TAMU Women's Coach

25,347 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Slmnsam
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like McCombs has been relieved as head coach. A new search has begun.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
Any ideas/insights as to her replacement?
aggiefan1988
No idea. However, whoever it is will have to be able to recruit quickly. Their last three classes including their incoming class have ranked at the bottom of the SEC. Further, their top recruit from three years ago transferred last year.
GDP
Alabama has 3 girls from Texas on their NCAA runner-up team.
Kristen Gillman from Lake Travis wanted to come to A&M early in her high school career. Our coach did not show any interest or try to recruit her ????? Unbelievable.
KG goes on to set a Junior PGA scoring record at Miramont and a week or two later she wins the 2014 US Women's Am at the ripe old age of 16 !

I talked to her mom at the Jr. PGA at Miramont. KG was all Alabama by the summer of 2014. I think Mom wanted her to stay in Texas - she volunteered this information about Trelle.

Trelle seems nice but you can't swing and miss on the US Am Champion who wanted to be an Aggie. Just my take with a little info from 4 summers ago.
AggieEyes
AG
We need to get rid of all these incompetent folks. I hope Billy Kennedy is next.
jja79
AG
Give it a rest. We've been to 4 Sweet 16's in a hundred years, 2 of those in the last 3 years.
aginlakeway
AG
AggieEyes said:

We need to get rid of all these incompetent folks. I hope Billy Kennedy is next.

I'm not sure you know what incompetent means. Because Kennedy has not been incompetent.
_lefraud_
AG
She had 6 NCAA appearances and two conference titles in 11 seasons. So yea, apparently we have higher expectations for women's golf than we do for men's basketball.
aggiefan1988
Yep - KG wanted to be an Aggie, but McCombs waffled between her and a kid they have their now. Go figure. The indecision is what sent her to Alabama. Just one of the many stories of player mismanagement under her watch. What really rubbed the powers to be the wrong way is the negative impact her husband had on player development or lack thereof. He has no real golf experience, can't break 100 but she put him in as the assistant coach to work with some of the top players in the world. Amazing and you can't make this up. The parents and players in the situation were beyond bewildered. Not surprising that 80% of the players we had got worse over their careers or left the program due to confusion and discontent.

Hats off to Woodward for jumping all over this. We have the best golf facilities in college golf today and need the leadership/coaching to match for the women's program.
magnoliaag
I have a strong opinion of who the next coach should be, but will probably not happen.
VegasT
AG
Who is the current Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saben of women's college golf and how much will it take to get them to Texas A&M?
dcrewint
You're twisting my arm, but I'll do it if I must!
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Who do you think it should be?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Is that true about her husband or just hyperbole? You'd have to be an idiot to put a 20hcp on your staff as an assistant.
Mr.Bond
AG
Being a poor player doesn't mean you can't coach. Jeff Van Gundy can't hoop for ****
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm not taking any swing tips from some hack who can't break 100, especially if I'm playing in college.
Bobaloo
Best of luck to Coach McCombs. She's a really nice lady who loves A&M. Not sure why this happened but let us hope A&M lands a great coach and Coach McCombs finds a great new job.
jja79
AG
Did you know our men's coach doesn't even play golf? He was in media relations before he started coaching.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Nope didn't know that. Doesn't change my opinion. The guy can recruit. Our women's coach couldn't so she's gone. She chose to hire her husband, who according to one poster is an awful golfer. I'm not taking lessons or advice from a bad golfer. Sorry if that bothers some of you.
Mr.Bond
AG
Your opinion doesn't bother me. I simply stated that being poor at an activity personally doesn't automatically mean you can't teach that activity
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

98Ag99Grad
AG
So why do teaching pros have to pass a playing ability test? Generally if someone is giving you swing advice, they need to know what they're talking about.
AgLA06
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

So why do teaching pros have to pass a playing ability test? Generally if someone is giving you swing advice, they need to know what they're talking about.

being able to do something has nothing to do with being a good teacher that can effectively communicate instruction. Matter of fact some of the worst coaches are the best players. It comes natural to them so it makes it difficult for them to understand the struggles of the pupil. Now where they often have the advantage is the mental aspect because they've experienced it.
jja79
AG
It doesn't bother me. Most of the guys at that level have coaches they've worked with and the college coaches are more facilitators I think.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The guy above posted her husband can't break 100 and has no real experience. You think someone like that should be associated with the program in a coaching capacity? Sorry but totally disagree.

And yeah, I know not all coaches are great players in their respective sport. It's just my opinion you need to have some ability to play that sport in order to teach it. I've never met anyone giving golf advice for a living who couldn't at least play a little.
jonj101
I kind of see both sides of this argument. On one hand, the description above concerning her husband seems a little unbelievable.

On the other hand, there are plenty of big name elite coaches who found success guiding some of the most talented players in the world, but couldn't make a dime on the tour with their game. (Butch Harmon comes to mind).

What I don't know, is in college golf, how much does the coach function as a swing coach, versus strategy planning, general guidance of the program, etc?
98Ag99Grad
AG
That's a good point and I don't know either. As I posted above, the men's coach can obviously recruit. How much he actually helps with swings I don't know. The women's coach missed on local talent and if the reports above are true, made a poor choice for an assistant as well.
_lefraud_
AG
In any collegiate sport, an assistant is hired to recruit and/or maybe develop players; it doesn't sound like the husband was doing either.
jonj101
Well whoever comes in needs to find a way to flip Alexa Pano from tu.
jonj101
_lefraud_ said:

In any collegiate sport, an assistant is hired to recruit and/or maybe develop players; it doesn't sound like the husband was doing either.
So in this case, if it was just a deal of a family member going along for the ride and not bringing anything valuable to the program, I could see it raising some eyebrows.
magnoliaag
Most of these girls have their own swing coaches. What stands out to me is a college coach telling a parent they respect their child's swing coaches input but because of their coaching ability wants to add to it (be part of the team). My limited exposure to this is what makes them good at recruiting.
Bobaloo
Probably fair to say we've missed out on some top recruits over the last few years. KG was mentioned. Others are Haley Cooper and Hailey Jones. There aren't many to go around. It is those next level recruits that coaches have to identify, project an upside and develop. I think that's where coaches name their money is identifying and hitting in those players.
aggiefan1988
What made this situation so difficult is the assistant coach (Head Coach's husband) was very active in telling the players what to do, how to practice, sharing his opinions on their swing coaches capabilities, calling yardages, and structuring the practices. With talented kids, this does not work, and kids eventually shut down, which is what happened in multiple cases. Many of the players are infinitely smarter than him from a pure golf and academic standpoint. The kids (not inclusive of the walk-ons) stopped listening to him and did the opposite of what he instructed. Simply stated a good player is not going to listen to a hack. Bad judgment on behalf of Trelle and she was held accountable. The situation bled quickly into the recruiting effort and kids stayed clear. Just a sad situation but again props to the athletic department for watching this situation closely for a while and then making a move.

The difference with the men's team is that they have and have always had very good assistants.

aggiefan1988
Totally agree she is a really nice person but with regard to her loving A&M, I was always a little shocked to learn that she interviewed for the Clemson job two years ago and the Arizona State job three years ago.
VegasT
AG
Do we have a short list yet?
  • Missy Farr-Kaye - Arizona State University
  • Mary Lou Mulflur - University of Washington
  • Anne Walker - Stanford University
  • Dan Brooks - Duke University
  • Andrea Gaston -USC
  • Mic Potter - University of Alabama

Bobaloo
Rumor is we almost immediately got 50 applications.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.