Golfing In BCS

2,292 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexsAggies
TexsAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a question for the locals. I'm coming into town with 3 of my buddies to check out A&M and hopefully play a little golf. We are looking for some good places to play. We are all member of a Club Corp country club as well if that helps. Looking to play 2-3 rounds over the weekend. Coming 7/20 and leaving the 23rd. Thank you for your suggestions/help.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Not sure the local clubs (Traditions, Pebble Creek, Miramont) are in the CC network. If they are, play them. Otherwise, the campus course is probably your best bet. Recently renovated and pretty decent.
byoung1052
AG
Traditions was at one point, not sure if that's still the case.
REMARCH11
AG
Traditions is, I paid 20.00 to play it. Great course, pretty tough!
CCMD
AG
The Campus Course is worth one of the rounds.
KidDoc
AG
I haven't played Briarcest/Phillips/City course in a few months but I really enjoy the layout of that course and the 19th hole/Quarry is pretty nice.

Navasota is so-so. Pretty chill course and fairly wide open for bad golfers like me.

I played Brenham once a few months ago and really liked that course as well but it was in so/so shape.

Obviously if you can afford or get on the private courses in town they are the best. The consensus is that Miramont is best, then Traditions and Pebble Creek are about equal although Traditions is considered more difficult.

edit: The campus course is considered by most to be the best public in town but I prefer Briarcrest due to the layout & trees and more hills. The campus course was awful last weekend with freshly stamped greens but they should be much better this weekend and I'm actually playing it again Saturday afternoon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
07fta07
AG
Traditions is clubcorp and you need to play there. I'd also hit the campus course.
dcrewint
I'd argue that Traditions is the best and toughest course. Miramont would be the best taken care of with a much easier layout than Traditions. I'm a member at PCCC and will tell you that it's not equal to Traditions. It's fun and it's a good course but not equal.

I'd say Campus Course is better than Briarcrest. Briarcrest is more of a challenge. All courses have to aerate and do maintenance, last week just happened to be when the campus course did theirs. They generally bounce back faster than the other public courses.
TexsAggies
AG
Thanks for all the feedback. I think we're going to play the Traditions course and the campus course.
jja79
AG
Bring a lot of balls.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
TXSAGGIE said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we're going to play the Traditions course and the campus course.

Greens will be near perfect by then.

Course is in great shape and the practice facilities compare to the best I've been around

Im a seasonal member with a 15-16 hdcp on my home course with 121 slope. At Traditions Im about 6-7 strokes higher fwiw

Its a 4-6 golf ball round for me
Miramont has a higher course rating from the back tees than Traditions. 74.9 vs 74.6
The scratch golfer would find Miramont to be slightly more difficult.
The slope rating of Traditions is 151 vs 141 for Miramont. This means that the bogey golfer needs his handicap adjusted up more when playing Traditions. The easy explanation is that Traditions has more trouble lurking for the bogey golfer. Things that the scratch player won't be bothered by, but that the bogey golfer will have trouble with.
So according to the USGA, Miramont is harder for the scratch player and Traditions is harder for the average golfer.

It goes back to what you prefer. Both are great courses and rank among the best in Texas according to Golf Digest.

I'll take Miramont's course and conditioning over Traditions every time. Miramont is just fun to play. Traditions - not so much for me.
But I get that others feel differently - but no contest in my book.

BCS for me

Miramont
Traditions
Campus Course
Pebble Creek
Briarcrest
07fta07
AG
Traditions is fairly easy to get on. Miramont is not. It may be a great course, but most people aren't able to play it.
jja79
AG
What is a seasonal member?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
jja79 said:

What is a seasonal member?

Since we're only in BCS about 4-5 months/year, Traditions (and many others) offer discounted golf memberships.

AG
I'm a non-resident member. Wasn't aware they had seasonal.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
jja79 said:

I'm a non-resident member. Wasn't aware they had seasonal.

Thats what im referencing

I used poor terminology
Any initiation fees for non-resident?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
C ROC N said:

Yes. I forgot what it was, but i want to say it was 2/3rds of regular full membership
AG
GDP said:

Miramont has a higher course rating from the back tees than Traditions. 74.9 vs 74.6
The scratch golfer would find Miramont to be slightly more difficult.
The slope rating of Traditions is 151 vs 141 for Miramont. This means that the bogey golfer needs his handicap adjusted up more when playing Traditions. The easy explanation is that Traditions has more trouble lurking for the bogey golfer. Things that the scratch player won't be bothered by, but that the bogey golfer will have trouble with.
So according to the USGA, Miramont is harder for the scratch player and Traditions is harder for the average golfer.

It goes back to what you prefer. Both are great courses and rank among the best in Texas according to Golf Digest.

I'll take Miramont's course and conditioning over Traditions every time. Miramont is just fun to play. Traditions - not so much for me.
But I get that others feel differently - but no contest in my book.

BCS for me

Miramont
Traditions
Campus Course
Pebble Creek
Briarcrest

And FWIW I agree with this assessment

Been fortunate to have been a guest at miramont twice. Both times Saturdays with perfect temps in the 70s-80s

Immaculate

More folks working on the course/club than there was players on the course
AG
C ROC N said:

$3,500
$190/ month
TexsAggies
AG
I would love to play Miramont but its not a reciprocal course. I've heard great things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.