Aiming/Set up

2,021 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 14TheRoad
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having a real problem with my aim and set up lately and I have to constantly put an alignment aid or my club down on my feet to see where I'm aiming. It feels like I'm aiming at the target, but in reality I'm aimed maybe 20Deg right of it.

Any tips or tricks you guys have learned to help with alignment during pre-shot routine?
khaos288
AG
I know multiple people who line up their shoulders, feet, and hips with their club when they address the ball.

It helps a lot.
Tursiops93
AG
I stand behind the ball prior to a shot and pick something 1-2 feet in front of the ball that is in line with the target (broken tee, leaf, etc...). I use that to line up to when I address the ball first, rather than trying to line up to the target which is much further away.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Tursiops93 said:

I stand behind the ball prior to a shot and pick something 1-2 feet in front of the ball that is in line with the target (broken tee, leaf, etc...). I use that to line up to when I address the ball first, rather than trying to line up to the target which is much further away.
Lot of people like this method. My dad swears by it; never really cared for it, personally.

I actually align the clubface to my target first, then square my stance around that. Obviously, I'll visualize back and forth, the way you would align a put.
Icecream_Ag
S
Tursiops93 said:

and setting thru that point.
powerbelly
AG
If you watch the LPGA they often have their caddie check their alignment. Play a few casual rounds and ask you playing partners for help.
yaterag
AG
I assume you are a right handed golfer and right eye dominant by the way you're lining up.

Make sure you come in to line up with your body open. I prefer to walk up parallel to my line, set my clubface behind the ball towards my target, then step the rest of my body square to the line. You can always pick an intermediate spot to aim at but that typically only helps make sure your clubface is square, not your feet.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
yaterag said:

I assume you are a right handed golfer and right eye dominant by the way you're lining up.

Make sure you come in to line up with your body open. I prefer to walk up parallel to my line, set my clubface behind the ball towards my target, then step the rest of my body square to the line. You can always pick an intermediate spot to aim at but that typically only helps make sure your clubface is square, not your feet.
Right handed/left eye dominant.

That's been my problem. It feels like my club face is square to my target line, but my feet, hip, and shoulders are completely off.

Good strategy outlined though. I'll give that a shot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I use that method too, and it works well. The other is that I've simply developed a sense for how much my eye is fooling me, so I basically end up picking a target that is left of my real target.

All that said, when you line up open or in a way that feels open, it's critical to make sure your body gets back to square before you pull the trigger on the swing. I've got a bit of a wiggle and quick glance down that I use to make sure my shoulders, hips, knees are aligned with my feet.
Pahdz
Another question along the same lines, does anyone right handed struggle setting up to a target right of center and avoiding hooking the ever living snot out of the ball? I have never been able to do this, like I almost need to start hitting Bubba like "fades" to these targets.
E
AG
Do you hit the ball straight or have a push right/fade?
Pahdz
Mostly a straight ball hitter
birdman
I pick out an intermediate target. I usually try to find something around five feet ahead of ball. That works for me. But don't talk yourself out of it once you settle up to the ball.
AgsMyDude
AG
I do this exact same thing when I put. Pick a an off color couple of grass blades or divot. Never thought about it on further shots but I'll give that a shot for sure.
cjsag94
AG
I had this problem..and always aligned the way everyone here is suggesting. In a lesson, instructor said to align your body, you should never look at the ball. The spot 2 feet in from of the ball is good for club face alignment, but body/stance alignment should be done by looking at your target. Your brain and body will do the rest.

Last step, looking at the ball, is just to make sure ball is proper location in stance...but don't open or close while making that final adjustment.
suburban cowboy
AG
Get you some your sticks bro
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

but body/stance alignment should be done by looking at your target

Doing that while leaning over and looking to the side is why people have a hard time lining up in the first place. I don't really get this advice at all. Do you line up your putts while standing over the ball and looking at your target? Of course not - you get behind the ball, pick your target point and then line up to that. Same thing should be done for all your shots.

Personally, my sequence is:

pick target line with ball and flag/mound/tree/whatever. Identify object 1-3 feet on that line, in front of the ball. Step into shot, squaring clubface to that point. Visualize parallel line to target line for my feet, and then squaring knees, hips and shoulders to my feet.

Keep in mind that square feet should be made with the heels, not the toes since your front foot is typically flared out. If you line up your toes, you will be slightly closed with your feet and everything else gets off from there.

also remember to not line your feet up to the target, but rather the target line. Once over the ball, you should "feel" slightly open with your stance. Aligning your feet to the target will produce a closed stance.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Still having a little trouble with alignment every once in a while. What Shawn Clement said is this video describes me to a tee... I'll go through the work and pre shot routine of aligning myself with an intermediate point and target line, then in my swing I'll often bail out and bring in the pull.

Need to commit to swinging through the target line.

Anyways, good video if anyone is having similar problems.
Larry S Ross
AG
Perfect timing for me on this subject. Played in scramble recently and the A player was very good. If n the 10th hole after watching me struggle he asked me if he could tell me something about my game. In s nutshell it was you suck at alignment. Worked me on a couple of shots and it shocked how bad off aim I was. Been working on it at range but still have work to do. Still talk myself out using the intermediate target.
14TheRoad
AG
I think its important to have a routine for setting up proper alignment. I've been very lax about alignment in the past only to be surprised constantly by offline shots. After seeking some professional help i learned that i was hitting the ball where i was aimed but i was really bad at getting setup to my target.

Getting a repeatable routine seems to help. I stand behind the ball, pick a spot 1 to 3 feet in front of my ball along my target line, set my club down behind the ball on the line, set my feet parallel to the imaginary line and then go. Once i pick my spot i never look at the target again, as far am i'm concerned the most important part is to get set up on that imaginary line and focus on making a solid swing, looking at the target is purely a distraction after picking my imaginary line.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.