll have to play it next time I go back.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.