Aerification notices

4,229 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DallasAggie89
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to know when courses have punched their greens, or will punch their greens, just so people don't get surprised when they show up.

I know there has been some good positive feedback about my course - Falconhead (Austin), but they are punching greens Monday June 18th and Tuesday June 19th. They are offering $20 off the rack rate, which is not much of a discount to play punched greens, IMHO.

Greens are the best I have ever seen them out there so of course now is the time to punch :/

HTH

investorAg83
AG
They punched Sherrill Park number 1 about 3 weeks ago. They're in great shape.
Aggie369
AG
Cypress lakes were punched couple weeks back
Thisguy1
It amazes me how some courses don't know when they're doing it. We've been calling Concan seemingly every week to plan our round on our vacation and every time we call they either say they have no idea, sometime in June, or that they're going to ask and call back and don't.

Last year we got screwed because we played on a Monday and they had the front 9 closed off, so we're trying to avoid that this year.
lknapp
Had my course scheduled for last month until 17" of rain hit.. Punched wall to wall this week.. Weather, tournaments, equipment issues are all things that could delay aerofication..
investorAg83
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to know when courses have punched their greens, or will punch their greens, just so people don't get surprised when they show up.

I know there has been some good positive feedback about my course - Falconhead (Austin), but they are punching greens Monday June 18th and Tuesday June 19th. They are offering $20 off the rack rate, which is not much of a discount to play punched greens, IMHO.

Greens are the best I have ever seen them out there so of course now is the time to punch :/

HTH

Good to know about FH...was going to try to get on next Friday afternoon.

Any other course recommendations? Coming in from Dallas for my bach party...
jja79
AG
We were at a corporate event at Hyatt Hill Country last week and all 27 holes had been punched and sanded. I couldn't believe they charged for the rounds.

Our club back in Houston closes for 14-17 days when they aerate the fairways, grees, tee boxes.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Grey Rock for somewhat same part of town. Other than that possibly some of the courses north like Star Ranch or Avery Ranch might work. I can't speak to the conditions of any of them although 2 weeks ago Gray Rock was nice.

investorAg83
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Grey Rock for somewhat same part of town. Other than that possibly some of the courses north like Star Ranch or Avery Ranch might work. I can't speak to the conditions of any of them although 2 weeks ago Gray Rock was nice.

Thanks!
The Milkman
AG
I saw online Moody Gardens did it at the end of May. Anyone been since then who could report on condition? I'm supposed to go on Wednesday
G-Town Cracker
AG
Harbour Town just punched theirs
_lefraud_
AG
Squaw Valley in Glen Rose punched the Links course two weeks ago and punching the Lakes course next week...unfortunately a lot of courses don't have the luxury of having 36 holes available.
Bobaloo
Traditions this past week. Greens are pretty rough right now.
Trinity Ag
S
Bobaloo said:

Traditions this past week. Greens are pretty rough right now.
They punched last Monday.

By midweek they should be tracking.
Oknows
AG
Blackhorse South was done recently.
FTAco07
AG
Tenison Highlands in Dallas was punched last week. I would give it another week or so if you don't enjoy putting on a plinko board.
KidDoc
AG
Campus course punched two weeks ago and the Greens on the 14th were still a bit shaggy and slow but not bad.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldag00
AG
KidDoc said:

Campus course punched two weeks ago and the Greens on the 14th were still a bit shaggy and slow but not bad.
I played there late in the day on Saturday, 6/16. The greens rolled decently well, they were just a bit slow still.
AggieC07
AG
I think golf now has a warning on their app if the greens are punched.
Quinn
AG
How long does it normally take greens to recover from this? I was hoping to make it out to Sweeten's Cove when I'm in Tennessee next Thursday, but I called and they said they are punching the greens on Monday. Sounds like it's likely not worth playing now, right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Usually pretty bad the first week. Improving the 2nd and not too bad by the end of two weeks. Although it will be a good 3-4 weeks before it's pretty much back to normal.
07fta07
AG
My experience if they punch Monday is they pretty much suck the first weekend. Are definitely playable the 2nd weekend. Essentially unnoticeable by the 3rd weekend.
Turf96
Two parts of info. While it may seem like evrytime that your home course gets good and you are bringing in the friends to play the wicked greenskeeper chooses to punch holes, it really isn't you. It has to do with multiple issues. Are they punching for air and water movement? Are they attempting to remove thatch build up? Also it is very scientific as to when is best. Moisture, tempature, and when they can do it are all part of the equation. Making your home greens great really is a multiple pronged approach. There are several ways to aid in air movement and thatch management. Vertical morning, grooming, topdressing, fertilization, and water management all play a big part. While many feel the maintenance just does it to piss you off that just isn't true. A good supt. is as close to your greens as he is to his wife. For me I always watched the new plug, when changing cups, for many signs. Root depth, root color, sand moisture and consistency, thatch layer, and even smell. A great course shouldn't plan when to punch 6 weeks out but punch when it is best for the course. A great program knows when and how often by observation not hitting somebodies calendar. Sure you have major events you work around.

