Speaking of clown golf, some hypothetical fun rule changes

1,623 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I spend way too much time fantasizing about watching the pros play one tournament where there are kinds of crazy rules. For example,

-One mulligan per round off the tee
-One time per round where you get a gimme inside 5 feet
-One time per round where you can move your ball two club lengths in any direction with no penalty
-Some sort of wager that a golfer can call at any time to where, if he gets his ball inside a certain distance, say, inside 2 feet on a 30 foot putt, or within 10 feet on a 150 yard shot, it counts as a made stroke, but if you fail to make it, you still have to putt out and add a penalty stroke

There are endless others you could come up with, but I would be glued to the television if there were one event a year with some sort of stuff like that. I would love to see the strategy for example of when to use the tee mulligan and whether to save it for the very end, or when to use your gimme. I think it would be fascinating.
powerbelly
AG
I would love if the fall season had one event that was tricked up like this.
_lefraud_
AG
- pros carry their own bag
- pros can wear shorts
- pros can only carry 7 clubs
- pros can use no tees, only sand like they used back in the day
- pros can't mark their ball on the green
- pros can use golf carts
- a stableford type tournament where you get bonus points for FIR, GIR

A shamble/scramble type tournament where you have 3 man teams:
- holes 1-6 player 1 tees off, player 2&3 hit approach, player 1 putts
- holes 7-12 player 2 tees off, player 1&3 hit approach, player 2 putts
- holes 13-18 player 3 tees off, player 1&2 hit approach, player 3 putts
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd like to see a "one club" tournament. Silly season doesn't really exist anymore, but a one-time event would be fun.

The Ticket used to host one a long time ago that I played in a few times. Really fun, but it would be amazing to see the variety of shots these guys are capable of hitting with one club. Could do a really small field (8-12 players), pay an appearance fee, and use the shot tracker technology. Just make it a one round 18 hole tournament.
tlfw378
AG
Play a US Open on these classic golf courses to the original design and not USGA interference, but all the pros play with old design golf balls and wooden shafted old mashies and clubs relative to the course design date. Classic course, with classic clubs and classic balls...
stick93
AG
I'd like to see an event where they jacked with the height/speed of the greens and on the last day they were aerated and top dressed.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
_lefraud_ said:

- pros carry their own bag
- pros can wear shorts
- pros can only carry 7 clubs
- pros can use no tees, only sand like they used back in the day
- pros can't mark their ball on the green
- pros can use golf carts
- a stableford type tournament where you get bonus points for FIR, GIR

A shamble/scramble type tournament where you have 3 man teams:
- holes 1-6 player 1 tees off, player 2&3 hit approach, player 1 putts
- holes 7-12 player 2 tees off, player 1&3 hit approach, player 2 putts
- holes 13-18 player 3 tees off, player 1&2 hit approach, player 3 putts
Speaking of which, DJ and Koepka were killing me yesterday. I realize it's the U.S Open and the greens are slick, but honestly, neither of them would finish ANY putt, no matter how short, without marking, picking up, and waiting for the other guy to putt.

They were marking 18" tap-ins for Chrissake... You're a professional golfer; you can tap one in without aligning the damn marking on your ball.

/rant over
Funky Winkerbean
AG
6" hole and a course under 6500 yds with no rough, no bunkers, no trees, perfect greens.
powerbelly
AG
They should play one tourney a year at a muni goat track.
dodger02
AG
Not really a rules change event...but I liked watching those Wide World of Golf shows (or whatever they were called).

Have top PGA tour players play one-on-one events at some of these really gorgeous non-tour stop courses that us lol-poors don't get to experience.

Even better - and more relatable - have them play at public courses with a greens fee < $100. Let's see how a tour pro plays on a course without meticulously manicured greens, rough that includes some areas of hardpan, and bunkers that aren't raked well.

Last time I was out at Horseshoe Bay, there were two tour pros (can't remember which ones...but they were top 50-75 players, as I recall) set to play a mid-week exhibition. That would have been interesting to see.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
powerbelly said:

They should play one tourney a year at a muni goat track.
Just play it at Dallas National.
/HoustontoDallas
jgh85Ag
AG
All bunkers lined with hard clay and no more than 1/2 inch of sand covering the clay.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
jgh85Ag said:

All bunkers lined with hard clay and no more than 1/2 inch of sand covering the clay.
Been a while since I've played Windrose...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jgh85Ag said:

But they would get free relief from the pool of water in the middle due to a misaligned sprinkler head?
jja79
AG
No mowing the greens or raking the bunkers during the 4 days of the tournament.
Demosthenes81
AG
Shot clock

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
muni goat track, 3 beers a side min and breakfast ball off the tee. Gimmies inside the leather.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Use equipment from the '70's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.