Are newer drivers really better?

3,196 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieLitigator
Wildcat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The long: I've been putting off getting a new driver, mainly because all my golf budget has been going into the kids' bags and lessons. My daughter pulled the FT9 out of my bag because she wanted to try a stiffer shaft (hold the jokes; it's my daughter). She's loving it, but doesn't want to be fitted for a new driver until she's played more rounds. So I dusted off the the old Cleveland Launcher. It took about 10 shots on the range and I am hitting it as well as anything I've had in my hand in the last 5 years.

The short: I pulled out my 10+ year old driver and don't really notice a difference in distance or accuracy.

The question: Are the purported advancements in technology really all they are cracked-up to be
khaos288
AG
If it's 460cc and modern enough to max out cor and moi, then no, nothing new is going to be significantly different if the shaft fits you
Duckhook
AG
Last September I replaced a Burner Superfast 2.0 that I had played for about 5 years with a Ping G400. I did add 10+ yards with no effect on my dispersion. I'm a regular shaft guy normally, but the stiff shaft in the Ping worked best for me. Also wound up dialing the loft down from 9* to 8.5*. That combo has made a noticeable difference for me. Your results may vary, but I think it's worth exploring, especially with all of the adjustability of the newer drivers.
BigHitterDaLama
Duckhook said:

Last September I replaced a Burner Superfast 2.0 that I had played for about 5 years with a Ping G400. I did add 10+ yards with no effect on my dispersion. I'm a regular shaft guy normally, but the stiff shaft in the Ping worked best for me. Also wound up dialing the loft down from 9* to 8.5*. That combo has made a noticeable difference for me. Your results may vary, but I think it's worth exploring, especially with all of the adjustability of the newer drivers.
Oddly enough, I went from a Epic SZ back to my Superfast 2.0 driver and it has been night and day difference off the tee for me. A few yards shorter with the TM but much more consistent.....AND CONFIDENT.
AustinCountyAg
Take you old driver to a big box store and compare your results to newer drivers.

I also think the general consensus is the newer drivers to better on off center hits then the older drivers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the value with the modern driver resides in the ability to tune it as much as possible to your swing. Fitting shaft, loft, face open/closed, weighting, etc. Beyond that, I don't think there's a great deal of additional benefit from just general improvement. But getting that fit right can make a big impact.
Duckhook
AG
I had tried a number of different drivers the last couple of years, but the G400 was the first one that gave me a noticeable difference. Almost bought an Epic SZ, but glad I didn't now. I also can hit this Ping off the fairway, which is the first driver I've had in a while that I can do that with.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

The short: I pulled out my 10+ year old driver and don't really notice a difference in distance or accuracy.

Go to youtube and watch the Rick Shiels videos. Rick does some videos using Ping, TM, Callaway, etc. He tests each brands drivers over a 5-10 year period for accuracy and distance. Hits like 40 balls with each driver.

Results: little change in accuracy and each driver was within about 9 yards of each other.

So no....very little difference.
_lefraud_
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Duckhook said:

CONFIDENT.
This is the most important word on this thread.
Aggie369
AG
Biggest difference is forgiveness over that time frame
07fta07
AG
They're better, but getting the right shaft is more important than a new head.
BigHitterDaLama
_lefraud_ said:

BigHitterDaLama said:

Duckhook said:

CONFIDENT.
This is the most important word on this thread.
Amen, Lefraud.

BigHitterDaLama
Duckhook said:

I had tried a number of different drivers the last couple of years, but the G400 was the first one that gave me a noticeable difference. Almost bought an Epic SZ, but glad I didn't now. I also can hit this Ping off the fairway, which is the first driver I've had in a while that I can do that with.
If I were to switch to another driver, I would probably test G400 first.
Aggie369
AG
Absolutely
07fta07
AG
The G400 and the Rogue seem to be the best ones out right now.
Yesterday
AG
It won't matter much but the combination of the correct shaft and loft will be the biggest difference. Get that ball in the air with little spin and you'll see a major difference.
agracer
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Take you old driver to a big box store and compare your results to newer drivers.

I also think the general consensus is the newer drivers to better on off center hits then the older drivers.
Got fit at a Titleist Thursday (not for a driver) and I discussed the new drivers with the fitter and he basically said the same thing. The PGA has put so many restrictions on club construction, MOI, etc. that the new drivers don't go any further, they are just more forgiving on off center hits.
C ROC N
Yes, I recently installed my old shaft that I used in HS/College into my new M2 driver head. I certainly don't swing as hard when I graduated in 1993, but I am hitting the ball a good 30 yards further than I used too!! Well, is it the ball, well I had a sleeve of some old Titleist Balata 100's and it still goes 30 yards further!
Aggie369
AG
A 25 year old driver shaft put into an m2?
Pahdz
I've got an Adams Speedline Super S with a stiff shaft, and hit it fairly well, but a playing partner was demoing a G400 with an extra stiff shaft and let me hit it and I've never hit a driver better than that. I don't know it was the stiffer shaft or the head that made the difference though. I swing really hard so I'm thinking it was more the shaft. Now I'm debating putting a stiffer shaft on the old driver, or just buy a new one.
Aggie369
AG
I had same experience with my Callaway big bertha that I had from 2013....hit the g400 and had never hit anything better before. Had similar shafts and the g400 out performed my old driver in every way but the biggest difference was forgiveness especially on the toe
jj9000
AG
Aggie369 said:

I had same experience with my Callaway big bertha that I had from 2013....hit the g400 and had never hit anything better before. Had similar shafts and the g400 out performed my old driver in every way but the biggest difference was forgiveness especially on the toe
If you guys want to save a couple hundred bucks, go out and find a PING G30 or PING G from the prior releases. I've had the LST versions of G30 and G in the bag for years.

Other than sound, there's nominal differences between these Drivers. The PING Tour 65 shaft is the same shaft in the G400 as it is in prior releases, other than having a new paint job. Still the same UST Elements Chrome.

The G400 is 445cc and sounds much better than both G30 and G, but performance is virtually identical.

If the sound really bothers you, stuff a few cotton balls, or a couple of feet of yarn through the weight port hole.

Poof...your $150-$200 Driver just turned into a $400 G400.
Aggie369
AG
Probably right. Part of me just wanted a new driver after 5 years. It was hard enough finding a new left handed g400 lst in 8.5 degree with an extra stiff shaft to hit..not sure I could find an older model that I could hit before buying though....I know, I'm picky
Duckhook
AG
I hit the G30 a year or so before I bought the G400, and it just didn't work for me. Maybe it was the shaft.

As an aside, if anybody wants to try a different shaft in the G30, G, or G400, I have an after market Xtorsion stiff shaft. I hit it at a Ping demo day after I already had my G400. Hit it great on the range but just didn't work on the course. I'll make somebody a great deal. The connector is supposed to fit all 3 models.
Philip J Fry
AG
case04
AG
I agree, the shaft will make the major difference.
AggieLitigator
case04 said:

I agree, the shaft will make the major difference.

That's what she said
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.