Second is how long it takes to heal. Many factors here as well. I will say higher end courses tend to heal faster. Way to many factors to list but it comes down to man power and equipment in many cases. The more man power and newer equipment make the punch be much cleaner. Running equipment at designed speeds helps greatly. Clean punch heals much faster. Even how fast you get the holes filled back in makes a difference. I wanted sand in the green within 1 hour of last hole punch on that green. Many muni just don't have that man power. How you drag new sand in and even sand quality matter. How are the greens rolled back in for smoothness. Add to that when do they make first mow after and how good are the blades. Mowing fresh sand destroyes bed knives. All of that along with how the nutrient load is before the punch all have an impact on outcome. As listed above 1-2 weeks. That being said I've seen high end courses punch and have great greens 3-4 days later. It all has to do with quality of job, knowledge, -and size and kind of hole punched.

Greens staffs catch way too much flack for what they do. Some suck yes but most are very skilled at what they do. If you want your course punched less take care of the course. Driving your fat butt down the middle of the fairway with a cooler full of beer and your 100 pound golf bag that you look like a dooms day prepper all impact the frequency of maintenance needed. I encourage you all to care for the course and educate yourselves where you can and you will be less concerned about a few little dimples on a green. I know you pay a lot to play but I could share some budget numbers with you guys and you would see owning a golf course is a loss many times. Labor, equipment, and fuel eat up a budget quick. Want to complain about being taken advantage of look at the goods in the pro shop. The course you pay to play has almost no mark up. The shirt you wear my friend and the ball you hit in the drink robbed you blind.

Don't know if you can find it but as an ex supt. See if you can find a poem by Edgar Gist called proof of a golfer. If I find it I will post it. Gave it to a few members back in my day and they almost always became my friend and productive members. Really is about working together.

Hope this helps and doesn't hack any off. I gave up Golf Maintenance a while back. Not best field to raise a family in. I have worked US opens, worked on national top 100 couses and built more than 1 top 50 Texas course. I give this info freely to hope to help you understand why you putt over bumpy greens and why they can't tell you exact dates. It isn't to be a bad product. It is due to the complexity. Many times if greens are terrible be nice and ask if any help can be done. Sometimes they will give you half off next round. Most the time if a course will not work with you it is because they are strapped for cash. You don't build or run a course to get rich. I promise you that.

Hope you find great greens but most of all peace and relaxation out on the old course. Here's to hitting it pure and high and dry.
Mr.Bond
AG
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

powerbelly
AG
I dont mind aerated greens. It gives me an excuse for my ****ty putting.
Ag_07
AG
Thanks for the info. That was a fantastic and well said post. Really good stuff

And me personally, I don't get upset at punched greens. What I get upset at (and the reason for a thread like this) is that courses don't typically tell you when you book a tee time that their greens have been punched.

Different situation for private courses, but since I don't play a private course I'd like to know because that could influence where I play and/or gives me an expectation when I do show up. Often times it's just show up and see the greens were punched yesterday and you're SOL.

I do wish more golfers would pay attention to course condition and repair ball marks, use 90* rule, etc etc.
CapCity12thMan
AG
what is everyone's theory about filling divots with sand on tee boxes? I have heard this leads to crowning of the tee box...had never heard this before until this weekend, but it makes sense. I was told a couple of private clubs specifically make a point to tell their members not to fill divots on tee boxes.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I have no issue with aeration. Just one of those maintenance items that's a must to keep a course in good shape. But to the point above, the only issue that comes up at times is a lack of communication about it. And even if it's been done, it doesn't necessarily scare me away, although I at least prefer to avoid it the first 3-4 days after it's been done.
DadAG10
A note from our super:

Hello all, here are some things that my team and I are working on to make your club and course the best it can be. I want you to know that I'm attempting to address two areas at once.1. The overall health and longevity of the putting green complexes and 2. The playability/speed/smoothness of these areas.

* We completed the planned solid tine aerification this past Tuesday and it was very successful. Even without pulling a core, this accomplished the gas exchange we wanted as well as venting the greens for water/nutrients/air etc. The playability will improve very quickly from this process and I anticipate the greens being very good for the upcoming weekend.

* I also verticut the greens in two different directions in an ongoing process of removing a very prominent thatch layer. This thatch layer, just under the surface of the greens, can be very detrimental to the playability of the course. It acts like a sponge, trapping water, fertilizer and other materials that we are applying to the greens to improve their health. The goal here is to create and cultivate "firmness" by removing this troublesome layer which eventually will lead to speed. This process combined with topdressing will help us achieve this goal.

* You will see some marking on the greens from this process. I expect these areas to show for the next two to three weeks and subside quickly after that point.

* I will be "brushing" greens at least twice a week. This process also helps with thatch and will "stand up" the grass blades and encourage upright growth. This helps me get a better cleaner cut and will begin to pay dividends if we consistently continue this practice.

* I'm applying a growth regulator combination to the greens once a week. This application will "shrink" the plants and improve smoothness and eventually equate to speed increases. This week is week 3 in this process and I'm seeing some very positive results.

As always, feel free to ask me questions anytime! See you at the Club very soon!
Swollen Thumb
AG
ETA: disregard first one posted...here is the one you referenced.

The Proof of a Golfer - by Edgar Albert Guest

The proof of the pudding is the eating they say,
But the proof of a golfer is not
The number of strokes he takes in a day
Or the skill he puts into a shot.
There is more to the game than the score which you make
Here's a truth which all golfers endorse:
You don't prove your worth by the shots which you make;
But the care which you take of the course.

A golfer is more than a ball-driving brute
He is more than a mug-hunting czar.
To be known as a golfer, you don't have to shoot,
The course of your home club in par.
But you do have to love every blade of the grass,
Every inch of the fairway and greens.
If you don't take care of the course as you pass,
You're not what "a good golfer" means.

Just watch a good golfer some day when you're out,
And note what he does as he plays,
He never goes on leaving divots about,
Till the grass is put back, there he stays.
Observe him in traps as he stands for his shot,
Then note when the ball has been played,
He never unthinkingly turns from the spot,
Till he's covered the footprints he made.

You may brag of your scores and may boast of your skill,
You may think as a golfer you're good;
But if footprints you make, in traps you don't fill,
You don't love the game as you should.
For your attitude unto the sport you enjoy,
Isn't proven by brilliance or force;
The proof of a golfer - now get this my boy,
Is the care that you take of the course.
Turf96
Thank you so much. That is it. I encourage every golf course worker to pour your heart into the course. I also encourage every member, guest, or daily fee player to care for the course as you should. Let's be honest, it takes a team. I've worked most every side of the spectrum. Like I say I don't work golf any longer but my passion for quality golf still pulses thru my veins.

My intent wasn't to shoot anybody down for asking about punching holes. It was to help you better understand some of what goes into timing. Too bad not all pro shops will tell you up front. This leads to upset golfers. My point was to say that not always is it trying to be sneaky. Sometimes a rain comes in and disease is starting and the supt tells the pro shop we have to punch and punch now. This isn't always but it does happen. Opposite is the guy that plans his punch 12 months out. That isn't always best either as they may not need to be punched then.

It really should be a partnership attitude. A supt. Should care for every player and every golfer should care for every blade of grass on the course. When that happens you have happy members and the crew that takes care of the course tries harder. Many don't make much money but when they invest it shows.

All I ask is next time your out remember golf is a very civilized sport, try and act a little more civil. Truly enjoy the whole experience not just the score. Let's be honest if I wanted to hurt your handicap I can. Pin placement, green speeds, tee placement. That also isn't my goal. My goal is to maintain a course for you that allows for even wear while making all holes play as much as they are intended or designed. I can tell you i built a Tom Fazio course once that I know how he intended for the holes to play. Every day I had it set up to play as intended. A supt after me used to set it up very hard after punching holes. I asked him why and he said they want to ***** I'll give them something to ***** about. That wasn't right either. Work together ladies and gents. Golf was intended for pleasure. Make it pleasurable.

From time to time I'll check back and try and add things to help the golfer understand what is happening on their course. For the record i will not dog on a supt or second guess. It is a thankless job. When you see him and like the course point it out. Makes the 70 hours this week a little shorter.

Last thing about poem was I had a member give every guest that poem before their round. He showed me that once and told me it changed his view on the maintenance of the course and he wanted his friends to appreciate their courses and supts when they went back to their home courses. That was to this day one of my best members. If you like it print it out and hand it to your friends. When you think of golf from all aspects you will all work together and the golf gets real good.
Turf96
Some of this is true some I believe to be bogus. Crowning of tees happens over time as you mow the clean up lap and if the soil is higher on a tee. Less crowning happens on tees at ground level or those with hard edges(rock walls or such). When a tee is raised it tends to round off the edges from weight of mowers and also excessive soil moisture at times.

Excess divot fill can increase crowning. If you do chose to fill take time to do it right. Fill it only enough to put back what you took out and make sure and pack it with your foot. Any excess you sweep out helped the tee to raise ever so slightly. It all goes back to doing it with pride and purpose. When I did it I wanted you to fill divots but cared more rather you picked up your broken tees. My first job at Pinehurst was picking up broken tees. I filled a gallon bucket 3 times on 18 holes. That is just bad golfers but it was a high end resort course. Blew me away you would play that kind of track and not be on best behavior.

I'd say follow what's suggested and if you do fill do it with the same eye for detail the designer and construction crew did to the greenside bunker. The care you take of your course.
Trinity Ag
S
Traditions is two weeks past punching, and the greens were rolling well over the weekend.

There are still some thin spots when the divots & sand are visible, but they rolled them on Friday, and they are fast and generally true. I was able to putt very well yesterday.

By next week I expect most of the greens will be back to normal.
TSUAggie
Turf96 said:

Two parts of info. While it may seem like evrytime that your home course gets good and you are bringing in the friends to play the wicked greenskeeper chooses to punch holes, it really isn't you. It has to do with multiple issues. Are they punching for air and water movement? Are they attempting to remove thatch build up? Also it is very scientific as to when is best. Moisture, tempature, and when they can do it are all part of the equation. Making your home greens great really is a multiple pronged approach. There are several ways to aid in air movement and thatch management. Vertical morning, grooming, topdressing, fertilization, and water management all play a big part. While many feel the maintenance just does it to piss you off that just isn't true. A good supt. is as close to your greens as he is to his wife. For me I always watched the new plug, when changing cups, for many signs. Root depth, root color, sand moisture and consistency, thatch layer, and even smell. A great course shouldn't plan when to punch 6 weeks out but punch when it is best for the course. A great program knows when and how often by observation not hitting somebodies calendar. Sure you have major events you work around.

Second is how long it takes to heal. Many factors here as well. I will say higher end courses tend to heal faster. Way to many factors to list but it comes down to man power and equipment in many cases. The more man power and newer equipment make the punch be much cleaner. Running equipment at designed speeds helps greatly. Clean punch heals much faster. Even how fast you get the holes filled back in makes a difference. I wanted sand in the green within 1 hour of last hole punch on that green. Many muni just don't have that man power. How you drag new sand in and even sand quality matter. How are the greens rolled back in for smoothness. Add to that when do they make first mow after and how good are the blades. Mowing fresh sand destroyes bed knives. All of that along with how the nutrient load is before the punch all have an impact on outcome. As listed above 1-2 weeks. That being said I've seen high end courses punch and have great greens 3-4 days later. It all has to do with quality of job, knowledge, -and size and kind of hole punched.

Greens staffs catch way too much flack for what they do. Some suck yes but most are very skilled at what they do. If you want your course punched less take care of the course. Driving your fat butt down the middle of the fairway with a cooler full of beer and your 100 pound golf bag that you look like a dooms day prepper all impact the frequency of maintenance needed. I encourage you all to care for the course and educate yourselves where you can and you will be less concerned about a few little dimples on a green. I know you pay a lot to play but I could share some budget numbers with you guys and you would see owning a golf course is a loss many times. Labor, equipment, and fuel eat up a budget quick. Want to complain about being taken advantage of look at the goods in the pro shop. The course you pay to play has almost no mark up. The shirt you wear my friend and the ball you hit in the drink robbed you blind.

Don't know if you can find it but as an ex supt. See if you can find a poem by Edgar Gist called proof of a golfer. If I find it I will post it. Gave it to a few members back in my day and they almost always became my friend and productive members. Really is about working together.

Hope this helps and doesn't hack any off. I gave up Golf Maintenance a while back. Not best field to raise a family in. I have worked US opens, worked on national top 100 couses and built more than 1 top 50 Texas course. I give this info freely to hope to help you understand why you putt over bumpy greens and why they can't tell you exact dates. It isn't to be a bad product. It is due to the complexity. Many times if greens are terrible be nice and ask if any help can be done. Sometimes they will give you half off next round. Most the time if a course will not work with you it is because they are strapped for cash. You don't build or run a course to get rich. I promise you that.

Hope you find great greens but most of all peace and relaxation out on the old course. Here's to hitting it pure and high and dry.

I'm a golf course superintendent myself, and after reading this I believe you may now be my hero.
DallasAggie89
AG
Heritage Ranch in Fairview punches July 9th.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.